What's so great about the Arc AAA?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s so great about the Arc AAA?

Seems like pretty much everybody here just loves the Arc AAA. What makes it so great? Why is it worth 3 times as much as something like a Dorcy AA? Or even one of those $1 keychain LEDs?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s so great about the Arc AAA?

my mom makes fun of me for spending money on flashlights.
I have bought her about 150.00 worth of lights.
she used my car and saw my arc aaa on the keys.
she said If I loved her I would give it to her.

cy

Flashaholic

ARC AAA was the world's first production AAA LED light and still the best AAA LED light. Built like a tank (see 4,000ft drop test thread). Honest Hard Anodizing matched with a 6hr runtime, then goes into moon mode for several more hours.

It's the most commonly owned light by cpf'ers. And is still the backup light of choice. Many are brighter, but runtime is shorter. Many have longer runtimes, but are larger.

Simply a good overall package ARC AAA-P.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Several reasons

1. It uses a "normal" AAA battery
2. Smallest AAA flashlight made
3. Very reliable
4. Very durable
5. Bright enough to walk around in the dark and works well as a reading light
6. 6 hours of runtime
7. Hard anodized III coating, does not scratch and looks good on a keychain for years.
8. Waterproof to at least 100 feet
9. Semi-regulated so it's brightness is good even if the battery is almost dead.
10. Has a "moon mode" were it will put out a small amount of light when the battery is almost dead. A good way to let you know it needs a new battery but it will not leave you in the dark.
11. It runs on rechargable AAA batteries and due to the regulation, is bright when it does.
12. Has a foam disk in the head to prevent battery rattle and cushions the battery when dropped.
13. Simple twist switch, no springs to break and contacts can be cleaned with a pencil eraser.
14. Inside tube is coated with a chemical resistant coating. If your battery leaks... the light is not trashed.
15. Good customer service from Arc if you have a problem. Just post your problem on the Arc forum and the owner of the company will assist you.
16. Uses highest quality 5mm LEDs for a decent beam color/quality
17. Have an option to get the premium version, uses the best Nichia LEDs made for the best beam quality.
18. Manufactured in Arizona
19. Always on your keychain, always with you and ready to be used. There are bigger, better and brighter but if you don't have it on you... they are useless
20. Thousands of CPF'ers have at least a million dollars worth of lights...but they give kudos to the $25 Arc AAA.

flashlite

Enlightened

Although I agree with everything above, I have to admit I was slightly disappointed when I received mine after reading all the hype on CPF. I guess my expectations were too high.

That said, I love my Arc AAA and it's the best AAA LED flashlight available IMO. Now that I've owned this for quite some time, I'm glad I spent the $$ for one.

mapson

Enlightened

What was your disappointment? Was it the brightness or size? I'm guessing brightness, I'm still waiting for Arc to start producing these so I can get a few for myself and family members.

[ QUOTE ]
flashlite said:
Although I agree with everything above, I have to admit I was slightly disappointed when I received mine after reading all the hype on CPF. I guess my expectations were too high.

That said, I love my Arc AAA and it's the best AAA LED flashlight available IMO. Now that I've owned this for quite some time, I'm glad I spent the $$ for one.

[/ QUOTE ]

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BatteryCharger said:
Seems like pretty much everybody here just loves the Arc AAA. What makes it so great? Why is it worth 3 times as much as something like a Dorcy AA? Or even one of those $1 keychain LEDs?

[/ QUOTE ]

There will always be people who either don't care, or don't appreciate, the differences between a premium quality product and an ordinary product. That's why Walmart sells so many flashlights (even to us Flashaholics!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, you make a point if you are comparing the Arc AAA to a Dorcy AAA. The inexpensive and widely available Dorcy is not nearly as good in many ways, but it does fill the role of a very small and pocketable flashlight that gives enough light for a long enough time to actually be extremely useful. Arc used to be the only player in this niche, but I think it finally has a little competition now and will probably have more soon. Arc will always be the premium choice, though. They made this light as well as it could possibly be made even when they didn't have to. I wish them great success.

flashlite

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
mapson said:
What was your disappointment? Was it the brightness or size? I'm guessing brightness, I'm still waiting for Arc to start producing these so I can get a few for myself and family members.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brightness and size was what I expected...excellent in both respects. I guess one misconception I may have had was the way it was going to feel in my hand. The only single cell LED light I had experience with up to that point was the Ultra-G. The Ultra-G has some heft to it and it feels good in your hand...like you're really holding something. The Arc AAA is like a feather in your hand, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I guess I shouldn't have been disappointed because I knew what I was getting. I guess I was just expecting to be in awe of this light because of all the hype it gets.

