Recommend a Good 1911 Gunsmith?

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I've got a Springfield 1911 chambered for a 38 super (single stack). Long ago, before mortgages, marriage and son's college funds. I was going to build up this pistol and make it look and perform like a dream, not that it doesn't look good or shoot good right now.... Long ago, I bought tons of parts for the pistol, basically rebuilding the pistol and only keeping the slide, frame and barrel(keeping the barrel for now). Since then California has gotten really strict and a lot of our local gunsmith were driven out of state to continue their livelihood.
I'm in search now for a good gunsmith than can do good work on my 1911 at a reasonable cost. I'd like to avoid the BIG boys shops as cost is not within my reach and turnaround time is at a year at some shops. I would really be interested in meeting up with any California, Bay Area self proclaimed gunsmith/hobbyist who can work on my 1911.
Any suggestions or recommendations?

unnerv

Enlightened
My father used to do a lot of work on 1911's because we used to shoot ipsc. He built up a really nice STI .38 super, but ended up selling it to finance a new hobby. He is a machinist but has always done our gunsmithing. A good example is my springfield 1911, which from the factory came with a 11 pound trigger. After some fine tuning of the factory spring it is now about 2 1/4.

I'm not sure that he would work on someone elses stuff, or how much he would charge (I am sure a whole lot cheaper than the BIG boys), but if you like I could ask him. He definately has the expertise to to do a great job.

Latest posts