would this be legal?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well as some of ya know i ws buying this shack . from a guy who had like 114 houese but hwat i didnt know he didnt own em lol. the bank did and he didnt make payment on time or something and he lost the houses so i lost the house . this was a while ago but a course it eats at me . i still live in the house but i now rent it . and some other people i make rent payments to well i realy want to find the origanl guy if i made a web page told the story and used his real name can i get in trouble?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a guess, raggie, but maybe if you worded it without accusing him of fraud. Phrase it like you are looking for him or others who rented from him. Maybe one of our lawyers will chime in. I hope you didn't lose too much money. Good luck, guy.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i stil dont know the full story last i saw him he came to my house my payment was not do and he said he was going motoercyle rideoing he had a truck with tralor . now i knida think it was all his stuff in back lol .it happened to people next door to he did it to them as well i just want to find him to ask him how can he live with him self. if i find paper i got from new people explaing it to me ill take photo but hide names

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be nice to make him uncomfortable and squirm every now and then. If you could keep track of the jerk then you could warn others before they become victims.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would run the risk of violating the libel laws if you print something that is damaging to his character. But you will be OK as long as everything you say about him is strictly factually accurate. It would also help if you could prove it to be accurate.

At least this would protect you from legal action. You also have to consider the fact that he knows where you live, but you don't know anything about him. In other words, instead of suing you, he might decide to throttle you.

I doubt putting up a web page about him will attract any meaningful attention anyway.

If the bank foreclosed on the house, I am sure they would be happy to sell it to you and you might get more favorable terms than you would have from a private seller. All they really want (and can legally keep) from it is the balance of the loan, and that should be less than the market value. There are people who specialize in buying foreclosed homes in order to flip them at a profit.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
IANAL but in order to be libel what you say has to be false and there also has to be proof of some kind of intent to do harm. Your intent is definitely to do harm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But if your information is true then it's not libel. Thats not to say that he couldn't drag you into court and ruin you over it anyway though as you pay to try to defend yourself.

If it will make you feel better to do it, then fuzz out the names, it won't do any good to have his real name in there.

It's interesting how different these laws are in other countries too. In England for example, if I say bad things about you, even if they are demonstrably true I can get in trouble. In America, if it's true it's not libel even if it's horrible. But that doesn't mean that you won't get dragged into court to prove it.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember a story where a child set up a website bashing his teacher because of bad grades (I think). The child was kicked out of school for publishing this site. The teacher took the child and his family to court for libel and lost the case because the judge said this was a violation of free speech. If I remember correctly though, the child worded the site very cautiously, stating that this was simply his opinion of the teacher. It's been awhile, so my memory might be a little off. Someone might have a better recollection though.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
The property tax statements are all a matter of public record. This would be for how much the property taxes were/are and who owns/owned the property. Any realestate person should be able to easily provide you that information. If not, then go to or call your county records people and ask about getting that information.

Publishing your story, just stick to the facts with no name calling or slanderous statements and you "should" be ok. However, just remember ------ anyone can sue anyone for anything in this country.

Mike

Topper

Flashaholic*
Mike, with all due respect, I was offended by your last post. You may hear from my lawyers.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
Mike, with all due respect, I was offended by your last post. You may hear from my lawyers.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Mike