Which is the correct Luxeon Bin Color Chart?

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the longest time, I've been using the Bin Code Reference at Wayne's Site which shows the New Luxeon Color Coding bin in the following chart:

LuxeonBinningColourChart.gif

Now, it has been drawn to my attention that this chart is wrong, and that V0 and V1 are actually yellow and X0 and X1 are actually green as shown in the following chart:

LuxeonBinningColourChart.jpg

So, which is correct? I tried doing a search but didn't come up with a definitive answer...

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
My X1 LEDs are tinted green if you compare them against a W0. Thusly, I'd be compelled to say the chart I first saw as a newbie, and the chart I posted in my thread, is the correct one.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the second chart is correct. I've seen another chart, and if you compare all of these charts to the actual CIE color diagram, you'll notice that the yellow streak is off to the right, not on top, hence V1 is more likely to be yellow. I have some V1 Luxeon 3s, and they are a slightly warmer yellow tint than my W0 Luxeon.

L

LITEmania

Howard would answer..soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

Goods_detail_PW09-TW0L_9~_chromaticity%20diagram.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh that is the chart I was talking about. Thanks kj /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply guys.. I guess someone should mention this to Wayne since his Bin Color reference page is misleading everyone who uses it...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
There was a thread about this last year. What came out was that the color of teh little block was only there to help you fiond the W X Y and V areas. The color of the block has nothing to do with the tint of the LED.

If the colors were related to the tint, they would all be shades of white. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif X0 and W0 would both be just white. X0 has no discernable green to it.

If you look at the colors of the area around the blocks you will get a better idea of the relative tint of each bin. If you look at the cie chart that Warren posted, you'll note that all 8 bins fall in the "white" area.

Daniel

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
The color of the block has nothing to do with the tint of the LED.
Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, geeeeeez, I thought all this time that the color of the block represented the tint that the white LED leaned towards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yes, Stingray, that was a common perception noted in the other thread too. I thought the same thing as you. The person who made the overlay stated that he marked the blocks to make them easier to see.

In another age he would have marked them with various checkerboards and cross hatch patterns.

Daniel

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to figure out the chart for ages and I assumed the colors on the chart meant bin colors? And they aren't? I feel for you Stingray... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif