Buying LEDs

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking at ebay to get some leds for some small projects at home and had a few questions.
Saw some leds rated at 16000-21000 mcd. Are they really much brighter than the 10000 mcd leds? Is the difference noticeable? Or would I be better off getting the 6-10K mcd leds? Seems the higher the mcd rating the costlier the leds.
Will appreciate your comments, thnaks.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Intensity ratings - mCd or Cd being the most common - are almost useless without the beam angle. If you see a LED with an absurd mcd rating and no beam angle, odds are it has a narrow beam between 5 and 15 degrees.

Niko

Newly Enlightened
I definitely agree with idleprocess, I've also noticed that many companies display the maximum MCD instead of typical value, while it isn't per say incorrect because the LEDs should be capable of doing that, but it's something to check out.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found out that Chi-Wing's LEDs are best go for the projects.. they are really BRIGHT... they are 10,000 LED's ... and have 30Degree viewing angles.

I have had 4 Degree 32000 mcd Amber LED's from a Very very reputed company... and i am very very sorry to say that they SUCK... However, 45 Degree 8000 mcd are MUCH MUCH MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Brighter and MORE light than the 4 Degree Light...

So, Dont Just go by the MCD .. also consider VIEW Angle...

Normally, we consider Less View Angle the better... assuming more throw of light.. but practacally, view angles less than 25 Degree.. is really a bad idea...

Its true, that the 4 Degree light will throw more... but.. its of NO use unless you use atleast 40 - 60 Such LED's together... If you have 3 - 12 LED's project... it will give out light than the 4 Degree Ones...

There are some Lence Systems too developed for focusing a group of LED's .. (if at all you want a THROW) ...

Lastly, Dont go by the MAX value, go by the Typical & Minimum Value, coz thats what is going to be a true thing to identify the LED's

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

Latest posts