Hong Kong 21 Led 2X123's on eBay

RossB

Newly Enlightened
Hong Kong 21 Led 2X123\'s on eBay

Lots of these 21 led/2X123 things on eBay - example http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16037&item=5119825594&rd=1
and I didn't see anything similar in a search here at CPF. Apologies if this is old.

Mine was a buy-it-now and ran me $21US including airmail from Hong Kong and a rather oddball belt sheath.

The body seems to have been milled out of a solid Al billet - there must be a mountain of Al swarf there in HK. Battery compartment walls are a good 2+mm thick. Battery access by threaded tailcap w/ on-off click switch, and O-ring seal. I can't vouch for the business end, an AL-appearing plate w/ the 21 LED's in a grid, like the ones offered here lately by "waion". I can't budge the head. Maybe it's epoxied in, maybe it screws in, but it ought to be decently waterproof.

Compared to an old ARC LS, it isn't as bright at the center spot, but it has a wider beam, almost as bright w/ lots of spill. This would be a great nighttime hiking light - decent throw and wide coverage.

Various claims of 50 hours/30 hours runtime on the 2 123's. Since the light's unregulated, I'd say "bring spares if over 10 hours needed." But all in all, a nice compact light. Battery life is an unknown. I'd slap Armorall or something on the elastomer switch cover right off and every 4 months thereafter, to keep it alive.

RB

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hong Kong 21 Led 2X123\'s on eBay

Would be interesting to compare it to similar lights with fewer leds to see where the point of diminishing returns is for multi-led 2xCR123 lights. 19 led ones are sold for $14 each ($24 for 2) delivered here . 13 led ones for a buck less here . The 13 led ones look to have a pretty good battery life from the test photos in that web site - although the "12 hour" light levels may be misleading as the batteries were given 12 hours in between to rest before the "after" picture was taken.

ZDP189

Newly Enlightened

ROFLMAO: $14!!!!!

My friends and I came across "Police Brand" flashlights in Ebay before. I suggest you check out a thread called "Bad or Worth the Money" in the britishblades.com forum in the flashlight section.

You'll see just how little these things cost and how cheaply I was able to ship them for. True, it was for my buddies and I made zero profit, but I reckon that the ebayer has a $8-$9 profit margin in there.

Also, I can give some feedback on the 12 LED Police lights. They're very good for the money (assuming you pay $4.00 to $4.50) but they're not particularly watertight, are DD and are nowhere near as bright as a 1 Watt Luxeon LED light.

waion

Newly Enlightened

Hello,RossB,nerdgineer. Actually, I've accessed to those 19 or 21 LEDs 123a*2 lights you guys mentioned above a month ago. These two lights are surprisingly obviously dimmer than the 16 LEDs lights, unless you're using 2 li-ion rechargeables (with higher voltage and really surprisingly bright!). However, the runtime is only appro. 15 mins then. This is the reason why I'm not selling them here in CPF. The same situation also occurs in the 19 LEDs 3AAA, which is obviously dimmer than the 16 LED 3AAA. I don't know the answer why these are the cases up to now.

Since these lights are belonging to no brand names and are all produced in China (not here in H.K.), they could come from more than a single factory. This makes the quality even of the same light (design) very difficult to control. Anyway, they are still cheap enough to try. My favrite is the 16 LEDs 123a*2 light when running it with the 17670 (unprotected li-ion rechargeables). If I want to WOOW the others, I will just use the 21 LEDs with two 16340 (rechargeable 123a unprotected li-ion cells)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

We understand that these Chinese made lights are cheap on the street in HK, and no doubt there is a markup in the delivered prices. However, these prices seem to be what current sources charge for delivered lights.

I noticed that you were selling lights in the british blades forum at what appeared to be considerably lower prices. If you were to offer something like that here (in the B/S/T section) I'm sure that I and lots of other CPFers would be interested.

ZDP189

Newly Enlightened

nerdgineer, I'm a banker by trade, and not in the flashlight business. I shipped those lights as a favour to my buddies over there. Those prices represent HK street prices plus the cost of the envelope and stamps.

I am new to this forum and in no hurry to undermine the dealers' prices here by dumping cheap lights on the forum market place, and besides most of ya'll are too sophisticated to want a $5 flashlight.

That said, if you guys (except obviously Wai On, who can find Apliu St by himself) are tempted to buy cheapo flashlights from eBay dealers in Hong Kong, send me an email first and I'll see what I can find.

... unless Wai On is the mysterious dealer on eBay, in which case, I'll sneak off and hide before he comes looking for me.

You can refer to my Trader Reputation on BB, or ask Raoul Duke here, if you have doubts.

udaman

Banned

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif Hmm, so I guess I'd be 'beating on a dead horse' ---UR a banker in HK and are not familiar with Western colloquial usage of this expression? ( a futile effort in 'wasting my time trying to get you to change your mind') if I wanted even better deals from you by using Jessica Alba for my avatar? (j/k)

Note: (j/k) is shortened form of 'just kidding'/ 'just joking'

ZDP189

Newly Enlightened

Looked like a combined bestiality & BDSM smilie, unless those are a bunch of joss sticks and he's praying to a dead animal. The description said only "dead horse".

As for deals, the prices discussed in BB don't even cover the subway fare, so even Jessica Alba couldn't get me to beat that, unless it were a naked Jessica Alba, but then your avatar'd be modded before you could post.