Once you go Surefire, it's tough to go back

mixerman

Newly Enlightened
Once you go Surefire, it\'s tough to go back

Having had a few surefires now for a year or so, I must say that I am now ruined as far as buying other flashlights goes. I bought a streamlight twintask yesterday just for the heck of it and I am very dissapointed. The beam is yellow and spotty and the LED mode looks like three circles converging into one. IF I had bought the streamlight before I had ever heard of surefires, I would have thought it was the neatest brightest light in the world.

USMCsilver

Newly Enlightened
Re: Once you go Surefire, it\'s tough to go back

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've got 3 weapon lights (618, M962, & M900a) and a few handhelds and just can't give them up. I know better than to go pissing money away on anything that does not have the Surefire name on the side.

mixerman

Newly Enlightened

Hey Silver, how have you liked your 618? I have thought about getting one for my 870. Any thoughts would be great, thanx.

Flashlight Enthusiast

The incandescent Surefires and 5-watt Led Surefires are hard to beat--love everyone I own. Only the Arc 4+ is in the same ballpark, IMO.

However....the 1-watt Surefires (L1 Lumamax especially) has some of the worst LED tint that I have ever owned, plus a flawed/artifact full beam. While the fit and finish of my L1s is superb like all Surefires, the beam is horrible (which is strange, since most Surefires have top notch beams).

I think Surefire does a great job with flashlights that use their textured reflectors, but their optics based lights like the Lumamax L1 are disapointing, at best. Just IMO, YMMV

lightemup

Flashaholic*

Mixerman: agreed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Although Inova is making tracks...

I've heard about and seen one dodgy L1, but I think the L1 I got is of the newer breed, and its very good. I know this much, the low is much lower than 12 lumens, and the high (by my eyes) is much higher than 20 lumens...

SteveD

Newly Enlightened

I can relate, definitely.

I just canceled an order for a C3 after agonizing between it and a Pila G3. I'm sure the Pila G3 is a fine light, but I had finally decided I'd better stick w/Surefire. I'm not buying this light out of a specific real need (although I've got rationalization to spare ;-) so any little thing will bug me.

But, then I got second thoughts, and Surefire hadn't shipped my order yet (after two days) and I decided to cancel and rethink.

Of course, now that I've cancelled I'm rethinking again ;-)

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

My two SureFires are two of my best lights, but not my only "best" lights.

Some of my other lights have earned "best light" ranking because they offer the best value or balance of virtues.

SureFires are so well executed they are almost like jewelry. Still, I appreciate a budget priced, but well made, good value, light because anybody should be able to produce a good, price-no-object light.

It's fun to own extremes in portable lighting implements.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an e2e it is great but
I think a scorpion is better because it has a spare bulb
and costs about 30 bucks

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will never let go of my Surefire. It is quite hard really to let go. Despite the fact that I am having some ache in my heart seeing the E2D tear my brand new 5.11 tactical pants after a day or two of carrying it, which makes EDC quite impractical, I still love the E2D.

Surefire has a certain feel to it, either cosmetic or beam quality. I love my M3 too as well as my E1e with KL1. In fact I love Surefire so much that I would rather be saving up for the M6 than to waste my money buying other brands of light that performed similarly to my E2e.

Both me and my friend agreed that if we have limited budget, and we want to collect flashlights, then go for the best and not waste money buying into other brands. Of coursse I had been tempted time and again to purchase other brands as well but I told myself to be steadfast.

SJACKAL

Enlightened

Maybe I should get a M3 too... in a few months. A bit regret buying some cheaper lights recently, they are good but they just never compare to Surefire...

