*Retired*
Craig\'s Dream Wheelchair

_40015978_jetchair203.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lincolnshire/3611660.stm

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: Craig\'s Dream Wheelchair

no way, not nearly enough lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

although i suppose we could all help him out with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I figured it could climb stairs, had lots of LEDs on it, or had a toliet built in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
But I was kinda caught off-guard when I read the chair had a jet engine affixed to it and could do 60MPH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

cmendoza

Enlightened

I've seen a wheelchair climb stairs! It's called the iBOT.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I saw a discover channel show on a chair that can climb stairs and in the house or store it pivots two wheels up to raise the wheel chair occupant up to I believe 6 feet and used gyros and computer tech to balance similar to the segway, it was neat to see the operator just rise up to take items from the top shelves with no "gymnastics" involved as if they were standing on ground. only two wheels were in contact with the ground during this demonstration.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

60 mph in that doesn't look like it would be very safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

A friend of mine says one of his friends mounted two 75 lb thrust surplus jet engines (I have no idea what they were formerly used for) on a bicycle, and took it on the highway. The bike computer can only read to 99.9 mph (not km/hr), and he says the guy told him he was still accelerating at that point. He thinks he may have hit 110 or 115. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif It burned fuel pretty fast, though, so the joy ride didn't last long. And then he had to pedal the bike all the way back the other way, maybe a good 10 miles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif No, I wouldn't even try something like that. Fastest I've gone on a bike was 65 mph on a long downhill with a good tail wind, and that nearly scared the sh*t out of me.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

You mean from all the poo poo when you get so scared? I know that would happen to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

Cones

Enlightened

Hi,

The turbine is an APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) from a lightning fighter plane.

It is capable of over 200 Lbs of thrust!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
He said he had to turn it down a bit. No kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

I was there! I spoke to him afterwards. He said he borrowed his mother in laws wheelchair whilst she was holiday!

When she got back she thought it was for her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

The sound it makes is almost as impressive as the speed it travels at!

Nutter.JPG

Other highlights of the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) Nats (National Model Flying Championship) were the £30,000 ($53,271) model B52 Bomber with eight jet engines. I was sad to see this crash on the second day.

All held on our clubs local model flying Airfield. How lucky can you get!

Thanks

Mark

jtr1962

Flashaholic

200 lbs thrust?! That would be good for about 125 to 150 mph mounted on a bicycle. Yes, yes, yes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

I dread to think what one of those aerodynamic human powered vehicles would be capable of with 200 lbs thrust. You would definitely need to test it out of the Bonneville salt flats. My very rough estimates put the top speed in the 400 to 500 mph range, and you would certainly need to replace the standard bicycle tires with lightweight metal disks for those kinds of speeds.