My rechargable batteries for E2e - KL1 experiment

Astro_Saber_III

Newly Enlightened
I hate buying non-rechargable batteries, so I decided to spend $5 on two "2/3AF" rechargable 1.25V batteries and experiment with the E2e. I believe they are 400mAh each. They are the exact diamater as a CR123, but slightly shorter so I had a small brass or copper spacer to make up for the shorter batteries. To my surprise, with the KL1 head, the light was just as bright as having 2 CR123's in the E2e! I used one of them camera light meters to measure the output, which is very unscientific, but gives a general guide to go by. I took two 2/3af's off the overnight charger and put it in the E2e and pointed it at the light meter for 1/2 hour. It only droped 6 numbers on the display (987 to 981) during the first 1/2 hour. I let the E2e cool down for I'm guessing 20 minutes, and it did the same thing for the next 1/2 hour. Then the third 1/2 hour test, the KL1 started dropping output vary rapidly before finally starting to blink on/off every few seconds with low light output.

Needless to say I was very impressed with the performance of the E2e/KL1 combo with the rechargable batteries.

The downside to this is that the original E2e incandecence bulb is dim with only 3V. Also Nickel metal hydride rechargable batteries loose 1-2% of their charge daily with no use. Let the batteries sit for a month, and you'll get almost no runtime because they will be half dead. I just leave one set on a trickle charger, and swap batteries every 4 days or so.

Are there any other alternatives other members have come up with for rechargable mods for the E2e?

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My rechargable batteries for E2e - KL1 experim

You might want to look into the Pila 168s lithium Ion rechargable battery, which will replace 2xCR123 cells in your Surefire E2e. These are 4.2v when fully charge and will discharge down to 2.5v, with a capacity of 1400mah.. Li-ion batteries also have an extreme low self-discharge (2% per month), so can be left in the flashlights for extended periods of time without use.

Astro_Saber_III

Newly Enlightened

I will check into that. I just figured for $10 I could not go wrong - even if they didn't work.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like a good alternative to the tried and proven Pila method. You'd need to hack up your own charger (normal AA charger with adapters) for the cells, but it would be considerably cheaper than $24 for a Pila and $43 for the charger. How are you charging your AFs?

Check these out, their 2/3 A cells are the same as AF (I checked the manufacturer's datasheets), and offer 1000mAH - they'll double your runtime.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Underdriving the E2e's lamp can reduce its operational life. If you must use 3v, i would suggest you use the KL1 only, or buy an MN01 (E1e) lamp.

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened

ASTRO SABER,
Where do you get the spacer? Do you know if I can use plain aluminum foil to make the spacer?

KevinL,
How can I hack the charger to work the 2/3AA or do you know where I can buy adapters for it?

Thanks

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I doubt you can buy adapters. Not only that, 2/3 AF's diameter is bigger than AA. You could probably build some adapter yourself with a lot of wires and a couple of holders. How exactly I'm not sure, but as long as you can wire the contacts on the charger to the battery, it should charge.