Do you have a rationalist world view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
In other words, do you seek to understand the world around you based on reason and factual analysis rather than on faith, dogma or religious teaching? If so, you may fall into the very broad and general category of being a "Bright." I figured that since the religious folks have a thread going on right now, I would see if there are any Brights that want to have a thread, too. Or at least a roll call.

BTW, I have a very high level of respect for the religious views of people of all religions.

Empath

Flashaholic
Having witnessed the progression of discussions regarding those that have named themselves "brights", and the controversy associated with the goals of their adoption of the term, I'd suspect that this thread would have a better chance of survival in the Underground. We'll see where it goes though.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
apparently i'm not very bright by your definatiion, but i see a direct correlation between biblical teachings and the world around me. in fact, it's given me a much greater understanding of things than i would have had otherwise.

to say that those who base their beliefs on the bible are "irrational" is both irrational, incorrect, offensive, and ultimately stupid.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
Having witnessed the progression of discussions regarding those that have named themselves "brights", and the controversy associated with the goals of their adoption of the term, I'd suspect that this thread would have a better chance of survival in the Underground. We'll see where it goes though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like you were right. Too bad.

capnal

Enlightened
Lurker,
I never heard the term "Bright", but I guess that's me.
I can see the entire spectrum of arguments for religion, as well. Heck, in fact, my wife even works at a church! So it is there right in front of me, but I just putter along living life as a bright! HA HA ! The more I say it the more I kinda like the way that sounds!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bit of a problem with the terms used. "Rationalist" and "Bright". So someone who believes in a religion, one could then interpret, would be "not bright" and "irrational". Perhaps different words could be used.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good idea, Orion. Do you have any suggestions? I did not mean to offend, so I would welcome your suggestions.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Ditto. I consider myself a critical thinker who seeks "to understand the world around you based on reason and factual analysis rather than on faith, dogma or religious teaching". That does not prevent me from being a highly spiritual person, and it certainly does not make me "bright" or "dim" compared to other people.

Either the terminology is changed or this is going to go up in flames real fast. I don't think the original post implied the opposite of "Bright" people are... well... you take your pick. I'll see ya in the Underground.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
empiracal is more appropriate, but i'd venture to say that i fall under the dictionary definition of that as well.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I guess this means I would be a few candle power away from being bright?

In my experance I see a lot irrational and illogical people that would probly cliam to be "bright"

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
empiracal is more appropriate, but i'd venture to say that i fall under the dictionary definition of that as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, I'm sure you would. That is why in my original post I used terms already defined with respect to one's personal philosophy. We would have to pick a new term and perhaps redefine it with respect to philosophy if we don't like the other ones.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the Bible is the infallible inspired Word of God to mankind. Jesus said I, and other Christians, are the light of the world. Now that is bright.

Jerry

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empirical seems to be a better term, as in empirical data, whereas things of the spirit are not considered empirical in their understanding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so we have the term Empirical, with a capital E, to distinguish it from the dictionary definition. For our purposes, an Empirical will be "a person who seeks to understand the world around him based on reason and factual analysis RATHER THAN on faith, dogma or religious teaching." Key words here are "rather than." Incorporating religious faith into your world view does not preclude the use of reason, etc.

Is this term and definition inoffensive and acceptable? If so, lets drop the use of or reference to the terms "Brights" and "Rationalist" from this point forward in the thread.

If that is ok, then let's move on. Do we have any other Empiricals here? It looks like we have a couple, but we might be outnumbered so far.

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
Well, I wouldn't call myself empirical, but I do look for rational, reasonable, factual explanations for much of what I see in the world - but I also have a lot of faith and believe in/agree with many mainstream Christian religious teachings. I do believe in most of what the Bible says, although I'm not a literalist.

I imagine a life without much faith would be a somewhat boring one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well this thread is interseting indeed i will say im a person who acepts i cant understand evry thing just cause i dont understand it dont mean it dont assist o i hope i make sence.

Status
Not open for further replies.