Inova X5 flickering problem, anybody else?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I finally gave my Inova X5 a good workout for the first time as I using it in my car to read by in the dark while waiting for someone. After awhile I noticed it was flickering. Very subtle and intermittent but definitely noticable. I tried moving the head (switch) to different positions but it didn't alleviate the problem. Has anybody else had this problem with the Inova X5? Also does somebody know their web site and/or contact info so I can get ahold of them to talk about warranty repair? It is not the usual www_dot_name_dot_com. I'm afraid to type it out in case it creates a link. Thanks.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy,

Yes, my Inova that I just picked up on Tuesday exhibits very short,and subtle flickering. Just enough to be noticeable and then stops. It occurs maybe once every few minutes.

For me, it is not a big issue for now. It may bother me later, as I become more involved with this *hobby*.

Hope you can find an easy resolution.

Aloha

Brock

Flashaholic
Mine does the same thing. It doesn't flicker all the way off; it is like a flicker between 100% and 80%. It is really weird. I am glad it isn't just my light. It isn't really bad, but it does bug me when it happens. I tried cleaning the contacts, swapping batteries, but it still does it at odd times. That was one of the reasons I thought they might have some odd circuit in there, but I am told it is just a resistor.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same symtoms as you three described. Maybe not bothersome for general illumination but bothersome to read by. It's about three months old. I intend to follow up on this, being a $40 flashlight.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
I guess I'm in the minority then, as I have not observed any brightness deviations in my Inova 5X to date. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Add me to that lucky group. I have three Inovas, two black and one "silver". I've used two of them through one battery change, and the third one through two battery changes. One of them showed some flickering when I first got it several months ago but it quickly went away on its own.

As of now I have no complaints.

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Mine started to flicker not long after I'd greased the thread and O ring. After removing the grease it seemed to help, but the flicker is still there at times.

PhilAlex

Enlightened
No flickering here.

My suspicion is it is inside the head, where the wiper turns the light on and off. Sounds like something is wearing out in there.

Too bad. I liked that "system" better than the "Pressure" method used by the Arc.

(Altho Arc's Foam Ring idea is very elegant... And, absolutely no problems with the Arc at all...)

And the free Chinese Battery that's been in my arc for a month now is STILL going...

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just cleaned the battery posts with alcohol as well as the connection post.

We will see if that makes any difference.

BTY, in case anyone reading this has any doubts, the Inova X5 is one of my favorite lights. I REALLY like this light.

I will buy more when they come out with a tailcap switch in addition to a turning head on switch.

Nothing wrong at all with the twist on switch. Some people like one way, some the other way. As my Dad says, that's why they make Vanilla and Chocolate Ice Cream!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, after cleaning the batteries and posts with alcohol, I took the Inova 5X into my locker room, and it is 100% dark in there when the lights are turned off. No windows, no light from under the door, nothing.

I did not see any flickering at all. Maybe the Alcohol did the job.

And again, it wasn't really flickering, (IMO), it was more like brightness variations, like 80% bright, 100% bright.

And turning the light on again in total darkness reminded me just how much white, useable, even light this little guy puts out.

And just to test, I pulled out my ARC AAA, and while the 5X is brighter, it is nice to know that you could manuver around in a totally dark room just as easily with an ARC AAA as you can with an Inova X5.

Given the choice, I would choose the 5X any day, but it is nice to know that the ARC AAA is always with me!

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a slight problem with the X5 flickering at first. A little of the SF conductive lube stopped it from happening again.
It's a shame that such an elegant sprung post system seems to be unreliable.

(Btw, there was a longish discussion on this about 4? months ago. If you search just the Topic Headings that should find it.)

lightlover

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine does that too. The light output kind of looks like a flourcescent light when it first starts up.

Not all the time, however.

Let me know what you find out.

I am waiting to buy another inova when they release the tail cap version.

WaltH

Enlightened
I too am waiting on the tactical version with titanium type III anodizing. If they don't iron out the flicker I will definitely pass on the X5.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I guess I'm in the minority then, as I have not observed any brightness deviations in my Inova 5X to date. I'm only on my second set of batteries though, so it may crop up in the future, at which time I'll note it in my evaluation.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geepondy

Emissive Energy Corporation
5 Division Street
Warwick, RI 02818-3800
Tel: 401.541.9001
Fax: 401.541.9004

Talk to Robert, he's incharge of engineering

Jeff