CMG/Gerber Infinity vs. Ultra Infinity

Easyrider

Newly Enlightened
I'm a new member and I have a question. I already own what I believe to be an Ultra Infinity since I bought it from County Comm. What is the difference between the Infinity Task light and the Ultra Infinity? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Your Countycomm light is probably an Ultra-G, which has "U.S. Government" (and maybe a contract number) engraved on the side. It's the same as the Ultra except it has a tougher finish, is available in only one color, has the US govt engraving, and has no retail packaging.

The Infinity Task Light is discontinued. It uses less battery power than the Ultra/Ultra-G, so it runs longer on a battery, but it's only about half as bright. It was available in several finishes and LED colors. I'm rather fond of mine, but the Ultra was much more popular because of its higher brightness. www.batterystation.com (CPF sponsor) still has a few for sale, if you want to buy one.

Easyrider

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Paulr for clearing up my confusion. You described my flashlight perfectly. I think I'm going to buy another one since I read in another thread that Gerber is going to discontinue the current Infinity and produce a new one with a tail switch. I'm rather fond of the current configuration.

TomH

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Easyrider said:
I'm rather fond of the current configuration.

[/ QUOTE ]

As am I. It's a shame that Gerber felt the need to tinker with a good design such as the Infinity.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TomH said:
As am I. It's a shame that Gerber felt the need to tinker with a good design such as the Infinity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too like the current design, but since I haven't seen or tried the new version, I'll reserve judgement.

For sure they have what they feel are solid marketing justifications for changing, perhaps surveys, focus groups, prototype evaluations and the like. It's not only their right, but some might say duty to the shareholders to explore such options. Such is the stuff of innovation and product improvement of course.

OTOH, my take on it is 'it's too bad Gerber feels they have to abandon such a neat product'. Then again, if it's all that neat someone else will fill the niche.....capitolism, business decisions driven by profit, way cool. Brought us what we have...and what everyone else wants.

Doug Owen

paulr

Flashaholic
So has anyone here tried the new Gerber Trio or LX series? Those have a tail switch that may be similar to the forthcoming new Infinity switch.

paulr

Flashaholic
Craig, those evaluations are mostly about the luminous output. What's your opinion of the tail switch?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
IMHO, the tail switches on these two flashlights seem to work rather well; but remember, both flashlights are fairly large. A smaller flashlight like the Infinity might not benefit as much from a tail switch as a larger flashlight might.