boots

matt_j

Enlightened
I pretty much wore boots all my life. Recently I started to wear hiking sneakers but I prefer boots for all around use. I always had paratrooper boots like this:

Im000105.jpg

Those are Rockies 8 inch paratrooper. I like them for my EMT work and they are pretty comfortable.

Before that I used to have 10 inch Army jump boots.

I also have Scarpa boots liek this:
scarpa_sl_m3.jpg

What I'm looking for is a solid boot can be brown or black that can be used in the winter or summer with vibram sole and ready to take abuse. No gortex. They have to be on the lighter side. I can always make them warmer but never really cooler. I dont want new fancy high tech assault special ops stuff that companies are poping out like crazy. I want something with a proven design.

I was thinking about BatesDOD Marine Issue Jungle Desert Boots but since they are only available to the public as factory seconds I never seen them or heard anyones opinion.
B0001EJIMG.01-A1V1Z4BJNVFJUK._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

My budget is about $150. Thank you for all your help. I will be using boot for yard work, hiking, casual outings, running around and work. I want to stay away from cheap boots or very light ones (typical jungle boot from us calv).

Matt

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three pairs of desert boots,
You are right, they are very comfortable. All I had to do was go hang out in a desert for months on end, my new ones will hit the sand by the end of the week.
Maybe you could ask around on a military news group, someone must have a spare pair laying around.

double_r76

Newly Enlightened
The Wellco VCL-ICB Boots are getting excellent reviews around the tactical circles. Lightfighter Tactical and Practical Tactical both carry them for ~$80. I'm probably going to get the Magnum Amazon 4 Boots here pretty soon because they have a less military look to them. There's also the Oakley SI Assault Boot that is now out in tan, they retail for ~$230, but you can get them for ~$150 on EBay. Some Oakley owners complain of poor wet traction. HTH!

-Randy

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
My podiatrist recommends that everyone should get boots or shoes with a steel shank. He says the stiffer the sole the better. He also claims that sneakers keep him in business. I've read there are now carbon fiber shanks available, to keep the weight down. I use Red Wings, but can't remember the model.
oldgrandpajack

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I wouldn't buy boots I couldn't try on. Boots all fit differently and finding ones that fit right can be a bit of a challenge.

That said, I've had a pair of Vasque Sundowners that I have worn most every day for many years. They are light, comfortable, and pretty darn sturdy.

vasq_sundownclassic_m.jpg

-john

Frame57

Newly Enlightened
My recomedation would be the Danner Acadia range Danner Police and Military Boots They come insulated, un insulated, with or without steel toes, and in a Desert version. The big advantage with these boots is they need virtualy no breaking in and once they mold to to your feet they're the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Also the sole is stiched to the upper rather than glued so you don't have to throw out your favorite boots when the soles wear out, you can just get them resoled. My first pair of Danners lated 17 years (Yes thats right 17 Years) with 5 resoles, before the uppers finally wore out. I now wear Danner 8" Acadias every day and love them.

Jim Skinner

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I have Vasque Sundowners as my heavy winter boots - I wear a pair of the Magnum Patrol type boots in black almost ever day, simply because I can polish them

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
My footwear choices are made 100% for comfort, and having EEE-width feet means that I have to import from the U.S. for all of my footwear.

My favourite boots are the Rocky 8" duty boots or 10" Corcoran II's.

The Rocky 8" duty boot is relatively cheap and easy to maintain - polish every other week, and a Nikwax treatment every season. My current pair is over a year old, it has been worn every day, and the leather still looks new.

Frame57

Newly Enlightened
Brush the leather gently with a steel bristle brush to restore the rough surface and treat with a sutable leather conditoner. Danner sells their own brand which is what I use

Jim Skinner

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Hmmm...

Aside from brushing the boot, if you're going to get the boot wet, a periodic treatment of Nikwax for waterproofing the leather would be my recommendation.

*EDIT* - What Frame57 said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Frame57

Newly Enlightened
The leather that Danner uses in their boots is already treated to be waterproof, you just occasionally need to use leather conditoner to keep the leather from drying out. On their regular boots a good quality polish will also work.

matt_j

Enlightened
Which leather would be more water proof? I see both boots (Magnums) made the same way but one is borwn and one is black.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being from the northwest, I don't buy into this waterproof leather stuff, at least not permanently. Of course, in most places and in most situations I'm sure it's fine. In real wet situations, water wins. Periodic treatments with Snowseal or Nikiwax are the way to go in my book.

-john

Frame57

Newly Enlightened
The Danner Acadia desert boots are not Gortex lined or insulated (they are for the desert after all). But they do have a quick drying liner if your feet get really wet. The rest of the Acadia line is gortex lined and therfore waterproof.

Jim Skinner

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the Danner boots, but my Sundowners are Gortex lined, but AFAIK, it isn't to waterproof them - more to create a one way vapor barrier to keep your feet dry (from their own persperation). Gortex isn't really waterproof either. If you don't belive me, put on a pair of Gortex boots and stand it several of inches of water for a half hour. Replace with hard leather boots with a fresh coat of Snowseal (heat boots prior to application for best effect) and repeat.

-john

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
My
Goretex stuff is waterproof, and I have stood in water much longer than that.

If the seams have broken, the laces are covered with water, or they have been mistreated they might leak, but mine don't.

Bill

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raichle. Bought a new pair this summer and hope to get the same 10 years out of 'em that I did with the old ones (re-soled a few times). The old ones were comfortable from the first day 'til the last

Gore-tex lined, steel shank, etc.