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
I have an e2e it is great but
I think a scorpion is better because it has a spare bulb
and costs about 30 bucks

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, an E2e with a KL1 or KL4 (L4) is even better cos you don't have to change any bulbs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, I love my E2e/KL1, E1e and G2 as well! Just a few days ago, I was just sitting down and admiring my E2e and it reminded me of when I got my 1st SF, the E1e. My 1st impression was that its a very solidly built light. This feeling was amplified even more when I got a E2e body and fitted my KL1 onto it, it just downright felt like it was built like a tank! As I admired the grooves and finish of the lights, I remembered again why I choose to pay a premium on lights like these. As SJackal pointed out, there are other nice lights that are cheaper, but for a light that has a great form factor and built, coupled with functionality and flexibility, it is worth the money. That's why I've never looked back on my SF purchases... (and also why I own only 3 SFs...)

glockman99

Newly Enlightened

Well, I guess there has to be a dissenter in every group, and I'm it today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I've had quite a few Surefires (3P, 6P and 9P mainly), but I recently bought a Streamlight Twin Task 2L, and I actually like the Streamlight BETTER than the Surefires! I guess it's due to the dual lighting systems, the longer run times on a set of batteries, and the much lower bulb replacement cost of the Streamlight. While it's true that the Surefire does have a "better" shine to its' light, I can live with that shortcoming of my new Twin Task.

...Now, if only Streamlight would make a Twin Task 3L, I'd be totally happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

I own six different types of StreamLights because they offer the some of the best values in their category.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flashaholism needs, in addition to a true love for the light, a close-to-maniacal addiction for perfection, that can well extend to other aspects of the practical life.

I own the entire PT, Inova and Streamlight line of lights. When I watch my shelf of lights I get upset, because I think I could have used those money to buy some more SF and Arcs.
SF makes masterpiece flashlights, by using high end mechanical and electrical components coupled with high precision machining, that makes their light feels as unfailing lighting tools in the hand. Arc brings enginering rationale to the till, so their lights are, other than perfect tools, a proof-of-concept that is a pleasure to handle.
Other lights are designed to provide photons at business end, stop. Here you can calculate the best bang for the buck. In the case of SF and ARC, you also pay for the feeling of solid engineering and accuracy to details, that ultimately lead to a better relaybility.
In other words, SF and Arc include a bit of art in their manufact...

Anthony

JOshooter

Enlightened

Another reason is that they do make government lights, which means one thing, Quality!

USMCsilver

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
mixerman said:
Hey Silver, how have you liked your 618? I have thought about getting one for my 870. Any thoughts would be great, thanx.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a great light, more of a toy than anything I guess, just like all of my weapon lights. I mean, yeah, they are nice to have, but realisticly, they rarely get used.

I have the 618 on my 870 which is resting on hooks which are mounted on the rails under my bed. The light is bright and efficient and takes the recoil of 3" buckshot just fine. The ergonomics are pretty good, but, the pressure switch could be better positioned, but that is just me.

Here's my baby that the 618 is mounted on:

870attach.jpg

Aloft

Enlightened

Yep, Surefire makes a fine light (when you can get one. . . I'm interested primarily in their LED lights), but the cost is high! I'll join Glockman99 and dissent a bit along with my fellow Washingtonian. . . Inova is making some great strides and still sells for less. I love my X1, my XO is a great value compared to SF, and I'm drooling for the XO3 and T3. But I'm really looking forward to Elecktrolumen's XM3. . . Wayne's produced some great lights, several of which I own, and it runs on AA's. . . a virtual L4 for $50, I hope! And the upcoming Zorch will hopefully give the E1E/KL1 some competition as well. Longbow's Micra is already the E1E's equal in value, IMO. I guess I'll have to buy more Surefires to make sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I only have a stock G2, and a G2 with a KL3 (what a putrid pink/purple tint!).

The G2/KL is unbalanced. The head is massive.

The regular G2 is nice! But it's too bright for much of my needs.

So I EDC (most of the time) a Streamlight Twintask 2L. With the LEDs being usefull enough at least 80% of the time (and since I use a Kroll switch to get to them) the TT2L clearly beats SF in MY case.

Sure, an A2 MIGHT be just as good... But at some 4-6 times the cost!

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, the more lights I buy of the "other" brands, the less attractive I find the Surefires, considering the price and availability etc issues. I thought I needed a SF U2, but after seeing more photos and reading more about it, I'm spending my hard earned dineros elsewhere.