• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

which aleph to buy, must read from McGizmo

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wrote to Don telling him that all of the options he offers, although nice to have , are daunting to decipher. Below is the response he made to me that I thought I should share for others in the same position.

"I understand and agree with the difficulty of trying to make it clear as to what the heck is what with so many possible combinations! I intentionally locked the price list thread so it wouldn't get to be a mess with follow up posts, both on and off topic. Because of this, I started the Q&A thread hoping it could serve those with questions as to how to order or "is this what I want". Unfortunately this thread has not been used for its intended purpose. Arghhhhhhh

The whole thing is a bit premature in the sense that I don't have all of the Aleph parts yet and there are a couple new converters soon to be available that I am not at the liberty to discuss to any real extent. As soon as I can, I plan to make a few versions of lights that I think make sense and offer them for sale with just a brief description of what they do. This should allow some people to get a light without feeling they need to understand it, inside and out!

What you want is an Aleph1-1x123 with tritium vial in the tail cap. Now here's the catch. If you would want a light that has good output and good runtime without being the absolute brightest it could be, I would suggest a BB500 driver and I can build this immediately for you. If you want the high level to be at max, your current solution would be a BB700 which really doesn't get the full 700 mA to the LED and it is working so hard that it is inefficient and you will only get about 600+ mA to the LED and have a regulated run time in the neighborhood of 20 to 30 minutes. The B500 would give you about an hour. If you want the highest possible, you should wait until I have some "NextGen" drivers which can drive the LED at around 750 mA and give you close to 1 hour of run time. I don't have an exact ETA on these drivers but expect they could be up to a month away.

This is what I had that night that you checked out. I think the NextGen will end up being the most popular driver for the 1x123 format because most people want max brightness; especially when they still get the low level as an alternative. I expect some people will be more sensible and choose to go with a BB400 or BB500; especially if they plan to use the light in high for any extended periods of running. the BB400. If you would like a slightly brighter high level, go with the BB500.

Ironically, your questions and comments here as well as my responses are what I had hoped would appear on the Q&A forum so they could be expressed once for all to read! I was hopeful that the McGizmo Forum could do a better job of informing interested parties while at the same time reducing my time at the computer keyboard! Duh!

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also one of those feeling stupified by the "TWOP XL 500BB Madmunch MCDual IIIPR 3V Jr" kind of language in the posts around here. Here I have a bunch of money that I don't really have, but I still want to spend it on some McWatter or whatever and I don't think there's a collection of pictures readily available anywhere with a clearly spelled out description of what I want but don't need (please correct me if I'm wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif).

Could you please, Mr. McGizmo, make a question out of that and answer it??

Many thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
And P.S., I do have an ARC4+ and I don't think it's too complicated, so why do I have trouble figuring out what you sell ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)?

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
BadBoys(BB) are for 1x123 packs unless it is a 5W.
DownBoys(DB) are for 2x123 3x123 4x123 packs.
5W with a BB will work on both the 1x123 and the 2x123 pack.
More than a 2x123 pack you want a DB for the 5W.
3W with a BB will only work on a 1x123 or the 1x1.5 with a pila. Any higher than those two and you need a DB.
For the TWOP please look on the shoppe forum for the explenation of the bin codes.
xx500 xx400 and so on up and down is how many mA the board will run at. The higher the number the brighter it will be with the run time going down.
Doing a little research on the shoppes site helpped with the explenations for me. Hope this helps a little.

mut

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
No problem it can be very hard to get started with all the info.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gifWe need to keep Don working. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

mut

McGizmo

Flashaholic
sotto and Keith, Yeah, I do understand!

If I can ever get caught up, I am going to make some complete lights that *I* think make sense given my limited understanding of the drivers, LED's, runtimes and what have you. I will offer these for sale with a brief description of what they are. I think I should also make a few recommendations for a standard build so folks can order them without feeling they need to know what's under the hood. I have admittedly not been too proactive about getting some of these parts out of my shop because there is likely some more alternatives in terms of drivers, right around the corner; not to mention the other heads coming out.

At present, and considering what will likely soon be available, I can suggest a couple builds with the Aleph1 head that I think will provide good service and not be superceeded by an improved version in the near future. These comments are in regards to using a Lux III LED.

On a 1x123 power pak, The BB400 and BB500 are good choices for a small light with good mix of brightness and runtime. If you want really bright and want it now, go with the BB700. This light will not disappoint but there is most likely a more efficient max bright 1x123 light down the road.

For max bright with a good range of cell configurations, I still like the DB917. For 2x123 this would be the suggestion at present. For the ability to go from 1x Li-Ion to 2x Li-Ion and from 2x123 to 4x123 ther really is no other choice. If you want to use the high level in constant on for long durations, you might want to back down to 500 or 750 mA. There are and will be some other alternatives for drivers in the single Li-Ion and 2x123 power configurations. Test drivers I have seen show that these can get the max brightness (flux) out of the Lux III but there may be some down sides in regards to moon mode and low level output. It is too premature to say any more on this.

If you are interested in using a Lux 5W LED, I recommend a BB750 and the 2x123 or 1x17500 battery tube (Pila Li-Ion)

That's probably still kind of muddy. Right now, I think the two "smart" moves are to go with a BB500 in the 1x125 pak for a small and good all around light. I think the DB917 in 2x123 is the other smart choice if you want brighter and longer throw with more runtime and don't need as small a package. If you want a good servicable rechargeable set up, go with a DB500 or DB700 and the 1x17500 pak and grab a Pila charger and 150S Pila battery from J. Burleys.

For what it's worth, I recently made gifts of some Aleph lights to family and friends and the lights were either BB500-1x123 or DB917-2x123.

EDIT: Thanks Mutt, man while I was looking for the right keys to punch, you took care of the questions! Maybe I should get back to the bench!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. McGizmo:

What you posted is being saved, backed up, tacked up, and memorized for posterior-arity. I'm afraid I now feel I have crossed the point of no return in my Flashaholism, good or bad. (Right now I'd say "good").

You da' man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moved to the right place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

mut

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Mutt,

Cool but did you mean to add these links to the thread on beam shots?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Not that they don't assist here as well! THANK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

mut

indenial

Enlightened
For what's it's worth McGizmo I think it's great that you offer so many choices for those in the know. For the few technically challenged CPFers as myself, I think your idea of offering some pre-suggested builds is a good idea. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with. No hurry, btw. I'm all tapped out from purchasing the LH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
indenial,

I agree and understand completely your comments. Thanks. As to being tapped out, I have broke the bank and am now making the credit card company happy with the purchase of all of these Aleph system parts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif