Maglite Maker to Build New Ontario Complex

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
LA Times article

"Mag Instrument Inc., the maker of Maglite flashlights, plans to build a headquarters and manufacturing plant in Ontario that the company says would create 1,600 jobs over the next three years.

The 700,000-square-foot facility would replace Mag Instrument's existing Ontario headquarters and factory. An unspecified number of Mag Instrument jobs in other states would move to the new complex.

Privately held Mag Instrument, with annual sales of about $250 million, employs 800 people...."

Sounds like something's afoot; new production lines for LED lights maybe?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

buba

Newly Enlightened
I would think their lowest cost entry into LED's would be to design and build a drop in module for their current product line. They could also sell the module as an upgrade kit to the millions of Mag owners via their current mass market distribution channels. If they were real smart they would have an initial offering on store shelves by this holiday season.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the local Walmart that tried to rip me off, it's doubtful that I will contribute to their bottom line, anymore. They'd have to produce an absolutely, must have, light, for cheap, before I'd even consider it.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
But, the mantra they continue to chant over and over again when you challenge their legal department is that they are saving american jobs in their factories by suing everyone. I guess they will have to come up with a new argument, perhaps now they are saving North American jobs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

that being said, I'm sure their LED products will be like their regular offerings. High quality construction, decent performance, but a considerably different focus for their production than what we expect around here.

Thats not to say that there won't be some excellent bodies there for modding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
pe.com (reg. req'd)

"Mag Instrument Inc. founder Tony Maglica said he possibly could triple his profits by moving his company out of the Inland Empire, but he couldn't live with that decision.

On Wednesday, Maglica announced plans for a major expansion of the company's Ontario plant that could bring 1,600 new jobs to the city....

In a release, the company estimates it will spend $80 million for its new headquarters. With the new facilities, Mag Instruments is also planning to roll out new products to expand from its core, $250 million flashlight business. Maglica declined to discuss the new product lines, citing competitive concerns...."

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps this new factory, which has no doubt been in development for quite some time, is the reason Mag hasn't launched an led light yet. Maybe they will fit the new factory for this type of production.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Product speculation, now this is entertainment. I'll put my money on them reintroducing the two-tone, large-head, 10C models. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, it'll be interesting to see what they have in the works. Other than their legal department, Mag can be a very good thing in the flashlight world because of their size. Good quality, wide distribution network, huge production capability, etc. They can sell 3D flashlights that are more complicated than a first-gen SF 6P for half what the Surefire costs.

$20 LED Minimags? Tactical lights? New rechargables for the growing small-light police market?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say a 5mm LED version of the Solitaire and Luxeon versions of 3-6D and 3-4C Mags. It would be very easy for Mag to slap a Luxeon in their existing lights...an LED and a resistor.

On the other hand, Mag might only use LEDs in their smaller lights. The minimag is my biggest question, will they use multiple 5mm LEDs or a Luxeon? Will they use simple voltage boosters or add some sort of regulation? A twisty or clickie switch?

If they can make a minimag for $25 with a twistie switch, voltage regulation and a 300mA Luxeon... I can see them selling a hell of a lot of them. Think of them as the gateway drug of Luxeon flashaholism.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
But, the mantra they continue to chant over and over again when you challenge their legal department is that they are saving american jobs in their factories by suing everyone. I guess they will have to come up with a new argument, perhaps now they are saving North American jobs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ontario California is still America /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(can't assume Ontario is only in Canada)

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Eugene said:
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ontario California is still America /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

not by much

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
I would say a 5mm LED version of the Solitaire and Luxeon versions of 3-6D and 3-4C Mags. It would be very easy for Mag to slap a Luxeon in their existing lights...an LED and a resistor.

On the other hand, Mag might only use LEDs in their smaller lights. The minimag is my biggest question, will they use multiple 5mm LEDs or a Luxeon? Will they use simple voltage boosters or add some sort of regulation? A twisty or clickie switch?

If they can make a minimag for $25 with a twistie switch, voltage regulation and a 300mA Luxeon... I can see them selling a hell of a lot of them. Think of them as the gateway drug of Luxeon flashaholism.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree. It's easy for us CPF'ers to think that. But for the "mass market" general user, take note that a $25 price is triple the cost of a MiniMag. I think Joe Schmoe shopping the aisles of their Target store will only be willing to spend, at most, just a few bucks premium over the cost of a standard MiniMag for the LED alternative. That means it probably has to come down into the $12 or so range to really get the volumes Mag probably finds attractive enough to commit to.

Some folks around here don't like Mag very much (I'm not one of them), but Mag certainly isn't dumb. I'll bet they've studied this "9 ways till Sunday" and haven't yet come up with a feasible way to get the price for a Mag-quality light down to what they consider a truly mass-market level. Whether we like it or not, they just aren't going to be very interested in producing a "specialty" lite for hobbyists. They want the big volume which they'll only get with a dramatically lower price than has been yet seen.

Along with many others, I eagerly await that day, but I don't think it's just around the corner.

Cheers,

Dave

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
New "products," not new "flashlights." Hmm, could it mean Mr. Gaglite is expanding into other fields? Perhaps he's finally seen the light, that he can't keep up with cutting edge flashlight technology... Then again, his use of the word "products" might just be a ruse, or it might mean nothing at all... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
"new products to expand from its core" A LED flashlight would be considered a new product. I would be very surprised if LED lights were not part of this expansion and considering how inexpensive mag product has been, it would stand to reason that a new facility would be required for an entry of new LED flashlights.

nonbox

Banned
All I have to say is Mag stands by their product and their customer service is top notch. I sent my 5D Mag back to them twice because my batteries leaked and they promply took care of it. I would guess that most of us flashaholics own a Mag currently or have owned a Mag in the past.

Its a very good flashlight for a low price.

I know most of you want them to compete with SF or Arc. Perhaps they don't want to spend big money on R&D and marketing for an entirely new high end line of flashlights.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
nonbox said:
All I have to say is Mag stands by their product and their customer service is top notch. I sent my 5D Mag back to them twice because my batteries leaked and they promply took care of it. I would guess that most of us flashaholics own a Mag currently or have owned a Mag in the past.

Its a very good flashlight for a low price.

I know most of you want them to compete with SF or Arc. Perhaps they don't want to spend big money on R&D and marketing for an entirely new high end line of flashlights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of us on CPF keep forgetting that mag is a nice light. Even with a ringy beam, it IS focusable which brings some nice benefits. There is always the candle mode and extra bulb. I know a LOT of people who wouldn't have a surefire/arc if you gave it to them with a lifetime supply of batteries. They don't want a light that won't run over 2 hours without dying.

You know, your visual system is really remarkable. Unless the beam is held perfectly still a ringy beam that is moved around a little will provide the same amount of light that a surefire beam will.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I credit them for is the Solitaire, which was really a decent EDC in its day before we had all these awesome lights. It seems like we've had LEDs and all forever, but thinking back, five years ago (1999), LumiLEDs didn't even exist. How many of your favorite EDCs didn't either? Most of us started that way. You're right about moving the beam, I used to flick the light a lot, but I prefer fixed focus and a smooth beam these days.