Suggest a good pocket light.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Hi all,
I sold my ARC LSHF-P today on the BST board because I needed the money for some medical bills. I had sold my LSH-P a while back also. Of course now I want something else to carry that is about the same size, uses 1 cr123 battery, and much less expensive. I have read about the Nuwai 3 watt that a couple of people are selling but I have a couple of issues with it.
1. I believe in Craigs review he noticed that it leaked around the tailcap. Probably would not be a huge problem though.
2. $58 is still more than I need to or can spend right now.

I have thought about the Peak 7 LED single cr123 light (cannot remember its name right now) but my issues with it are these.
1. If I am remembering correctly the price is $39.99. While not too bad I dont guess it just seems a little bit high to me.
2. After having the Arc I am afraid I will be very dissapointed with the output. I know we are talking about two very different lights here and price ranges. And I must remember that this light would probably be just a temporary solution for me until one day I can again afford a more expensive better throwing light.

Anyone else have any ideas on a single cr123 light with a cheap price I may be overlooking? I know I really do not need it but I got used to having a single 123 light with me.
Thanks,
Jeff

paulr

Flashaholic
These CR123 LED lights are very nice gadgets and they're fun to play with as part of our hobby and they're even useful. But there are times when it's best to concentrate on more important things. If you want an economical EDC'able light in that size and output range, your best bet may be a small incandescent like a PT Blast. It runs on two AAA's and has comparable output to my old LSL-S second (i.e. a bit less than your LSH-P but still in the same general ballpark), it's waterproof to 1000 feet, and you can run it on rechargeables (AAA NiMH). I have a few on hand, so just PM me your address and I'll send you one. I wish you a speedy recovery from your medical issues.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
paulr,
Thank you so much for your post and offer. Your words ring true and I think I will wait to find another light when my health and economic situation is better. Very sound advise and probably what I needed to hear. Thanks for the kind words and wishes.
Jeff

alberto

Enlightened
Of my Surefire, Arc, Longbow, Nuwai, Inova, Mag-mods, and Infinity flashlights, one of my absolute favorites is the $9.95 Dorcy 1AA 3-LED light from Target. It may not be tops in all comparisons to the other lights, but it's close, and it has to have the best price-to-performance/quality ratio of all. Loaded with a lithium AA, it's a fantasic light at a bargain price.

sslavers

Newly Enlightened
elektrolumens has a new 1x123 luxIII flahslight called the zorch. it has not been released yet, nor has the price, but the xm-3 presle price is $10.00 less than the regular price of $49.00. there is a picture of this new light on his website, check elektrolumens forum and see for ourself, most of all of waynes stuff is really good

sslavers

Newly Enlightened
elektrolumens has a new 1x123 luxIII flahslight called the zorch. it has not been released yet, nor has the price, but the xm-3 presle price is $10.00 less than the regular price of $49.00. there is a picture of this new light on his website, check elektrolumens forum and see for yourself, most of all of waynes stuff is really good

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think the Ultra-G, small Dorcy's (AA and AAA), UK 2AAA eLED, and even the 20 lights for $20.00 from CountyComm would be good values and very pocketable. Granted, they aren't 1X123 battery driven, but decent light output and not very expensive.

Mike

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Thank you all for the suggestions. I had forgot about most of the lights mentioned. You guys are the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif.

Aloft

Enlightened
LifeNRA. . . I'll second the motion for Dorcy's AAA. I'm so impressed by this $6 light, I just bought a bunch to give away as gifts, making a special trip to WalMart (it's a ways, there isn't one local) just to get them. Haven't seen the AA in my Target, but I'm looking. The AAA is as bright as an ARC AAA, though not as robust, or as white. Still, for $6, it was more light than I imagined.

Good luck and a speedy recovery!

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i suggest the "goldengadgets s1801", i think is the nearest type of flashlight to your arc and it cost under 30$ shipped on ebay. isn't regulated and i don't know if it is waterproof. the output is very high with new battery and can run also with discharged battery and output a low light. it have a very thight hotspot and a very large (80° i think) sidespill.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I suggest the TekTite Splashlite Led? Its a great 123 light with about 7-8 hrs runtime, dive-rated, DD, and at $20 from batterystation, I don't see how you can go wrong!! I have a couple of these and they're absolute gems, esp in terms of brightness.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Dorcy, Arc, CMG, and other 5mm LED lights are all real nice lights but LifeNRA had originally been asking about replacements for compact Luxeon lights, which make a completely different output/runtime tradeoff. They are about 10x as bright as the 5mm lights. The Splashlite LED is maybe 2x as bright as the 5mm lights, still a long way from being a substitute for an LSH-P. The Waion light with 8 leds may have some promise. The Streamlite Jr is a nice light but it's as big as a Minimag, nowhere near the compactness of the 1x123 lights so again not a direct replacement. All in all among low cost lights, the PT Blast really does seem to come about the closest in size and function to the LSH-P, even if its technology is completely different. I carry one myself fairly regularly.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey Jeff, sorry to hear you parted with your HF as well...in the interim, how about an Ultra-G or Arc AA or AAA? Paulr is right, they are no substitute for the LSs, but do in a pinch, and are even smaller than the LS. I like the Streamlight Jr, even tho mine is kinda green, but it's even longer than a Minimag!

daloosh

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Thanks again guys for all the suggestions and concerns. I will take all of your suggestions under consideration and when I can I will buy another pocket light. Granted it may not be an Arc but I can start saving my pennies right? I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason we just may not find out what it is until its time for us to know. I have already learned some things from my ordeal. I have learned that there are some very good hearted people in the world, right here on CPF, and that my troubles pale in comparision to some others. A lady I know found out that she has breast cancer yesterday. Now before I keep talking and get this thread moved to the Cafe I will just say thank you to everyone for your help and well wishes. It means a lot to me.
Jeff