Minimag conversion to led

IlikeLEDs

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guy,

Just thinking bout making a few modifications on my minimag mag and i'ld like to hear from people who have done the same or similar modifications. I am going to be using a opalec newbeam led lap(conversion kit) for the lamp and just wanted to know if anyone has done that, do you need a hole in the existing reflector or do you not need 1 at all? Also i've been looking for a military/tactical style push button switch for the tail cap (so it is activated by the push button swith not the head twisting, as i understand the newbeam lap is a fixed beam anyway not an ajustable one so i wouldn't matter) and i've had trouble finding one. I did find a site called flashlight king who stocks such push button switches and thinking of gettin one from there. Has anyone used one of these before (reliablity, do they last long etc?). So if anyone can give me a few pointers, i'ld appreciate it. thanks

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
opalec should be a simple swap, no mods needed

most commmonly used tailswitch is called a "kroll" . it's used on the Arc LS as well.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the NewBeam conversion, and with the Sandwiches too, the stock reflector is taken out. The NewBeam has a collar which replaces the reflector. The collar presses on to the NewBeam head to push it down to switch it off. The NewBeam relies on the LED to focus the light. Usually the LED used will have a 20deg field of view.

The Sandwiches come with a collimator. This is an additional lens that goes in front of the built-in lens on the LED. It usually focuses the light to a 10deg dispersion. This lens pushes down on the sandwich to switch off the light.

Niko

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if there is somewhere else to purchase a tailswitch? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The only other common M*g switch is by Ram. I have several, and they were okay until I got Krolls!

Frys Electronics stores often have them. I have never found more than two at the Houston store at one time.

You would need to get several so you could choose a good one. Some work momentary-on-off, some on-momemtary-off. Some are flakey (though the worst one I had in that regard has cleared up).

Also keep in mind that the Kroll with it's boot is nearly waterproof. The Ram is barely water resistent.

I think Frys website is Outpost.com....

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Flashlightreviews.com I think he gives a few good pictures showing how easy it is to install either the Opalec new beam or Dat2zip sandwiches.