Good computer speakers for around $100

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy with your ears, not your eyes.
Go to a good store with working demos and choose your weapons/ err speakers there for best value. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I got my pc speakers for $40, but they sounded better than many for $100+ at the store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Monsoon's are incredible. The trick is finding them. After a bunch of web surfing, I started looking for some Monsoon MM-700 speakers. The only ones I could find on the web at the time were referbs. I picked up a pair for my wife and I liked them so well, I got another pair for myself. I think I paid like $80 for the referbs... Well worth it.

This isn't the place I got mine, but the source I used dried up. Mine were listed as factory referbs.

ztradingpost.com

-john

hungryforlasers

Enlightened
Have you tried
ebayLogo.gif
?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a kick butt sound system on my computer
but it cost far more than 100.00

200 watts rms to the sub

400 watts rms to the speakers

1200 watts worth of power supply transformers

dolby digital-dts es 6.1 and dvd audio
audigy 2 sound card 106 db snr

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi V8,

Don't know if it's possible on your pc, but if you've got a s/pdif (digital) output on your pc, you can hook it directly to your home stereo. If that won't work, do you need a 5.1 setup or just stereo?

iddibhai

Enlightened
stereo only or multichannel surround?

good place to start:

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews.html#Speakers

very detailed reviews on PC speakers, worth a look, even tho it is old (get a good idea of what manufacturers there are (esp in the upper price reaches) and then you go to their website and see if they have updated offerings). tomshardware.com has nice reviews/comparos in the peripherals section, they do at least a couple each year. between these two sites you should be able to get a nice idea.

Lucien

Enlightened
Ditto what 3rd_shift said. Sometimes it boils down to which speakers in particular sound best to you.

Myself I was looking around and found the Altec Lansing MX5021. That goes on my wish list. Don't know the price in the States, but I suspect its over the $100 mark.

They just started advertising for an upcoming MX5020, wonder how that will sound...

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
3dsoundsurge reviews are all several years old.

Cambridge are nice, I have a set of those, like my MM700 Monsoons far more.

I have a set of ALTECs, but you can't get anywhere near the sound for your 100 bucks. The more expensive Altecs are much better though.

Bill

Bill

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing those speakers for sale a long time ago. They do kick butt!

I was doing some more research and found really good reviews on the KLipsch GMX 5.1 Surround system. Seems like there has been a recent price drop so now its $200. I will get that when I get my G5 (as soon as my fin aid check gets here!)

BF Hammer

Enlightened
In the past I've used an old stereo amplifier and speakers purchased from a rummage sale. You just need a receiver or amp that has auxilury inputs and some good bookshelf sized speakers. The old Radio Shack Minimus-7's cast-metal speakers are very good but not magnetically shielded. These things pop up in rummage sales every so often as people get new home-theater equipment.

I used to use an old Lloyds 1970's vintage bookshelf stereo system with full sized speakers on my old Commodore 64 about 20 years ago. Kicked butt over the 3-inch speaker built into my monitor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 6 radio shack minimus 7 speakers(wood case model) with a home theatre reciever that has a 800 watt power supply hooked up to my computer

and a kick butt tuned labryinth sub with 2 orion 6.5 inch carbon fibre drivers(origianlly for a small car) and a dedicated amp with a 400 watt supply.

ebay is a great source for minimus 7's

truely a great sounding inexspensive little speaker.

they won awards in their day

Glenn

Enlightened
Re Turbodog's "POWERED PARTNERS" :

I also had three pair of these GREAT speakers.
one on the computer, one on the TV and one pair hooked to a
tuner at work.
I sold one pair.....fortunately to my Brother.
He appreciates good sound.

Glenn