arc AAA vs Dorcy AAA& AA?

junior

Enlightened
Ok folks, I keep reading that the arc is the way to go, hovever I keep reading that the beams of the arc and dorcy are about the same.

Also, yesterday I saw a dorcy single AA with 3 leds for about $10.00 dollars. Do not know much about that light but it seem pretty cool.

What say you?

paulr

Flashaholic
The Dorcy AAA is quite a bit larger than the Arc AAA and for that reason is not really comparable. It's closer to the size of an Arc AA. It drops nicely in your pocket but it's too big for a keychain. It's a nice light and an excellent value, however.

The Dorcy AA light is also a nice light and excellent value. It's somewhat larger and somewhat brighter than the Arc AA (though not 3x brighter). It has a nice momentary pushbutton tailcap which you can twist to lock it on. It feels good in your hand. I gave mine to a relative but will probably get another one sometime.

The Arc AAA is small enough to put on your keychain and is much more rugged and carefully built than either of the Dorcys. That's not a knock at the Dorcys at all. They are good little lights--they're just aimed at a different market and they don't solve the same problem that the Arc does.

Between the two Dorcys, I think the AA makes more sense. I haven't owned the AAA though.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dorcy AAA is a great value at about 1/5 the price of the Arc. At $10 the Dorcy 3LED AA should not be passed up. A bit big for pocket EDC, but great for the car, nightstand, on top of the fridge (where we keep a number of lights for ready access), etc. The 3LED AA should have great runtime, since it's not really brighter than the AAA, runs on a bigger battery and isn't driving the LEDs so hard so they're more efficient. Would love to see a runtime comparison.

That said, if you love the feel of a good quality light, get the Arc or consider a Peak. I switched from Arc to the 3LED 1AAA from Peak as my EDC.

paulr

Flashaholic
If I wanted a lower cost 1AAA alternative to the Arc AAA, I think I'd prefer the CMG Sonic at $9.50 to the Dorcy AAA at $7. The Sonic is about the same size as the Arc, though the Sonic's quality is more like the Dorcy's (i.e. lower than Arc). I don't see that much point to the Dorcy 1AAA since it's almost as big as the AA.

From what I've heard, the Peak 1AAA 3LED makes a somewhat narrow beam because of the recessed LED's. I prefer the Arc's wider spill. Any brightness difference from the 3 leds isn't that important to me.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I agree with paulr about the Sonic. If I didn't have my Arc I'd be carrying the Sonic, especially if you can buy it for $9.50. I've got both the Dorcys and like them, but I don't carry them often. They're just a little too big for me to put in anything but a coat pocket. I don't have a Peak yet. It would probably be fine for pocket carry.

Geoff

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: arc AAA vs Dorcy AAA& AA?

Agree on the Sonics. Being tapered on the ends, they bulge much less in the pocket than the Dorcy AAA (which is larger on the ends) and even a little less than the Arc AAA I think. And they cost like one third of the Arc.

One thing, I don't use the oversize split ring that comes with the Sonic. I got some very small(1/3"?) split rings from a tackle shop, and they reduce the profile of the Sonic a lot.

Unless I expect to be using a pocket light for a really long time (like providing 6 hours of reading light on an overseas flight or something), I carry the Sonic.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Arc AAA is just nice to own, it's like a buying an Omega instead of a Casio

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, where do you guys get Dorcies for so cheap? The AAA is $7.99 @ Target and the 2x AA is ~$20 @ Kmart

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Picked up my boy's Dorcy AAA for $5.97 at Wal-Mart. My Arc AAA-P will be eventually replaced with a Luxeon AAA if it is close to the same size.

As usually mentioned, buy both! The $6 Dorcy is a great light to loan out and works well although not waterproof. If you want the brightest, get a Peak 3 LED AAA light and throw one of those Energizer Lithium AAA batteries in it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I think most of us have been referring to the 1xAA Dorcy, which most purchased at Target for $9.99, if memory serves me.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

In Knife parlance, the ARC is Benchmade, the Dorcy is Kershaw.

In fishing reels the ARC is Shimano, the Dorcy is Zebco.

In Guns the ARC is Sig Sauer or H&K, the Dorcy is Keltec.

In Cars the ARC is Lexus, the Dorcy is Hyundai.

'Nuff said?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not quite enough, yet, Joe. You started this and now I want to get in on the fun to see how far it goes.

In audio the Arc = Audio Research & Dorcy = Adcom (which I have)

In yachts the Arc = Burger & Dorcy = Mirrocraft

In flashlights...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Point is, the Dorcy will do the job.

Doing it with the ARC is just so much more satisfying!

I don't know what's high end or low end in boats anymore. In the day, Boston Whaler was the stuff. Bayliner was somewhat less! My Dad always lusted after a Grady White...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

A direct comparison -
Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

I EDC the Dorcy 1AAA mainly because of its momentary on tail-switch, and (for me) much better beam coverage.

Light Coverage - spill-diameter Pics

I do recognize that the ArcAAA (along with the Ultra-G) are better built and probably can survive being run over by a truck.
However that does not mean the Dorcy 1AAA is flimsy - it's about as well built as say the MagLite Solitaire -
but if I were to have my flashlight run over by a truck, I'd choose the ArcAAA.....
but take it out of my pocket first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I don't have the 1AA/AAA Dorcy, I do however have the ArcAAA on my keyring, and it's been there for a year now. And it ain't going nowhere...
sizecomparison.jpg

ugrey

Enlightened

In the finest tradition of the CPF board, you need both. They compliment each other very well. I carry an ARC AAA on my key ring. It has stood up very well to the key beating for a year now. If I leave the house, I always have a 4-5 hour emergency flashlight on me. It gets used very little, but the ARC is primarily there "just in case". In my left front pocket I carry a small Gerber pocket knife and a Dorcy AAA flashlight. Because the Dorcy is loose in my pocket, it is very easy to pull out and use all the time. I love the momentary tail switch which the ARC does not have. If I somehow lose the Dorcy, it only costs $6. When the battery on the Dorcy runs down I put the new battery in the ARC and I put the slightly used Arc battery in the Dorcy. Therefore, I always have a fairly fresh battery in the ARC. I soon hope to try a lithium AAA battery in the ARC in order to cut the weight on my key ring. This has been a good system for me and it would be for you too. Just call me a CPF traditionalist, buy both.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you intend to carry it in your pocket all the time, then the smaller size of the Arc will make a very big difference. It is also tougher, more water resistant and longer-running. But if none of that matters to you then the Dorcy will be fine, and is really a nice little light in its own right.