Streamlight JR vs. Elektrolumens XM-3: pros & cons

MY

Enlightened
I am looking to buy several 2xAA powered LS lights to give as presents. Currently, the Streamlight JR and XM-3 are the top two candidates. Can folks who knows both llights give me an opinion? A balance between runtime and lumens is important. Are there other 2xAA LS lights that I should consider?

Regards.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, the XM-3 will probably be the stronger performer (3 watt?), but it will sell for $40.-introductory, and later, $49.95.

The Streamlight Jr. seems to be a great buy -with more than than adequate all around performance, AND is selling for less than $30. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Aloft

Enlightened
Re: Streamlight JR vs. Elektrolumens XM-3: pros &

I've got a Streamlight and it's an impressive light, especially considering the price. But Streamlight "does not recommend the use of Lithium batteries. . . They will void your warranty and may damage the light" according to a response I got from their customer service department (though this inquiry did not specifically ask about the Jr.). This makes it less than desirable for use in a car glove box or emergency kit, IMO. Wayne Johnson has stated clearly that lithiums are OK in the XM3. Since his creation has not yet been released, beam or output comparisons have not been done. . . it sounds like the XM3 will be brighter from the specs. Elektrolumens makes some fine lights. . . I've got a Blaster Jr, a HyperBlaster 1R, a Blaster 3P, and (the brightest flashlight I own!) a TriStar 4D. All are well constructed, bright and white, so I'm really looking forward to the XM3. I guess since you've been a member so much longer than me, the phrase "buy both and compare" is quite familiar!

oldtimer

Enlightened

The XM-3 is the one to beat qualitywise right now but with so many unreleased products.. they usually fall short of our expectations. =/ I sure hope this one won't have as much problems as the XM-2.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

The following BS is just my projections for the XM-3 and experience with the SL Jr. Luxeon...

I have had the joy of taking apart six SL Jr. Luxeons and have some issues. The way they sink the heat to the head is not that good, the puppy runs rather hot. The other thing is the bin code of the Luxeons are generally P with one being Q. This is actually quite good considering Arc LS Premiums used those bins. The XM-3 uses Luxeon IIIs with a minimum code of S so it will always be brighter.

The XM-3 has a barrel 1/4" thick and a large head with ridges to cool the Luxeon down. There will never be any problems with heat on this beast! The XM-3 has a clip mounted on the side so that option is cool and all parts are easily replacable for modders.

The Jr. uses a low dome and the XM-3 uses a high dome Luxeon. The high dome will throw farther if that is your thing. Jr. has a optic and XM-3 uses a reflector... the XM-3 should have much more light and throw much farther.

As far as light output, throw and cooling goes, the XM-3 is the obvious winner. Those giant walls will make it very durable and it should be waterproof. Should the XM-3 kick butt on all fronts? No.

The XM-3 is slightly longer and much larger in diameter than the SL Jr. Luxeon. Those thick walls will add weight if that bothers some folks. The SL Jr. has the XM-3 beat in regards to run time. My estimate is the Jr. should beat the XM-3 by 30-40% due to the Elektrolumens running at 600mA. I would use rechargables to get the runtime in around 2 hours.

The SL is cheaper, smaller and is easier on batteries and $10-20 cheaper than the XM-3. If I was giving lights as gifts, I would have to think what the person will do with the thing. If they are flashaholic types, I would send them the XM-3 with a two-pack of Sanyo 2500mAH NiMH batteries. If they wanted to use lithiums, the XM-3 would get the nod also. If a 2AA light for general purposes is needed, they want to use "normal" alkalines and cost is a factor... the SL Jr. Luxeon is a great light.

Isn't life grand when two great lights are fighting it out at a cost of $40? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast

^Thats a little concerning that a flashlight that is run so hot has poor heatsinking. I like my Streamlight Luxeon Jrs a lot, but its disconcerning to learn that their heatsinking isn't good (which means the LED life will be reduced significantly).

For example, I already have had a Streamlight 4AA LED (the 7 5mm LED with plastic body) that died due to poor heatsinking and overdriving (one of the LEDs died, followed by several of the others soon after). If the Luxeon Jr. is also both overdriven and not well heatsinked, I wonder if the same will eventually happen to it?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doesn't Streamlight have a life time warranty? If so, just replace it if it ever develops problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

MY

Enlightened

Thanks for all the responses. I had a XM2 and was impressed with the light output and beam, but was quite dissapointed with the switch, lens, size and weight. For a 2xaa light, the XM3 seems awlful big but as was pointed out, it should aid in cooling.

Any other 2xAA lights that one should consider?

Regards.