Off the beaten track

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to take a walk... Well, not the usual kind. The thing about living in a very heavily populated city is that quality dark is hard to find but I was lucky enough to find a flashlight testing zone near my home. Parks won't do, too brightly lit.

Anyway, I took two lights out of the collection for the walk, the ubiqitious KL1 and the Surefire C2 (P60). Most of the time I use the KL1 as a task light, and for close-range use it really shines. But when you step outdoors, with trees that are probably at least 40ft high, when you're trying to throw 100 yards, that's the P60's domain. I think they reflect better off green and brown things too. The KL1 is a decent walking light when all you want to do is see a few yards in front of you, but when you really need to reach out and ping something you need all the lumens and spectrum you can get. White works well when you are digging for multicolored network cables. Incan seems to look better outdoors. I carry both.

The P60 was awesome, highlighting every little detail, drains, ditches, grass, lots of grass. I even managed to spot some animal because of its red eye at something like 60 yards. I couldn't really see it properly but I think it looks like a bird, the way it keeps turning its neck to look at me with one eye (the other eye is facing away), probably wondering who the heck is this flashaholic trying to blind me late at night.. I can't wait to retry this with the P90/91 and the A19 adapter.

The rest of the lights didn't make the trip because it was a spur of the moment thing, a Mag4D is not conducive to walking, a Photon 1 is useless (been there done it, couldn't even see my feet), and the 6P uses the same engine as the C2. A19's not here yet, neither is my CMG Infinity Ultra.

Now I know what I can't live without, and that's 65 lumens minimum.. I'd really like 105, or better still, 1100 - Mag85 here I come!! I wonder how the Mag85 would look at the 'range'.. with a focusing lens I could probably cook the bird /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
Upgraded mags are really cool to play with outside.
I used my mc/01160 at distances my e2e could barely light up, and the mag just blasts a shitload of light at that point.. can't wait till winter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif