• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

6P series mods updates?

akula88

Enlightened
Don,

While all the E-series is having all the fun with the Aleph's and PR(T)'s, do you have anything for the 6P-series in the pipeline?

I saw the proto-6P mated with the Aleph-1 head on the Aleph thread -- do you plan to have this mass produced? Also, what happened to the light module/light engine for 6Ps?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
akula,
I am kind of strapped at the moment with the Aleph system as it is. Once I finally get all of the parts that have been ordered processed and available as ready to use components, I will have more time to consider other mods and builds along with building Aleph lights and LE's (I hope!) The use of the 6P tube and tail cap in the mod for hosting an Aleph head renders the tube no longer compatible for hosting the standard classic heads. If I were to proceed with some limited production tubes along this line, they would merely be another battery host for the Aleph system and of no value to the Classic format:

Aleph1-18650.jpg

Now there have been a couple guys who have used the McCapsule (designed as a substitute LE for the LongBow) succesfully in some Classic hosts like the 6P, G2 and M2. There is a fair amount of tweaking and modification to existing parts (27 mm reflector and McCapsule) to get these to make a good electrical contact as well as fit in the classic host:

P3-components.jpg

The 27 mm reflector needs to have its profile modified considerably as well as threaded but the thermal path is not great.

I have considered designing a variation of the 27 mm reflector that has a rear skirt that with an internal thread to accept the Aleph LE. This special reflector would also have as much thread engagement in the head as posible as well as a rearward shoulder that would contact the battery tube lip and be in compression when the head is secured. The thermal path would be from the E-Screw into reflector and then on to head and battery tube. I think this would be viable for the metal classic hosts but have my doubts about the nitrolan. I think I could desigh a contact adapter that slipped onto the rear of the ES-Can and consisted of two springs which carried the ground from the battery tube as well as the + from the battery. I think this is all doable but frankly, we are talking about a fair number of custom and specific parts here all to accomodate a LED LA in a host where there may be little demand and the thermal considerations less than ideal. I am reasonably confident that such a project would never come close to reaching economic viability.