What are these?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tried posting this in the batteries forum, but pictures are disallowed.
--------------------------------------------

Got a bunch of new flashlights for testing, and one of them uses these wierd green batteries.

dscn1360.jpg

dscn1361.jpg

They're 3 volt lithium. 2.70cm from base to top of button (2.58cm without button), and 1.50cm in diameter. The battery on the left is a standard CR123A for size comparison.

What are they and where can I find replacements?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alchemist:
Craig.

this battery looks very much like a standard CR2 camera battery.

cheapbatteries.com sells them for $4.00 each http://www.cheapbatteries.com/photo.htm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just checked my Radio Shack (you know, "The Battery Experts"), and they do not have the CR2 battery or anything even remotely similar. Tomorrow I'll check the fotomat place at the bottom of Western Ave. because they sell accessories for just about every modern camera in production. But I'm not paying $8-$13 apiece for them like the CR123A's cost here.

Radio Shack also doesn't have the stumpy little LR5 button cells that another one of my new lights uses; though they sell one that's almost the same for $4 apiece. (the light uses 3 or 4 at once). This is also absurd considering I can buy LR44s (a bigger version of the alkaline cell) for 9 cents apiece!!

Darell, I might have to "borrow" your card again. Cheapbatteries.com doesn't sell to cash customers, and it looks like that's going to be my next destination. Or more correctly, YOUR destination.
blush.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CR2 batteries in my area are the same price as the CR123s. I guess since they serve the same purpose, and have the same voltage, they can price them equally.
mad.gif
frown.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDagent "stole my thunder". I just got back from Wal-Mart and priced the CR2s there and they were within a couple of cents of the price of 123s, brand for brand.

I don't think I'll be buying any flashlights designed to use CR2 batteries. Same price for 60% of the mah? NO THANKS!

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I just measured a CR2, and they are that size.

I've seen these on USA sites for battery sales, I'm sure.
They don't have anywhere near the capacity of a 123 - you can't run a 9V SF LA on 3 of them for more than a few moments at a poor light output.

Craig, how many do you need ?
(E-mail me)

lightlover