X990 group buy - THEY'RE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
X990 group buy - THEY\'RE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would there be any interest in a group buy for the famous Arco/Mcculloch X990 35 watt HID spotlight? Right now it looks like I could do 5, maybe 8 of them for approximately $300 *shipped*, possibly less. The lowest I've found them for anywhere is about $500. Only 4 would be available to buy...since I want one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

unnerv

Enlightened
Re: X990 group buy?

I just payed for a Lionheart and new PC so the wallet is feeling a little empty right now. At this price tho it might be time to whip out the plastic. Count me in at $300 shipped.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Er, that's one good deal. Where the heck did you find that? Even Brightguy a few months back was nowhere in the ballpark. Hmm, ok,...

cheese

WB

Newly Enlightened

BatteryCharger

Yes I would like one

Thanks
---------
Bill

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cheesehead said:
Er, that's one good deal. Where the heck did you find that? Even Brightguy a few months back was nowhere in the ballpark. Hmm, ok,...

cheese

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a guy that is doing business with the manufacturer in Asia. I will have more info with the exact prices in the next few days.

Just for my own info - the X990 completely, totally blows away any halogen light, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Count me in as well. This is the complete light right? Just like the one Bright Guy sells? light, battery, charger, extra battery and case... i believe

Lastly, are these new factory sealed or refurbished units?

Thanks for putting this together and offering it to us.

Curtis

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not totally sure what it includes - definately the light, at least 1 battery, and a charger. Might be two batteries and a case. These are brand new, not refurbs.

Also, there is a small chance that I may be able to get more than 5.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update:

This includes the a plastic case, charger, and only 1 battery. I may be able to get extras for around $60. (most replacements are $100+) Doesn't look like I will be able to get the second light I talked about.

lambo

Newly Enlightened

Please count me in as well, BatteryCharger, if the full number of x990's haven't been accounted for yet.

I knew this habit of staying up late to browse CPF would eventually pay off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

(Oh, is it safe to assume that these would come with a useable U.S. warranty?)

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another update:

Looks like I will be able to get at least 8 of them. It is also looking more and more like the $300 price will go DOWN. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif More info tomarrow...

Not sure about a warranty. I'll check into it...

udaman

Banned
Re: X990 group buy? $300 :)!

There, I changed the title of the thread just a bit so that people understand this is not just another 'average' discounted GB. Someone contacted BrightGuy about a GB and there was only something around a $20 discount.

Now if you started off with the title "$300 X990", in the proper GB forum, I think you'd have dozens of orders already. No real warranty to speak of if it is coming directly from Asia---buyer beware, the risk is your shipped unit doesn't work when it arrives or a few months down the road there are operating problems. I've seen a few posts here about some problems had with these.

Now if someone would figure out if the newer, smaller Hella Gen4 50w ballasts will fit inside one of these, I'd go for the full price of the BrightGuy version.

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened

This is great that you're extending this deal to us. We'll all help each other out ok? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Count me in pending final price...

As for beating out all halogen lights, take a look at some CPF halogen magic at work here near the bottom of the page.
http://www.jtice.com/bsdb/
This is a fellow CPF'ers website. Hi jtice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

If you're talking about production halogens then I'm not sure but I think I recall reading that even the budget minded 10MCP Thor halogen spotlight comes close to rivalling a 35W HID in terms of PERCEIVED total light output.

The real value of an HID setup IMO is the colour representation. I personally like a light distribution that is more towards full spectrum lighting (ie. the sun) much more than the yellowish hue of incandescents.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update again:

1 year warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

udaman - this was more of a feeler, I didn't expect this many people to jump at the chance of spending $300 for a flashlight. I should have known better on CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To be fair to brightguy, he probably gets them from a distributor in the US, probably for more than $300. (Arco)Obviously he couldn't sell for less than that in a group buy. I don't believe these will be Arco branded...

lambo

Newly Enlightened

Nothing but great news since I last checked in, BatteryCharger! Thanks!

I don't know about you, but I may not sleep tonight.

udaman

Banned
X990 group buy - <$300

[ QUOTE ]
mudmojo said:
This is great that you're extending this deal to us. We'll all help each other out ok? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Count me in pending final price...

As for beating out all halogen lights, take a look at some CPF halogen magic at work here near the bottom of the page.
http://www.jtice.com/bsdb/
This is a fellow CPF'ers website. Hi jtice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

If you're talking about production halogens then I'm not sure but I think I recall reading that even the budget minded 10MCP Thor halogen spotlight comes close to rivalling a 35W HID in terms of PERCEIVED total light output.

The real value of an HID setup IMO is the colour representation. I personally like a light distribution that is more towards full spectrum lighting (ie. the sun) much more than the yellowish hue of incandescents.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, the 35w HID capsule in the X990 is rated for approx. 3,200 lumens. The Thor uses 100w H4 auto bulb and in standard configuration it's less than 2,000lumens for that bulb. But then there is the utility of the X990 design; quick-change battery packs, pivoting head, and longer runtime that the lower wattage HID makes possilble; in a rather hefty package, however.

Lots of modded hot wire guys doing well beyond 3,200 lumens, but not the longer runtimes of the X990.

See, bwaites "Mule" project, for example. The "Mule" Mule/Aurora/Pheonix class light

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: X990 group buy - <$300

If anybody wants an extra battery for ~$60, let me know now. Not sure if I can get them or not...

Azecos - not sure about a 220v charger, again, I'll find out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PeterW

Enlightened

A 220V charger would be vtal for us Euro-CPFers. How long is this offer going to stay open for, looks like you could get a LOT of business comming your way.

Yes the Aurora/Mule/Phoenix will be impressive and smaller but it seems to be taking a LONG time to get built and still no idea about the cost.... this could give more and cost less?!

PEterW

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ack! Count me in, pending final cost. I can't believe I'm considering spending so much for a light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

Someone tell me, do I REALLY need that second battery?