Definitely buy some when they're available. I think you'll be glad you did.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
Built like a tank (see 4,000ft drop test thread).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have serious doubt if this was a real story or just another joke like the "spotlight in the silver dome stadium" story that popped up in the DAT2ZIP's forum two years ago. The odd of stumbling over the small light after a 4000ft drop on the way down is just too slim.

I don't doubt the light survived the drop---it was not 4000ft-in-one-shot type of drop (aka drop from a 4000ft cliff). Instead, it's more likely a series of bounces and slides which is no more than a couple of tens of meters each. Arc AAA is well suited for those abuses.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

flash,
For a keychain light, the point is to get it light...less wear on the ignition switch. Imagine how light they will be a with a lithium AAA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

From my website, here are the "PROS" for the standard Arc-AAA flashlight:

Very small
Starts bright and stays that way till the end
Cheap & common batteries
Durable case, hard-anodized finish
Tool-free battery change
Product is continually being improved upon.

DharmaBum

Newly Enlightened

I was pleasantly surprised by mine. VEry shocked by the amount of light that comes from it! FWIW you can buy the Peak version of this light (sold as a prototype in their closelout section) for $15. Free 2nd day shipping, too. The body is identical to the Arc AAA, although the light output is probably about 1/3 less. Also not hard anodized and doesn't have the foam in the head to keep the battery from rattling around, but at least they're out there and they are the same quality, body-wise, for $15. I'm happy with mine, and I love my Arc version.

capnal

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
ARC AAA was the world's first production AAA LED light and still the best AAA LED light.

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU!! I did not know that, but was actually wondering!

BatteryCharger:
I, too, held off for sometime on getting my Arc AAA. Perosnally, I am glad I did. I don't regret getting it and am very proud to have it as part of my collection. It really is everything that everyone here says it is. With that being said, I DO NOT think that it is the be-all end-all to the "ultimate" pocket / keychain / small personal light. I mean, YES it is great, superb in fact, but I would not want to build you up with statements that it will be the last flahlight you ever buy or anything like that. One of the biggest reasons I waited to buy one is that I had to do so sight unseen. In another thread I stated that I do not know anyone else who has one nor have I seen one at a gun show, etc. I made the purchase decision based solely on what I read here. Consequently, it was a good decision!

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello BatteryCharger,

My first ARC light was the LSH-P. It is an excellent light.

I looked at the ARC AAA light and was put off by its bluish beam color. I finally got a few. I keep one on my key chain and always have one with me while camping.

I am still put off by the bluish tint, but think it is an excellent light. It has come in handy several times.

My wife, on the other hand, found it difficult to manage and has found the 20 for $20 lights work better for her.

Tom

RayT

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
LED_ASAP said:
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
Built like a tank (see 4,000ft drop test thread).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have serious doubt if this was a real story or just another joke like the "spotlight in the silver dome stadium" story that popped up in the DAT2ZIP's forum two years ago. The odd of stumbling over the small light after a 4000ft drop on the way down is just too slim.

I don't doubt the light survived the drop---it was not 4000ft-in-one-shot type of drop (aka drop from a 4000ft cliff). Instead, it's more likely a series of bounces and slides which is no more than a couple of tens of meters each. Arc AAA is well suited for those abuses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, but would you have survived the drop?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Arc AAA and my wife really likes hers. We both use ours all the time.

Now, having said that. I could easily be nearly as happy with the $1.00 light from CountyComm. They put out decent enough light (comparable to the Arc AAA IMHO). They last 8-10 hours I think. $20.00 for 20+ of them per package, it would take me a long time to go through a package of them. If I really wanted to, I could change the batteries.

The bonus points for the Arc AAA is the ability to use a common AAA battery and is easy to change. The durability is a plus, but tank-like toughness isn't necessarily a requirement by me. As long as it can take being in my pocket and still work I'm ok with that.

The Peak AAA (single LED) discontinued prototype looks interesting and I may even get one. Even if it's a little less light than an Arc AAA, Peak might consider keeping those as regular inventory at the current price.

Mike

Mike

K-T

*Moderator*

I was sceptial to the AAA, too - until I got one. These are impressive lights, small enough to always have around one, efficient, {add positive comments posted from others above} ... . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It is not cheap on first sight but reveals it's real value with use!

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to EDC both the LE and the Turquoise in till my girlfriend snatched my LE. I bet if you were to start a thread on how many significant other have taken your favorite light you would be amazed at the response. I mean it's worse then loosing it because every once in awhile you get a glimpse at what you lost and it reminds you of the total horror you felt when you heard "honey, you know if you really loved me you would want me to be safe wouldn't you" Man, when that comes out you just better run like hell.

paulr

Flashaholic

Jeez, Lebkuecher, just give her your LE and buy yourself another one. There, didn't that feel good? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Latest posts