4AA Lantern/uFlex Mod-*Field Test Report*

Illuminated

Enlightened
Back in February I built this...
Rayovac 4AA Kid's Lantern/uflex Mod (Long/Pics)

I finally got to use it for its intended purpose a few weeks ago - and thought I'd make some comments here. The wife and I took a two week camping/backpacking trip to Superior National Forest MN (Gunflint Trail). We drove into one of the National Forest camp grounds and set up a base camp with the large tent and heavier gear. The weather was pretty lousy with record cold temps and lots of rain. Once the rain backed off a bit - we set out with the backpacks and spent a couple of days/nights at a designated remote site on the Superior Hiking Trail along the Cascade River.

At the base camp - the lantern was only used inside our large tent (we call it "the palace" - 12'x10' with air mattress, folding table/chairs, etc). While pinned down by the rain/cold, we spent a good bit of time comfortably inside making espresso, reading books/maps, etc.

The uFlex lantern was hung from the top of the tent on the lantern loop, and provided nice even illumination throughout the entire tent. The level of light was adequate for all but reading. The tent fabric is relatively dark colored, so internal reflection of light was not great. For reading, we simply moved the lantern to the table, elevated by placing it atop the coffee can. I may consider fabricating a nice little folding lantern arm to clamp to a table edge for this.

George's sleep mode programmed into the uFlex driver turned out to be the coolest thing for a tent light! Once we were ready to retire, I would set the light to its lowest level (nightlight mode) after enabling sleep mode. Suprisingly, it still lit the entire tent well enough to see everything, yet was dim enough to not be annoying at all. The light was off when we awoke each morning. Very cool, George! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The lantern was not needed for use outside at base camp because despite the near total darkness of the moonless nights, the warm glow of the campfire provided more than enough light for navigation around camp. Also, our Dorcy 1AAA lights worn on a neck lanyard provided the additional task lighting needed for cooking on the stove and whatnot.

I did take the lantern on the backpacking excursions, since it only weighs in at 317 grams with 4AA Lithium Energizers. It turns out that I didn't need to use it in the tent, but I did find it very useful as an outside area light. Our remote site was fairly large as it's intended for groups, though we were alone during our stay. The site was uneven and had many tripping hazards such as rocks, roots, etc. The lantern was tied to a birch tree trunk about 7' above ground, roughly 20 feet from the fire pit and 50 feet from our tent. Even at level 2-3 (out of 8 levels) it lit the area suitably well for avoiding all those tripping hazards around the site.

I discovered that it was kinda hard to eat our tasty soup from the cook pot while holding the Dorcy light in my mouth, and hanging from the neck didn't light the inside of the pot at all. The firelight was no help, either. The lantern's elevated position on the tree easily cast enough light into the pot to make things much easier - even from from 20-25 feet away. I suppose I could have used my headlamp, but the lantern just made things easier altogether.

It rained again during the night, but I don't think the lantern even noticed while hanging out there on that tree. It's very well sealed against water - and it even floats (I tested it back in March).

It's amazing how little light is actually needed when it's really dark to begin with. The brightest levels were not needed as they were simply too bright for semi-adapted eyes.

I'm very pleased at the overall performance and usefulness of my lantern mod for camping/backpacking - and Georges80's uFlex driver makes it just perfect for what I wanted in a small lightweight lantern. Thanks again to George for the uFlex, and for doing those runtime tests (12 regulated hours at max brightness on Lithium AA's!).

Now, when will my next camping trip be...

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice little mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif im glad it worked out so well. how much do you think you have invested in cost?

Illuminated

Enlightened
Hallis,

Thanks, and welcome to CPF -

$8 - Rayovac Kid's Lantern (Wally World)
$25 - uFlex driver (georges80)
$11 - Q2H Luxeon Star high dome (georges80)
$5 - uFlex/Luxeon shipping
$5 - Misc switch parts & hardware

Not counting the cost of heatsink made from old beat-up Mini-Mag

John

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a pretty economical build.. i like it even better now. Speaking of lanterns and Wal-Mart, i stopped by there on the way home from work this morning to get a 12-pack of cherry coke. and in the checkout line i saw Ray-o-Vac 6v lanterns with battery included for $3.50. How could i pass that up? had to buy one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great write up! Glad to hear you got to really use your modded light.

We just got back from a short camping trip ourselves a few days ago. We used our uFlex powered FlexiLED light everynight in the tent. We ran it at the dimmest level as a tent nightlight and up a couple of levels for reading books to the kids before sleep.

It is the single most useful light I have for general camp illumination, though my Tripuss has become the 'lantern' of choice for lighting up the entire camp area. Of course Tripuss is car-camping friendly only /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

george.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Hi George,

FlexiLED and Tripuss definately have an advantage in directing light exactly where you want it. My lantern does trade-off collecting and directing the light for dispersing the light in virtually all directions, including upwards. We could sometimes even see flying squirrels moving through the canopy of trees by the light radiating upwards from the lantern.

The possibilities for the uFlex and nFlex are seemingly endless...

John