Lumileds 5W Luxeon Announced

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
any applications one could think of? Especially in replacing the stock bulbs of the magnites?

but not sure what is the working voltage? I bet it is good for the 6 and 5D flashlight with pretty good running time - 30 hours of full intensity at least.

Any comments?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LED-FX:
Guess I heard the rumour here first ;-) but now it is official:
http://www.lightboard.net/newspub/story.cfm?id=88

5W 120-Lumen White LED

Any recent reports on the current quality of more standard Luxeons, are they still of variable colour of white oar have things improved?

Adam
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhhhh! I can't wait to get some of these babies!!!!!

Are the specs published anywhere? I've heard they run at 6.8 volts? I don't know for sure?

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com

Wayne
grin.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LED-FX:
Guess I heard the rumour here first ;-) but now it is official:
http://www.lightboard.net/newspub/story.cfm?id=88

5W 120-Lumen White LED

Any recent reports on the current quality of more standard Luxeons, are they still of variable colour of white oar have things improved?

Adam
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just went to Future Active web site, and do you think I could find this LED? No Way!

Okay, anybody got the part number. Future Electronics . . . well, I better not say much here, I just wish their web site were a bit more useful.

rolleyes.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto that. You're better off looking for a needle in a haystack than trying to search their site.
mad.gif

I hope it uses 4 cell voltage, it just may be a replacement for an incandescent, although maybe not a real bright one.
shocked.gif

Jonathan

Enlightened
Well, there was the mystery Luxeon part number thread, where the LXHL-NX01 came up. Price is right, and it is in stock...but who knows what one would get.

I wonder if the 120 lumen quote was for cyan rather than white; they compare the 120 lumen unit to a 30 lumen unit, and the currently available white Luxeons are only rated at 18 lumen.

-Jon

Alchemist

Newly Enlightened
The link to the PDF document that Brock gave a few days ago has the part numbers at the bottom of page 2. http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led/luxeon5w.pdf

nothing came up though, when I tried a search of future electronics.
Possibly not in stock yet?

White = LXHL-LW5C
Green = LXHL-LM5C
Cyan = LXHL-LE5C
Blue = LXHL-LB5C
Royal Blue = LXHL-LR5C

Alan.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alchemist:
The link to the PDF document that Brock gave a few days ago has the part numbers at the bottom of page 2. http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led/luxeon5w.pdf

nothing came up though, when I tried a search of future electronics.
Possibly not in stock yet?

White = LXHL-LW5C
Green = LXHL-LM5C
Cyan = LXHL-LE5C
Blue = LXHL-LB5C
Royal Blue = LXHL-LR5C

Alan.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much appreciated. Thanks.

I am wondering if this new Luxeon Star will also be sold with the optics version?

wayne www.elektrolumens.com

shocked.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 1W 30 lumens one is the much awaited standard white HD / lambertian supposed for April timeframe .....

And regarding # cells - I guestimate 6 will be needed for 6.x volt and 700ma - just double the current designs - the dye config seems to be 2+2 which doubles the current AND the voltage.

Klaus

D

**DONOTDELETE**

How many watts and lumens do the previous luxeons have?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, the website says they use the exact same form as the 1W ones. Do you suppose Peter and PK will be using these in their new line ups? Imagine a 5W Arc LS!!!
shocked.gif
May need a double 123 pack for it, though. That could really suck some juice.

Do you think this could explain some of the delay in the Arc release? Did Peter know something we didn't?
confused.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux,

we pretty much knew about the parts for a while already - and you can bet that Peter and PK and others had been working on these designs already - but who knows when we will see something shipping ..... Lumiled seems to be always faster in announcing things than in shipping them ....

And regarding the ARC LS "delay" - Peter as he posted lately does change the head for the HD accomodation - and Aragorn posted some info he got from Peter about a 2 x 123 battery pack - until now no official post or rumour was heard about a 5W ARC LS version but even the new 1W HD wouldl be nice ....

And the 5W will be a hot puppy .... I´m not shure if the current ARC LS design will be able to handle that heat dissipation - I think Peter will post something about these parts and his plans over in the ARC forum as soon as he think it makes sense. I think a lot of the "delay" on the ARC LS was caused by too much too early here on the forum ...

Klaus

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading this announcement - suddenly learning all the electronics - seems worthwhile if it means we could learn to put these babys to good use!
Stainless

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
low volt 5.43 typical 6.84 high 7.83 at "maximum" 700mA= 120 lumens, equivalent to a SF P61 in lumens or lux.
Pumping up 10% of current to 770mA= 132 lumens, roughly.
20% overdrive to 840mA=144 lumens, roughly
a 9 volt supply with a buck should make this hum nicely.
A specially desingned holder of 6 parralell 9v transitor batteries should make a compact and handy illumination tool.
Actually a Makita 9.6V rechargeable flashlight with charger would be the perfect mod for this.

TIR Vancouver
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Actually the 5-D MagLite sounds like the perfect mod to me, as no resistor would be required.

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these 5W units!
smile.gif

TripleDouble

Newly Enlightened
Is it my imagination, or did the article mention a 30 lumen 1 watt? This certainly is more efficient than 120 lumen at 5 watts, but I don't ever remember the 1 watt spec at 30 lumens. Strange, or new?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
Ditto that. You're better off looking for a needle in a haystack than trying to search their site.
mad.gif

I hope it uses 4 cell voltage, it just may be a replacement for an incandescent, although maybe not a real bright one.
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well okay, than it's not just me? Unless you know the part number, or the first part of the part number, you'll never find what you're looking for. It's quite bothersome, isn't it. Unfortunately, they're the ones me must deal with in order to get the parts, unless Peter Gransee can get ahold of some and sell them to us.

OH PETERRRRRRRRRRRRRR! How about carrying the new Luxeon Star 5 watter?

grin.gif