Arc4 public beta test of new switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have selected 2 testers for the new rev3 switch design: CPF'ers "T_I_N" and "CM".

As some of you may know, there is a problem with some Arc4 switches not working properly. These problems were basically a result of intolerance to variations in battery/mechanism length and to drops of more than a couple of feet on hard surfaces.

This test is for a new switch variation intended for the rev3 production light. The switch is also designed to be a retrofit for rev1 and rev2 lights.

We have been working on this for quite a while and it has been my singular passion. I have driven everyone nuts around me working on this switch. I tested quite a few methods and variations before settling on the unit we are currently testing.

I have encouraged Cris and Ray to post their thoughts, pictures, video, etc here.

Peter

KingSmono

Enlightened
woo-hoo! Can't wait to see some action shots!

PS. That mean you're sticking around for a while Ray? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to results of drop tests on the Rev3 button!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

I've been so afraid of dropping my replacement Arc4+ Rev2 since my original Rev1 had it's microswitch broken from a drop of only 2+ feet on the button..

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bam Bam Bam... Dropped it 20 times tail cap first from a height of 6ft to concrete. It probably hit full force on the switch around 12 times. Boy this is gonna be fun, being allowed to abuse a $180 flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif For me personally, the test is concluded as this many drops tail on would probably never be realized in real life. However, my job is to put the switch to the test and the next round will be from higher heights. I need to go find a ladder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ...

CM

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW.. It's nice to hear that the switch still works after being abused in that fashion!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, does the new switch look any different? Was wondering if Peter could post pix when he has one.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Peter for following up on this.
CM how is the feel as compared to the older version.
How are the different batteries effecting the new tailswitch?

Thanks

mut

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh I hate dropping them but it has to be done for the sake of science. Let us know how it works with different batteries, etc.

I have been working on this switch problem for quite a while. We looked at packaged switches, loose domes, tactile magnetics (duraswitch), conductive rubber, foams, levers, rear switch designs, collars, various alloys, etc.

Each had their pros and cons of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Besides increasing the range, tactile and shock resist, I also increased the activation pressure by another pound or so. It now ranges from about 5-7lbs. Some people may not like this but I think it adds a few advantages like a more definate action, increased durability, less rattle, better grip on the battery, less likelyhood of a reset when holding the light by biting the rubber boot, less accidental activation in the pocket, pouch or luggage (interested in Ray's results on that esp), etc.

I'll drop my tester some more tomorrow and try to post some pics and video. I really want to hear what the other testers have to say though, I have been working this problem for so long I think I have tunnel vision and nothing is "good enough" anymore for me.

Everyone I have shown the new switch to say they like the way it feels better than the old switch. But the best test is for you to try it yourself of course, you may or may not like it. Btw, the switch is still about as quiet as the previous version so it keeps it's stealth. You can feel it click but the sound itself is muted. You have to put it to your ear to hear the activation.

It's kind of hard to show in a picture the improve "feel". If there is a particular picture you want, I can see what I can do though. What I have noticed is the new version takes a deeper press (longer travel) to activate the light. In comparison, the previous version triggers earlier in the press.

CM, does the switch still feel good and tactile after the drops?

And yes, if this switch is selected, it will be offered as a free upgrade to existing Arc4 First owners. You send the light in, 2-3 weeks later, you get it back with the new switch (and maybe the new software if it is ready by then, different thread for that topic please). You get to keep the same serial number, LED, etc. For people with Seconds, the upgrade will require a reasonable fee (TBD). We plan on making this whole transistion as painless as possible for Arc users.

But that is the future, right now we have more testing to do.

Of course, the new design does not obscure the programming pins. We want to keep the ability to upgrade the light again in the future for whatever reason.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's the unit I am testing right now. Notice how it doesn't always hit right on the button.

Arc4rev3-1781.jpg

Peter

W4DIZ

Enlightened
Thanks Peter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta say the new heavier activation pressure is giving my thumb a workout. It does add to the level of protection. Peter, any chance of lightening it up a tad without compromising shock resistance?

I just dropped it off my balcony (around 25 ft) seven times but only struck the switch directly once, maybe twice. Not going to do this anymore since I'm tired of going up and down the stairs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Light is still working. Switch pressure hasn't felt much difference since the previous 20 or so drops.

I gotta say that potting the circuit helps protect in drops like these. I'm sure other lights would be damaged, especially the brittle inductors. 25ft is quite a distance and with the mass of the light, plenty of energy.

Surprinsingly, the anodize is doing quite well. I've had two Surefires that were dropped from pocket height and the anodize was clearly damaged. This light sustained more abuse and it's in better condition.

CM

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tunnel vison indeed.
I don't want a flashlight I can throw off the building -- I want one that works!
Stop dropping the damn thing and start using it!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Testing includes:

1. User survey of switch "feel". This consists of giving the old and new light to as many people as possible and asking them to determine which has a better feel to it.

2. Drop testing. This is the one that gets all the attention is seems. Basically, you drop the light with the tail down so it you can maximize the impact to the switch. Drops are 6ft or more and recorded for number of drops, height, and differences in the switch action after the drop, etc.

3. Battery compatibility. The unit is dropped a couple of times on the switch with a duracell inside. It is then fed every different brand of 123 cell we can find. This insures that the mechanism remains firm enough to accomodate various battery lengths.

Here's a pic of the batteries I ran through the current test unit. This was done after several drops from 6ft (note HA marks). The test unit digested all the batteries shown and worked without any anomoly. Switch had good tactile feedback with all lights and menus were easy to navigate.

arc4rev3-1781battcompat.jpg

4. Short battery compatibility. In this test, the same battery is kept in the light as it is dropped 5 or more times. This was done with the duracell brand. The battery gets shorter because it is dented by the contacts. A fact of life. The test is to make sure the light can continue to hold the battery firmly without loosing contact even when it has been quite abused and the battery is much shorter than normal.

5. Enviromental. Each unit has the battery pack removed and the heads are immmersed under running water (we were going to do this anyways to wash the special flux off we used to attach the switch). Water flows in an around the switch. The heads are potted of course so the electronics are fine. The units were then left open to dry overnight and then started on the rest of the tests (1-4 above).

The units I have tested have passed all these tests.

Peter

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I has an Arc4 to drop everywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm on the georgia tech campus and there are lots of creative places
to drop an arc4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can even take photos/videos of them before and
after and show the point of impact /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

just dreaming.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Gosh I hate dropping them but it has to be done for the sake of science...

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate cutting barrels and lenses of brand new flashlights with a knife too, but I do so in the name of science. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If I know for certain a lens isn't glass, then I won't cut it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But barrels are another story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

A "thanks" from an Arc4+ rev1 owner for the additional testing, product improvement, and public discussion. Keep up the good work!

Aloha
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.