Mini Mag with terralux tele5 WOW !

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am new to this, but man! what an improvement! i even wonder if i need a ARC/LB/Q3. (yes i know I do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif) but i am very happy with it. wonder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif what the BB500ma is like? VDG

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
VDG;
Your luxeon lust has just begun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
-If you like the Terralux, you'll probably go absolutely bananas over the Nuwaii 3 Watt/Inova XO3, or the Longbow Lights...
Could there be a Surefire L5 in your future? Only the flashlight gods know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Terralux is a nice improvement over the standard incandescent bulb.....

It has nice brightness, semi-regulated output, long runtime.....

....but IMO the beam quality SUCKS (jagged patterns in the beam, artifacts all over the place, and uneven hotspot). Also, mine are all tinted green somewhat. I don't understand why Terralux can't improve the beam quality, at the very least.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah i know screwed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif I about this close to getting
a micra or QIII, or hell both'em. I guess the question is which God's are shining the light's,, one up stairs or down? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
The Terralux is a nice improvement over the standard incandescent bulb.....

It has nice brightness, semi-regulated output, long runtime.....

....but IMO the beam quality SUCKS (jagged patterns in the beam, artifacts all over the place, and uneven hotspot). Also, mine are all tinted green somewhat. I don't understand why Terralux can't improve the beam quality, at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the newest one with a 2nd version reflector. Mine is very good, as long as you just turn it enough to be on, it's got a great hot spot, and pretty solid beam. VDG

mapson

Enlightened
Are these the ones with the reflector that I keep seeing posts about the cracking problem when turning off too much?

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you watch carefully the Terralux modified MiniMag, you will see it about 5 mm (1/5 of an inch) longer than a standard MiniMag, when it is off. It should not be so.

Also, the continuated ON/OFF operation by turning the bezel "erodes" the emitter and reflector, resulting in farke inside the reflector. (I have the NEW reflector). The problem can be reduced with some silicone grease around the Luxeon. Also, overtightening the bezel will crack the reflector.

The wobbling of the bezel, due to the poor machining tolerances of the Minimag, makes the beam pattern unstable. This is true also with the stock bulb.

On the opposite side, the Terralux has very low power consuption (300 mA), and runs almost cool.

Talking of the Minimag, the most professional mod I have seen is the Opalec NewBeam.

Regards

Anthony

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would seem the problems created by using the regular on/off method of twisting can be somewhat alleviated by the use of a kroll click switch. In fact, I would say the use of a kroll is a good idea form nearly all of the mini-mag drop-in modules.

Anyhow, with the kroll, you simply set the head once, then use the kroll to turn it on/off not the twisting action. On my Lambda SMD kit, I used some teflon plumbers "tape" to make the head difficult to turn. Though some use Loc-tite. I always forget if it's the red or blue loc-tite that's easier to get loose if you ever need to take things apart.

Mike

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Also, overtightening the bezel will crack the reflector. "

Wont the same thing happen with the Orignal Reflector & Orignal bulb ?

THanks & Regards,
ViReN

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Viren, it won't, because there won't be any more travel for the bezel.

Mike, I agree on the fact that a Kroll would solve the problem of tightning / loosening of the bezel, but it would not allow the use of the Mimimag as bedside light, since it will not stand anymore on the tailcap. This, of course, is a problem of mine, and of the use I make of the Minimag...

Anthony

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
TheProphet,

That's why you can now justify getting more lights!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
albert said:
And you will poop in your pant when you encounter a LionHeart...

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif By the way what is the lionheart anyway?

phyhsuts

Enlightened
TheProphet - The wobble can be solved by winding on some Teflon tape as used for threaded joints in pipes by plumbers. Do this at the end of the thread on the body near the bulb. Wind on about 4". This stops the wobbling and the reflector shaving off some of the LED's optics each time the twist switch is used (at least it does in mine). I have to say that the Kroll is what I have as the next item on the purchase list too.
Just wish they would offer a HD Luxeon option. It is odd that most drop-ins made in large volumes seems to use the SE Luxeons - TerraLux, EverLED, Tektite etc. Would have thought an option at least of the HD would be good ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ??

greenLED

Flashaholic
Actually, I've cracked at least 3 stock mini-mag reflectors over the years by tightening them too hard (I was trying to prevent them from turning on in my pack...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just treat it careful as per instruction's. I did measure the new and old reflector, against the stock head switch and the module added head switch. Pretty close according to my cal's. I know it's a circuit so i just don't crank it down hard. I got to see a newbeam at the police/fire outfitter, wasn't much better to my eye's then then my dorcy 1AA 3LED. And while was there i ordered a Inova XO! i think it looks like a good light, and i do like my X1.
Oh I also experimented with rotating the reflector to get the best beam throw and spill, then put 3 tiny spots of barge cement on the edge's to to set it, and keep it in place.( actually didn't really se a big diff, but I got it where i just twist it on a bit and it's set, then off with just a very small movement. (hey my first mod!) I guess greasing and/or glueing the module to stay "perfectly" centered would be the next step. but honestly for the $$ and performance, i don't see the point in getting over the edge on it.
But I love it! plan to get a couple more.

I am hooked, monday I buy either a QIII or longbow micra.
Did i say i was hooked? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif VDG