Install Flash or not?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
had some crazy computer problems...had to re-install win xp due to a problem with my browser. WHAT A PAIN!!!!

anyway, i keep getting a prompt to install Flash player...should I? i honestly dont think i need it.

i have zonealarm, NAV, AVG, Adaware and Spybot.

I have already downloaded Mozilla firefox and thunderbird--not sure yet if i want to use them instead of outlook express and internet explorer. i have not installed them yet--want to wait until im sure the system is stable.

edited to ask: how should my active-x settings be in order to allow decent browsing as well as good security?

funny, i used to get zero popups, but now occasionally get one.

suggestions from the tech pros???

thanks,
Bob

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run Mozilla Firefox, and have flash installed. But it's not exactly like you would expect. Anytime there is a flash object, there is an outline of where it goes. In the middle is a little F, which changes into a play button when you move the mouse over it. The F is pretty small, and not distracting at all. When I click anywhere in the outline, the flash object plays.

This is very useful for me because sometimes there is a rectangle at the top of a page. I can usually assume it is just a banner ad, and I don't see it. Other times, the whole page is a flash object, and then I can play that if I want to.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm I wasn't sure how this feature is accomplished. I don't have the "flashblock" extension installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif