WATERCOLORS LED Lamp from WalMart

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Browsing WalMart the other day, I found this unique looking lamp that consisted of a solid glass globe filled with air bubbles sitting on a small black platform with 4 control buttons. I picked up the globe to get a closer look at the base of the platform, and MUCH to my delight saw a small window with 3 LED's in it
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
The sticker on the lamp simply said "Watercolors". There were no more boxed models on the shelf, and the department manager said they weren't going to get anymore. I managed to talk her out of the display model at a 10% discount (only cost me $15.00
grin.gif
). Took it home, plugged it in to a 4.5V adapter (...it runs on batterys, too...), and this thing is COOL
cool.gif
! The 3 colored LED's illuminate the globe, and with the control buttons you're given the option of about 30 different steady, blinking, or fading in and out light patterns. It also has a sound button on it that produces 6 different sounds through a small speaker in the bottom, and the LED's fade in and out and change in intensity along with the sound. It has sounds like a running brook, surf with seagulls, falling rain, two different types of chirping bird sounds, and chirping crickets. Unfortunately there was no manufacturer's sticker or label anywhere to be found on the unit, so I have no idea where or what company made it. I'd like to post pics for y'all to see it, but I don't have that capability. Has anyone else seen this particular lamp? For only $15.00 it was a steal!!! It was obviously a good seller, because it was the only lamp in the department that was sold out...wonder why Wally World out here decided not to restock it
confused.gif
confused.gif
. If anybody else has seen or has this lamp, I'd sure like to know who makes it. For the money you can't beat it
tongue.gif

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't find that at the Walmart website.

But -- but -- they are selling THIS BOOK:

Nonclassical Light from Semiconductor Laser and Led
Author: Kim, Jungsang
Author: Kim, J.
Other: Somani, S.
List Price: $69.95
Our Price: $48.96
You Save: $20.99 (30%)

Hardcover, Release Date 7/1/2001
Pages 330, Springer-Verlag Telos, ISBN 3540677178
Description

"Nonclassical Light from Semiconductor Laser and Led" was published in October 2001 by Springer-Verlag Telos. This 330 page English language hardcover edition was authored by Jungsang Kim, Seema Somani and J. Kim. This title is categorized in the Library of Congress as 'Semiconductor lasers' and 'Light emitting diodes.'

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened
hehe I just picked up one of these in my local Wallyworld. It is very cool indeed. I ripped it apart to muffle the speaker a bit and see the inside. I was very surprised to find no IC's of any kind on the board. It's 4 transistors and standard electronics. I'm impressed that the variety of sounds can be made from such a simple variety of parts. Maybe it's magic
rolleyes.gif
Also I ended up getting the only one they had for $16.00, the display model of course. I think they divided all the lights up and each Walmart got one each
wink.gif

-The local LiteFreek

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the same "watercolors" light at Walmart too about 3 months ago.. They had only two left, one of which was the display model. After testing it out, I went back to bag the other one and it was already gone
frown.gif

I did find them selling on the Internet for $39 through some mail order outfit but decided to wait and see if WallyMart got more for the $16 I paid. I haven't seen any since...bummer to hear they're not going to restock them.

It seems like when ever the local WalMart sells out of something too fast, they decide not to re-stock the item. While this strategy seems bad to me, they're still raking in the biz.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Slick-
did it come in a box? if so, are there any markings that indicate who made it, or where more could be found?

Also, i'd love to at least see a picture of one of these.

THey sound awfuly simple, but delightfuly entertaining.
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by inlit:
Slick-
did it come in a box? if so, are there any markings that indicate who made it, or where more could be found?

Also, i'd love to at least see a picture of one of these.

THey sound awfuly simple, but delightfuly entertaining.
shocked.gif
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I have the box. When I get home (from work
tongue.gif
) I'll look up the info that I used to find the websight that sells it and post back here. I don't have a digicam, so sorry no pix. I believe the websight selling them had pix tho..

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, the name of the company that makes these is "Can You Imagine" and their website is:
http://www.cyi.net

Go to "lights", then "watercolors".. The site was buit with Flash so grab you a beer while it loads (takes forever)....... Their contact address & phone # is there too.

I also found them being sold here for $29

This unit also has one of the better (although not the greatest) sound synthesizers that I've heard for the price. My little lady like it too - way better than the "plasma sphere" that she laughed at that I brought home.
grin.gif
I'd certainly buy another.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

awesome! thanks slick!
they have some pretty interesting stuff there.. i wonder if they all have relatively low prices like the watercolor

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, I saw lots of pretty interesting stuff there too.. I just wonder who might carry their entire product line. They look kind of like things you might find at a "techno gift shop". I suppose I could always e-mail'em & ask
tongue.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
fdc1949b.jpg

This is what the box looks like, when you go looking for it at Walmart; pretty cool little gizmo- the little glass globe reminds me of the Risky Business egg, without the crack in it-
wink.gif
Looks like you have to be careful moving the globe around on top of the window though, because it looks like the window gets easily scratched. I put a beaded crystal Christmas tree on top of it for an interesting effect. The divergence of the LED's are apparently different for each of the three colors, so I saw a tiering effect of colors, with red on the bottom, green in the middle, and yellow on top.

Some scans of the box; the packaging is almost as nice as the device- pretty good job of marketing.
The Walmart didn't even have any of these on display, next to the lava lamps and such; but the box caught my eye, and I recalled reading the post on it here (thanks PJD!), so I picked one up. The projection on the ceiling is pretty cool, surprisingly bright going through the globe.

Watercolors box

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did about 700 miles of driving on a business trip this week. Before leaving I mapped out a bunch of Walmarts. Went to four of them in NY and VT and not one had the Watercolors light in stock, but all had price labels for them on the shelves. Aaargh!
tongue.gif

signals

Newly Enlightened
Hey!

I was just in my local wal-mart (The only wal-mart within 30 miles. Why don't they build these in the cities?) and what did I find? An entire shelf of those Watercolors lights for $17. I KNOW they weren't there the last time I drove out there, so you might want to check your local Wal-Mart again if you are interested in these. They appear to be re-stocking them.

-Kevin

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lonewolf:
What department did you see these in?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Walmart stores that I've been to keep them with the other regular table lamps, lava lamps, strobes, and other "colorful" party lights.

I'm gonna check tonight to see if any came in..

Thanks for posting the update, Signals.

signals

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lonewolf:
What department did you see these in?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Slick has already stated: My Wal-Mart keeps them in the section with the table lamps, lava lamps, strobe lights, etc...

-Kevin

Short Circuit

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one Watercolors (toy my wife says) at our local Walmart $16.95. After she saw it I think that I may have lost it, as she really likes it with the ocean/birds and babbling brook sounds and varable light display.
grin.gif