Hot Wire Guy needs LED Recommendation

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I'm hoping that some of you LED experts might be able to help me out with a recommendation for a small LED light that preferably runs on 2xAA. It should be suitable for everyday, intensive use and provide some "wow" factor. CR123 cells are out as the fellow I want to buy this for will not pay to use such expensive cells. He will, however, use AA nimh and a recharger. I'm looking to spend under $75.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Wilkey

raggie33

*the raggedier*
id say go cheap maybe dorcy 2 aa .hey it aint the best but it is a nice light forprice

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,
Grab a Elektrolumens XM-3 2AA light while they are on pre-order for $40. It uses a Luxeon III running at 600mA (~2.2 watts) through a reflector to maximise brightness. The thing has a clip to hold in on a belt and the barrel is over 1/4 inch (7mm) thick!
The lens and luxeon are replacable so the mods should start showing up pretty soon. Overall, it sounds like a very bright 2AA light that can take a beating and a great price.

kubolaw

Enlightened
Wilkey -

The XM-3 is intriguing, but if you need something right away, you could consider a BadBoy (regulated 3W) or MadMax (semi regulated 3W) from Wayne's storefront. Drops in to a MiniMag, and you have a stealth Mini with a significant "wow" factor that runs great on NiMH AAs.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Junior? Altho the runtime of about 1hr+ leaves a bit more to be desired... Or a KL1 with a 3x123 battery pack (Vitalgear) to use on 2AAs, if you can still find any around?
Would 4AAs qualify? Uke 4AA eLed comes to mind if it does...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Wilkey,

You sir have helped me out on Hotwires. I am grateful!

My vote, if time is not of the essence, is for Elektrolumens XM3 (I have one on pre-order).

As has been mentioned, it runs a 3W at 600ma for very decent brightness and good runtime. If you have followed the XM2 babble, you know switching and the lense have been discussed (and cussed!). Wayne has had prototypes sent to him until he's satisfied. It has user servicable lense and LED, and a momentary-on-off clickie. Wayne has stated it will run fine on Liths, NimH, or even Alkalines.

It's $40 right now on pre-order, will be $49.95 at regular price.

It's said to be somewhat long and heavy. The better to wick away heat, clobber someone, or run over with a tank! That says wow to me!

I am PUMPED to have one on order. I believe in it based on other Elektrolumens lights (including the Starlux 1W 3D I own).

Good luck!

PBJS

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
All this talk about the XM3 has led me to check it out and.. whoa. It really has the Surefire look, down to the texturing on the button. It looks like a cross between a KL1 head, an E2e clip and a 6P tailswitch. Is the finish hard anodized? Now you all have done it, I am so tempted to buy another light. When is the XM3 going to launch?

I was looking at a sandwich, or a Streamlight, but..

(edited to add) PS: Welcome back Ginseng!

14C

Enlightened
I'd buy one..maybe two...I even said I would...

But you can't buy neat stuff when you are broke.

Soon...maybe

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got this friend with a problem, see, hey, it's not ME, you understand, but this OTHER guy who needs...well...ANOTHER LIGHT. It's not that I'M interested in a ghostly, otherworldly, cold blue, green, whatever, LED light, but my friend, this other GUY wants one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
For this other guy I would also say sandwich. The problem is that W.Y. doesn't have the ones I would like to purchase available. I don't follow The Sandwich Shop forum like I used to. Maybe there is a method of purchase I'm unaware of.

coyote posted this extremely helpful table about sammies.

Here's a direct link to the Sandwich Shoppe drop in page.

XM3 sounds viable. Regulated 600mA AA XM3

I don't know much about the Streamlight Luxeon Jr..

- Jeff

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to take a look at the UK 4AA LED. I've tried a couple of the Pelican AA and AAA LEDs and their beams plain suck. The XM3 looks cool but this user is much more casual and not at all interested in anything even remotely "tactical." Maybe a sandwich would be the way to go. A long time ago, I had a MadMax in a MiniMag and liked it a lot.

Thanks!
Wilkey