Dorcy 8 LED 2-C on clearance at Target

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Original price: $30.00
Clearance price: $13.86

Great little 8 LED light with boost circuit to run the LEDs on 3V from 2 included C cells. Get them while you can! Available in silver finish only.

dorcy_2c8led_glamour.jpg

Review HERE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you all think it on clearance? Are they no longer going to stock that model?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suspect that they didn't sell as well as the 1AA, 2AA and 1AAA models, which are not on clearance. Most likely due to the price of $30. They probably won't carry the 8 LED model anymore after they sell out.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hmm, I just saw that on clearance at a target in NJ on Wed., but at $19.58, which wasn't low enuf to get me to buy one.

daloosh

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
I would suspect that they didn't sell as well as the 1AA, 2AA and 1AAA models, which are not on clearance. Most likely due to the price of $30. They probably won't carry the 8 LED model anymore after they sell out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure wouldn't pay $30 for one. The Dorcy quality is okay, comparable to Maglite, but $30 for an UNREGULATED light that uses NICHIAS (so far every nichia light I have is clearly blue tinted) and so far every Dorcy I have is only average in fit/finish is pushing it in price IMO.

Even at the clearance price, I'm not tempting to run to Target to buy one. Now, if that was the new 1-watt Dorcy at that price, that would be another story.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Target in my neighborhood has two of the Dorcy C lights but refuses to drop the price below $30. So the two lights hang on the rack gathering more dust everytime I walk by them.

Does each Target store set their own price and sales?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, just went to another Target and they clearanced out ALL of their Dorcy lights some time ago... Looks like this is hit or miss....

Flashlight Enthusiast
^I'd be disapointed if all the Targets got rid of all the Dorcy lights. The 1 AAA and 1AA Dorcys are really nice lights for the price. Plus, the more LEDs that show up at major retailers, the more people will see the benefits of going LED.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Maglight's fit+finish is better than Dorcy LED lights, hands-down. I'll also hzard a guess that they're far more durable.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
Maglight's fit+finish is better than Dorcy LED lights, hands-down. I'll also hzard a guess that they're far more durable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The body of the Maglites are far more durable, I'd guess too. They feel a lot more "tank-like" than a Dorcy does. I think most of the inner guts (electronics) are more durable in Maglites as well. I think the Dorcy will have the more durable bulb though, being an LED vs. the incandescents Mag uses.

beakman

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
haveblue said:
The Target in my neighborhood has two of the Dorcy C lights but refuses to drop the price below $30. So the two lights hang on the rack gathering more dust everytime I walk by them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at my local Target and saw the Dorcy C lights hanging up on the rack with the posted price of about $30. However, I took one of the flashlights to one of the price checker scanners located throughout the store, and the price came up as $13.98. And that's the price that came up at the register when I bought it. So you might want to double check that price on a price scanner. Target doesn't seem to always be good about updating their price tags, as I've had other items where the price scanner has shown a lower cost than the posted price. And the price scanner is all that counts.

the beakman

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Huh, interesting, as I was in a NY target over the weekend, same as the NJ, $19.58 for the 2C. They also had the 1W luxeon, it looks quite nice, but I'll pass for now, the Streamlight Junior is just fine for me.

daloosh

beakman

Newly Enlightened
I have yet to see one of the Dorcy 1 watt luxeon flashlights at a Target store, and I know you're not the first person that has mentioned that Target has them. Do they keep them someplace other than with the rest of the flashlights?

the beakman

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys - went to another Target and the 2 C was labeled on the package as $19 something. Put it under a price scanner and it came up 13.86, so DOUBLE CHECK the price! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Well, the 1W looks nice, just like Quickbeam's review:
Dorcy Lux review
It's smaller than you would think from the pictures (but see Quickbeam's comparo with Mag), and darker than in the pictures.

It was in the regular flashlight section at Target. The ones I went to (in NJ and NY) were both low on Dorcy's, and almost sold out of crappy Energizer 2Ds. People must be stocking up on them for some reason, hurricane? school? camping?

THe Dorcy was $24.99, which isn't terrible at all, but a few things make me hesitate.

First, it's 3AAA, so there must be a plastic carrier to hold the batteries. That makes it harder to reload, and easier to lose a piece of it, a piece than can fall out. Also, it's thick, though short, so would make a nice general at home light, but I'd never EDC it, when I could bring the VIP or Blackbird, or an Arc... And, as I mentioned earlier, I'm quite happy with the SL Jr, even though that lite is too long, it has a nice small diameter.

And, BTW, I did bring the Dorcy 2C to the scanner, and it still came up $19.58. I guess the Target gods didn't want me to buy it!

daloosh

PJ

Enlightened
I just got back from Target in Livonia, Michigan and they had the Dorcy 2 C-cell 8 LED for $6.98. There was a clearance tag on the holder and I got the last one. Indeed it was silver.

Update: I found another one at a different Target store for the same price. No more left there either. A little off topic, but they had the Energizer Accent Lanterns on sale too, a box of 3 for $ 4.98. There is a thread in CPF with pictures and descriptions of them.