Luxeon III Low Domes!

balrog

Enlightened
I just received 3 Luxeon IIIs today. I was expecting them all to be high domes as usual, but 2 of the 3 were low domes, courtesy of the postal service.

crushed1.jpg

crushed2.jpg

And this was my reaction when I discovered them.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel your pain... those photos are .. DISTURBING. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It must be even worse to see them in person. What bin were they? At least now you have extra star boards, who knows, maybe B/S/T might pick them up.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWWWWWW

THAT SUX /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
sorry to see that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
wish if they were ordinary L3 ...
hand selected TWOJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
Those aren't LD, they are MD (mashed dome). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry to hear of your loss... hand selected TWOJ's... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Hmm, maybe you can use them in a tvodrd-style light (oil filled optics, same index of refraction as the epoxy). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif Ouch!! I've seen people ship stars inside of bottle caps already. Maby you can make that suggestion to your supplier next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
And I thought that finally real EOS LD LuxII would have been available!
Balrog, even though I feel sorry for this terrible loss, you deserve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif for this misleading title! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would blame the shipper 100%.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif
Come on people!
A little common sense is all I ask.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe Lumileds has designed some new, complex, prism type domes for enhanced photon activity!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Sorry about what happened, but I'm more sorry that you have to try and figure this out with USPS; my experiences with their customer service have made me switch to UPS every chance I get.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who was it that shipped them to your part of Australia?
That package probably went through a lot of "processing" before it got to your door.
TWOJ, second only to the ever elusive TWOH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif COL!!

balrog

Enlightened
This person has shipped many LEDs to me in the past and this is the first time it has happened ever for this shipper. The packaging wasn't bad, it just went through a lot of punishment. On top of that, I hadn't even paid for the LEDs and they are going to send two replacement TW0Js /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif. For me it's just been an inconveniece. I won't name the shipper because they have been excellent for me in the past. If they want to speak up they can. I was just having a bit of fun posting those pics.

I actually tried to carefully pick away the epoxy from one of them but some of the phosphour came away. I don't like my chances of salvaging anything from these two.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um... No. Unless the packaging was a completely worthless rag, it's not necessarily his fault.

I've shipped stuff, in a thick carboard box, padded with styrofoam blocks on all sides, and the post office managed to damage the item inside. It appears they dropped the box just right on a corner, smushing the cardboard, destroying the styrofoam, and sending a fracture throughout the entirety of the dome of an acrylic case that I sold to someone. (Irreplacable case)

It was insured - USPS refused to pay even though they screwed up.

FedEx managed to completely destroy 60 solid metal billets of a person I knew. Some custom machined parts were mailed to him, and he had to take them to court in order to get them to pay their dues.

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. The shipping companies are in it for the money, not the service, and it's typically their fault when something goes amiss.

UPS so far has proved to be the most reliable shipper I know of, then FedEx. USPS is just cheap, and my branch seems to be pretty reliable - you just better hope that nothing happens in between post offices...

[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
I would blame the shipper 100%.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif
Come on people!
A little common sense is all I ask.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I had a package damaged by UPS a few years back, but the article inside (an incandescent flashlight) was not damaged or destroyed. Let's see if I can scour up the photograph I took...BBS...

(Edit 9:55pm PDT)
I could not find the photograph, but I know for certain it's around somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

balrog

Enlightened
It's the first time I have ever had a package damaged from overseas. Nor have I had a package lost. Some stuff has been damaged locally by the postie when they try to stuff something too big into my letter box, but only superficial damage.