looking for a compact luxeon light

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
I've been wanting to purchase a cr2 or cr123 light. So far I'm trying to decide between the vortex kc1 or the zorch. I also heard Peak is coming out with a compact luxeon light. Are there any other lights that run on 1 cr2 or cr123 that use luxeon leds and cost < $70 ?

thanks,

sylvestor.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
I really like the vortex kc-1,but it's almost exactly the same size as an arc-ls with twisty pack.So although it uses a cr2 it's the same size as an arc with cr123.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever Arc starts making LSHs again, there are bound to be some seconds. The second LSHs run at $50, and they generally perform well despite being seconds.

Given your current choices, I'd wait until the Zorch is officially released and then preorder it.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
Now I will say that my kc-1 is evey bit as bright as an arc-ls.And it is also regulated.I'm still on my 1st battery and I've had it for 1.5-2 months.Is the KC-1 even out yet?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Nuwai Quantum III has a 3 watt Luxeon LED and is powered by a single CR123A cell.
I believe it costs approximately $50.00.

I have an ongoing evaluation of this flashlight right here if you're interested.

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your responses.

357: thanks for the info on the arc. I think I'll always be kicking myself thinking, "how much better" the first run arc would be compared to the 2nds if I ended up getting the 2nds.

Coachbigdog: I don't think the kc-1 has been released yet. I am interested in puchasing it because the size is very compact. How do you like the kc-1 ? Is it easy to slip it in your pant pocket ?

Craig: thanks for reminding me about the Nuwai QIII. Do you know how the Nuwai QIII compares against the kc-1 or the zorch ?

thanks again,

sylvestor.

Flashlight Enthusiast
^I'm curious what the KC-1 is? Anyone have specs/pictures of it?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
sylvestor said:
Craig: thanks for reminding me about the Nuwai QIII. Do you know how the Nuwai QIII compares against the kc-1 or the zorch ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do not have and have not seen a KC-1 or a Zorch, so I have no basis with which to make a comparison.
Sorry about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

coachbigdog

Enlightened
Like I said,I really like the kc-1.It is just as bright as an arc-ls and has great throw.It has a slight ringy pattern,but only noticeable on a white wall.The beam color of mine leans towards the slight bluish side,which I prefer.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
Like I said,I really like the kc-1.It is just as bright as an arc-ls and has great throw.It has a slight ringy pattern,but only noticeable on a white wall.The beam color of mine leans towards the slight bluish side,which I prefer.

[/ QUOTE ]

couchbigdog, wherre did you get your's? VDG

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of any compact key chain flashlights like the kc-1 or zorch that are currently available for purchase ?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The closest thing is the Quantum III by Nuwai, but it's not 'keychain'... and neither is the Zorch which, IIRC, is about the same size as the Quantum III.

The only other option I can think of is the TNC N-cell lights, which use a 1W Luxeon and are about as close to keychain as these get. However, they are currently out of stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate short stubby fat lights, give me a Firefly any day. Why are most these lights a full inch in diameter? Is it simply an issue of one inch stock being easy to obtain and cheap?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about you, but I find it hard to find batteries that can drive a Luxeon in anything less than CR2 or CR123... and those are fat batteries. The power supply dictates the size to some degree, as does ergonomics - I prefer the stubby inch-thick lights to slender half-inch thick lights which are like 5-6" long. It also seems to put a bit less stress on the finger-joints that way, too.

About the only light significantly thinner than a 123 cell is maybe the AAA, which is woefully underpowered for the task of driving a Luxeon. The lithium ones that just came out might be up for the task, but I'm not sure how many of those in series you'd need for the job.

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
Haesslich: according to a few forums, the Nuwaii 3 requires the sheath if you want to carry it in your pant pocket because of the sharp edges. The zorch site shows keys attached to the light, so I'm guessing/hoping that it won't have sharp edges so that I can carry it in my pant pocket without requiring a sheath.

http://elektrolumens.com/Zorch/Zorch.html

I like the dimensions of the firefly and would really like to aquire one; however, it's way out of my buget. Is there any other light that has similar output and dimensions as the firefly ?

sylvestor.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
sylvestor: I have the Q-III and I'm the one who posted about it requiring said sheath if you pocket-carry it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The Zorch doesn't have the edges, from what I can tell, but it's also not currently available. Those two lights are the only ones I know of which fit your requirements, outside of maybe the Keylux from TNC (which runs on the N-cells, so that may also be out).

Otherwise, it's going to be $60-70 for the KC-1 from Vortex, whenever it comes out. Nuwai does make small lights, but they're all an inch in diameter because of the head and body requirements.