Glow Powder Pics

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
Well I got some glow powder from Doug yesterday from part of that deal that went down a while back and boy I am impressed!
First off I would like to thank you Doug as it was very pleasant to deal with you and your extra's knocked my socks off
smile.gif

I had ordered 20g of blue/green Nichia glow powder but got 21g + 4.7g of green and a nice big sheet of alien skin!!!

Here of some shots of the product:

This first one if of everything in normal indoor light with some other objects tossed in for reference.

From left to right (bottom) clear nail polish with blue/green powder in it, a bag of blue/green powder in it, a strip of paper painted with blue/green, and finaly a bag of green powder on the right.
Now everything is sitting on the big sheet of alien skin and my trusty arc le and arc aaa uv are above with a green and a purple traser glow ring respectivly.

lowlight.JPG

This next image was taken after being exposed to a black light for many min at close range and then turned off in a pitch black room.

rightafter.jpg

And finally this image is taken after about 20-30min of being in the pitch black room.

I removed the nail polish because it was not good to have the bottle tipped like that for a long amount of time and the strip I painted because I was using it for somthing else.

awhile.jpg

I will confirm that blue/green takes longer to charge and that the green seem brighter off the hop - BUT blue/green is way brighter in the long run.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
That nichia stuff is awesome!
cool.gif
I'm not sure if I'm mixing it right, but the strontium aluminate glowpowder I got from green Luminous Tech isn't all that impressive. I guess I'm gonna be a Nichia convert. Great pix, Orby! Thanks!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pictures-Mr. OrBy
smile.gif
, and glad you're having great results.
Edit-4/11: The Finished painted surface looks FOUR times as impressive as just looking at the pigment by itself!
shocked.gif

BTW-I've painted the very bottom tips of a couple of my own glowrings with the blue/green coating, and it compares favorably with the Tritium tubes for almost an hour
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif

p.s.-a better "charge-up"-IMO, for the glow surface than just filtered blacklight, is to hold it about 2-3" just below a standard cool white fluorescent lamp for about 30-40 seconds.

hotfoot-it might help you to check out a couple of extra tips I've just added to the Getting a Great Glow post of a couple days ago.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
mr glow,

caught your post - and hey - we're both using clear nailpolish! you know what they say about 'great minds'
smile.gif

i'm using Sally Hansen's nail strengthener, to be more precise. however, i think I went OTT and put in way too much powder. yours is a much lighter mixture. i used my mixture on the inside of a mod with a techass ergo, done up with an internal UV LED to charge up the gitd. nice, but i wish i had that bluegreen nichia to try out side by side. i have a feeling that nichia stuff will still come out on top.

have you tried a comparo yourself?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:
mr glow,

caught your post - and hey - we're both using clear nailpolish! you know what they say about 'great minds'
smile.gif

i'm using Sally Hansen's nail strengthener, to be more precise. however, i think I went OTT and put in way too much powder. yours is a much lighter mixture. i used my mixture on the inside of a mod with a techass ergo, done up with an internal UV LED to charge up the gitd. nice, but i wish i had that bluegreen nichia to try out side by side. i have a feeling that nichia stuff will still come out on top.

have you tried a comparo yourself?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
-Right,
wink.gif
the "nail-finish" is great because it's quick, simple, and effective. Great idea to implant that UV LED also.:p

About that Green stuff you got-it should give off a Very respectable glow (properly mixed and applied) for several hours.....But it has been my experience (and others) that the blue/green. color still gives the best performance.

p.s.-having just received a new Cree "megabrite" key-chain UV light from Ebay ($6.), the glow surfaces I have developed can be charged up to almost astoundingly bright levels in the dark.
shocked.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

KenBar

Enlightened
I wonder what would happen if you painted the inside reflector of the Arc with the paint?.....or the white reflector of the PAL?

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I wonder what would happen if you painted the inside reflector of the Arc with the paint?.....or the white reflector of the PAL? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am going to try this with my arc aaa le at some point when I have a bit more time. I will post my results when I do

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
I wonder what would happen if you painted the inside reflector of the Arc with the paint?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Ken, would that be the UV Arc?
grin.gif

Harrkev

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
I wonder what would happen if you painted the inside reflector of the Arc with the paint?.....or the white reflector of the PAL?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmmmm

Doesn't the PAL light already glow if the batteries are in it???

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ummmmmm

Doesn't the PAL light already glow if the batteries are in it???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you are correct - the pal light does glow dimly all the time if its got any power left.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OrBy:
I am going to try this with my arc aaa le at some point when I have a bit more time. I will post my results when I do<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly my plan. My Infinities and Arcs will get the treatment.

- Darell