Eternalight Xray...GOOD STUFF!!!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got home today, and I find my Eternalight waiting for me in the mailbox.

Open up the packaging (nice job by the Hosfelt guys BTW!) and light her up!

Well, not quite, the thing wouldn't turn on at first. As I am unscrewing the casing, the lights go on...at least it works! I take out the alkalines, slip in some lithiums and put everything back together. I would not want to do this procedure in the dark!!

Checked the brightness and color against my recently purchased Inova X5, and I noticed a few things:

1) The Inova gives off a whiter light (with a tiny tiny hint of green) while the Eternalight gives off a white light, but slightly leaning toward a blue tint.

2) They are both bright! Though the Eternalight actually seems a bit brighter to my eye.

3) Though the led configuration is different, they both throw a nice *round* hotspot.

The fact that the Eternalight seemed brighter than the Inova got me wondering because I was under the impression that the Xrays (not the Elite) were not quite as bright as the Inova.

Then, I remembered reading a thread in this forum (sorry, don't know the exact one) about how some of the Xrays made around December may have the brighter Nichias in them and it got me wondering...

So, I open it back up and check it out. It COULD be that I am one of the lucky guys!! If I misread the thread, and I have the *regular* leds, then I can't wait to get the newer models with the new leds!

I will definitely be checking into more Eternalights in the future!!!

Aloha
Brian

Sorry for the rambling, but this light exceeded my expectations!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Brian.

I've been meaning to get an Eternalight, but my credit card needs to cool off first from some headlamp purchases. Now I'm tempted again.
shocked.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux,

Sorry I don't have the means and the nowhow to post some pics, but I am really impressed.

Aloha

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big Honu,

Welcome to the eternalight lubbers club! Heck, I wuz so impressed I became a dealer!
smile.gif
Excellent choice with the XRay.

Tip for you: In any other eternalights other than the Elite XRay and Elite Marine, tape the batteries together first with and then put them all in at one go. It'll take a bit of dexterity still, but better than one battery squirming out just when you've got the other two in. The tape also pretty darn well eliminates the batteries from shifting even the slightest when the light is impacted heavily (which might occur during shipping, as in your case apparently). The Elites have an improved battery case, but I'd recommend this taping thing to anyone with an Elite too for that extra measure securedness.

Enjoy!
cool.gif
grin.gif

KenBar

Enlightened
Good suggestion Hotfoot.

I also fold a Postit note about a quarter inch wide and use it as a "shoe horn" to seat the battery spring...then slide it out.

I also take the sticky edge of the Postit, cut it in a strip as wide as the foam strips that press the battery down, and press it to the strips. This keeps the strips from yanking the batteries out when I open them to check it. The paper is thin enough to compress, stick securely, and not get in the way.

Of course....the new model has none of these problems. I gave my old models away to good friends. I just love the new brass inserts model.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
...the strips. This keeps the strips from yanking the batteries out when I open them to check it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah - that is a good suggestion. It always freaks me out just a little to open up my Ergo and have the batteries stuck to the strips. Thanks, Wolfman!

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought all "Elite" series Eternalights had the higher output nichias (6400 mcd). That's what I remember from previous threads anyway. Is yours an Elite XRay or the older regular XRay?

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carl:
I thought all "Elite" series Eternalights had the higher output nichias (6400 mcd). That's what I remember from previous threads anyway. Is yours an Elite XRay or the older regular XRay?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carl,

I have the regular Xray, and not the Elite. The reason why I mentioned that my Xray may have the newer LEDs in it was based off of the information in the thread titled "My wishlist come true from Eternalight". The reference to the LED types begins on page 4 I believe. I could be reading the whole thing wrong...wouldn't be the first time. Try doing a search on "Eternalight Elite".

Aloha

BTW, the last post on page 2 of the same thread is where it is first mentioned about the "S" Rank Nichias being in some Xrays.

Latest posts