Maglight to sue ID Games over Doom 3

Gandalf

Enlightened
(With tongue firmly in cheek).

"A spokesman for Mag Instruments states that a lawsuit is 'in the works' over a patent infringement lawsuit in the new computer game Doom 3."

A flashlight is featured somewhat prominently in the new computer game, and while the flashlight itself looks nothing like a Maglight, the beam of light produced by the flashlight does.

"The beam has bright and darker rings, but more significantly, it has a dark spot in the center.
This feature, like all features of Mag instrument flashlights, is copyrighted, trademarked, and patented."

"Obviously, ID Games is in gross violation of 1 or more of the protected features associated with Mag instruments flashlights. No other flashlight in the world has this beam with rings and a dark hole in the center."

"Obviously, ID games copied the well known features(s) of a Mag Instruments flashlight when they produced this game"

An industry analyst, who refused to be identified, said this is a typical lawsuit for Mag Instruments, and stated that on the last Corporate Earnings Report from Mag Instruments, proceeds from lawsuits exceeds profits from flashlight sales by 55%.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the main character's use of the flashlight as a.. 'tactical impact device'? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif wasn't that pioneered by the Big Flashlight Company too?

(and he uses it the proper way too, hit the demons with the rear of the light, not the bezel. The bulb.. yeah BULB.. might blow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
What a "CROCK"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Guess they are proving this "method" is part of their income machine!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this some kind of joke? wth the dark spot and ringy beam pattern so special that it needs to be patented. it is not desirable anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

think a good candidate for the Darwin award? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, for God sakes.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
Mag won't and shouldn't win that one, any more than the people who sued ID and said thier games were too violent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif
Some people just don't get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif

ID Software, I live within reach of you if you want to borrow and digitize the beam and bodystyle of one of my flashlights (Like maybe the one in my avatar?). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif
Here's a rerun from another post "unique beamshot"
tl3_vsF40Flouros.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hummmmm Some folks don't understand tongue in cheek?!?!? I think I am likely in trouble myself......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Gandalf, made me laugh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some square rolls of paper towels today.

Kimberly-Clark was concernced about the I.P. on the tube shaped cardboard roller.

I suppose the anti roll aspect is an improvement.

naromtap

Enlightened
Gents, Gents - Farkin Relax this ain't no M@g, it's a half decent light from where I'm standing....here is a couple beamshotz...
!cid_400373423@29082004-0ec8.jpg

!cid_400373423@29082004-0ecf.jpg

Seriously tho, this Mutha Trucker of a game will push your PC to the limit, but that is another thread altogether, tho I do here that the GF6800 GT is the way to go & it can be had quiet reasonably if you shop around...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
when art imitates life too closely it's hard to tell the difference, and no, I don't mean the graphics in the game /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lolol.... It's so believable that people believe it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
Hmm..../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Apparently, some of you don't know the expression 'tongue firmly in cheek' It means * I'm kidding*, as in *I made it up*, and it's *not true*. This was just supposed to be a bit of humor.

And I *still* think if you shine the flashlight in Doom 3 on a wall, the beam looks a *lot* like a Maglight beam set to wider angle. It's better than a Maglight to be sure, but that's what it reminds *me* of. Sheesh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif