Light Suggestions for my Brothers?

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I've got 2 brothers: One is going to London to Study, and the other is going into Singapore's National Service (for those who don't know, NS is Singapore's mandatory Army service for all Singaporean males). I'm goin back to Singapore in a few weeks to see them and i wanted to give each of them a light, but i'm having trouble deciding.

The list i currently have are LX1, Trio, PT Rage, PT Blast, Infinity Ultra.

My criteria was this:

1. AA or AAA cells - they're both non flashaholics, and i know they won't bother ordering CR123A cells.

2. Runtime of 2 hours or more.

3. No bigger than Rage (i know, the LX1 is a *little* too big)

For the guy going to London, i'm thinking that he'll be going for camps or holidays where he might need a reasonable light.

For the guy going into NS, I do not know which would be more useful: Bright (Rage) for moving around camp, or something small like the infinity ultra so he wouldn't bother his bunkmates or other people in camp.

Help me guys, i'm looking forward to any suggestions!!

Thankz!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi IMRBO! Welcome to CPF!

I'm sure the other S'porean CPFers will chime in soon on a more appropriate light for your bro going into NS, but in the meantime...

I'd suggest an Eternalight. Maybe an Ergo3 or Ergo Xray for your bro going to london, its got dimmable functions which will allow the light to last for many many hours, plus at full output, its more than sufficient for camping, etc. Runs 3AA batts for approx 100+ hours (depending on light settings)

The other light you could probably get is the Eternalight Derringer for your brother going into NS. Apart from white, its also got red Leds which might be useful for him. Else an Infinity (non ultra) would be a great light as well if you can still snag any. Get him a red and a white, I think he'll appreciate the ruggedness and output of these!!

Other lights that can be just as useful and just as great, UKE 4AA eLed, UKE 2AAA eLed, Princeton Tec Blast/Rage, juts to name a few that I can remember off the top of my head... Happy shopping!

paulr

Flashaholic
The most unobtrusive light for use in a bedroom is a red-led. I'd say a red Photon II is fine. The batteries last so long that you won't have to really worry about his finding replacements. You can include one of those along with the Rage, if you want to give him a Rage. I think I'd go for the Trio rather than the Rage. The Rage won't run 2 hours, by the way.

For the one going to London, I'd suggest an Arc AAA if you can get your hands on one. Second choice is Infinity Ultra. PT Blast is also a real nice light. I'm not so crazy about the Rage.

UK 4AA is quite a bit larger than the Rage.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I heartily recommend the Infinity Ultra G, available from http://www.countycomm.com/cpflight9.htm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif The current offer includes the battery and pocket clip. The finish is also HA III, which is tough as can be. Both of your brothers should be pleased with this flashlight.

I also recommend using the Energizer L91 Lithium Battery, instead of an alkaline battery. It is lighter, has a longer shelf life, and runs longer than an alkaline battery.

oldgrandpajack

EDIT: CountyComm doesn't ship overseas. Many members, including myself, will help you procure them.

Shadows

Newly Enlightened
get him an infinity ultra, sonic, or better still an arc aaa....

dun need bright light cos those aa/aaa lights dun last 2 long... anyway, they might get stolen... also they would onli need bright light for outfield or guard duty, and they are issued standered military angleheads 2 'd' s that provide ebnuff light and last forever....

get him an arc aaa, which he can easily carry around...
i found mine veri useful esp after 'lights out'when you still have stuff 2 do and for goin 2 the toilet at nite....
its more then bright enuff especially indoors too....

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Infinty Ultra's would be a good choice. Easy to carry, lightweight and always there.
The Eternalights are nice also, but not really an "easy to carry with ya light". But they are very handy. I used my Ergo the other weekend as a nightlight. I was staying with some friends, and they had no night lights in their house(I have a hard enough time walking around my own house at night, with night lights), so I set my Ergo on 1 LED, and left it on all night. I think it will run 2700 hours on 1 LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Gotta love it.

Blades

greenLED

Flashaholic
Ultra-G for your bro going to the military (I'm thinking small and light), Trio for your London-bound bro.

Wait a second, what about a Petzl Tikka for your bro in the mil? Countycomm has the all-black with red reflector model! Might be handier for him if he needs to use both hands while having to accomplish some other task. It runs off AAA and is really small.

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

The Eternalight Derringer i think would be great for my bro goin into NS, but i'm a little concerned about it surviving all the army training. I know the website says that it can be submerged, but i'm still not too sure about that. In any case, i don't think i'll be able to obtain one in time, as I need it before the 16th of Sept.

I was thinking of ordering from Battery Station and having them ship directly to my home in Singapore. I think that if i get my order in today or tomorrow, it should arrive on time.

The UK 4aa E-Led's are also very tempting, but i feel that it's a little too big for either of my bros so easily carry around everywhere...

The Ultra-G is also a great idea, but unfortunately CC dun ship overseas. Thanks oldgrandpajack for offering to forward to me, but i dun think we have enough time to do that.

Ok, i think it's gonna be Trio for London, and Infinity Ultra (maybe red led?) for NS.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMTRBO,
Good choices, and you should be able to order both the Trio and Infinity Ultra from Batterystation. For Malaysia it normally takes 10 days for a package (from Batterystation) to reach me, might be a little faster for S'pore though, so you'll have some time to spare if you order soon... Good luck!

Spidey82

Enlightened
wee i don't really get to use my light much during my BMT. i brought my e2 and arcAAA
i use my arcAAA to read and write at night, go toilet. my e2 is kept in my locker. i attach a P2 to my dog tag, useful at times.
my 2cents worth

Latest posts