Advice Needed for Keyring Light for Arthritic Hands

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Hmm...how about something with a slide switch then?

The keychain light that Technology Associates just started carrying seems to have a big enough switch.

Of course, there's always the ARC AAA, which you need to twist to turn on / off. Might this be better?

Anything else that you can turn on with a gentle push, etc. might turn on by accident...

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
the newer inova microlights has a pretty big slide switch or the cmg infinity has a pretty big head with good aggressive knurling that i think is easier to turn than the Arc's

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The keychain light that Technology Associates just started carrying seems to have a big enough switch.

If you mean the Abitax Tag-light, I doubt that one would be any good. It`s tiny!. I reckon it`s not the easiest thing to activate, though not having seen one yet, I can comment no further.

An Arc would be good, but the head can require a good firm grip to operate on some- at least initially.

Hows about a Photon 3? The new microswitches are supposedly easier to press, and one brief push is all that`s needed to turn it on/off. Pre-set it in Auto-off mode and accidental operation doesn`t get so much of an issue.

grin.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try one of those bullet-shaped types of keychain lites with easy-to-hit tailcap buttons for momentary use.

Something like this:
http://www.glow-bug.com/product.php?sku=3

For constant-on illumination, twisting their tailcaps will hold the light on as long as neeeded. One downside: if kept in a bag or purse, those easy-to-hit tailcap buttons unfortunately activate accidentally sometimes, running down those puny button cells. I've had one run out inadvertently when carried in my jeans coin pocket.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the Batonlite. Small enough to fit in a purse. Large enough to hold easily, and very easy to turn the switch. TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Gave my mother in law a photon2 yellow for the keyring a couple of years back, and she loves/loved it. However the arthritis is worsening and she just hates to go thru the pain of activation anymore. Just can't squeeze the thing on without growing pain.

What key ringish light would be the least painful? yet not turn on and burn itself out in purse or pocket? Does not have to be that smallit is on a ring with a huge Tupperware fob.

No, I like my mother in law and do not wish any more pain on her
rolleyes.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at the Photon IIIs? I just bought a covert and the rear switch is very easy to operate (and it would toggle on/off so she would not have to squeeze it).

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe that someone else has not suggested this yet! Have you looked at the ARC AAA?

In general, I am not a big fan of the twist on / twist off lights, but the ARC AAA is great for turning on and off via the twist method. It seems to be the perfect on/off switch for a keychain light.

If you want something brighter, check out the Princton Tec Attitude. While not keychain sized, it is still small and puts out a lot of light.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
An Arc would be good, but the head can require a good firm grip to operate on some- at least initially.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not an Arc with the O-ring either removed or replaced with a slighty skinnier one?
Unless she's going to be deep sea diving or doing a lot of camping, it probably won't be needed for her.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. Now here I go asking for more......

I think I will start out with an ARC AAA. I have put off getting one for far too long..... She should also then be able to change batteries herself. The Infinity is tempting because of the larger diameter, and battery life, but the loss of brightness is not desireable. (may get her both, let her decide which one I get back...).

How does the ARC twist-on required minimum force compare to the baton light's? ARC is .45" diameter, batonlite is 11/16(.69"). The arc would require her to grasp a short head less than 1/2" diameter to turn against the rest of the body and the entire keyring, while the batonlite has about 5 inches of 50% larger diameter to twist against the short tail that while bigger around than the ARC, may be hard to grasp because it is amongst a keyring that can freely swivel around it. Suddenly this does not sound easier. Am I thinking about this correctly??? How long is the tail twist section?

(I can play with the ARC for a bit and break it in for her. hehe.)

Is the ARC o-ring really needed for head retention? will weakening/removing the ring increase the probability of spontaneous disassembly? Could a "string" be "taped" to the head and body that would allow enough twist to turn on, but stop twisting beyond that point to keep the parts together? How many degrees of twist are required to go from firmly off to definitely on?

Again, thanks for all the great help. Glad I am not a cat.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the 9v PaLight http://www.lightechnology.com/products.htm
It is available with a "lanyard" which could be "jury rigged" into a keyring attachment. I gave one to the arthritic in my life - with a button sized "self adhesive non skid rubber foot" stuck to the switch to enable easier activation. Get the TWO MODE Surelight, NOT the one with the ANNOYING four mode (on/On/ON/on-on-on-on) switch. I think that all models of PalLight have an auto shutoff after 30 min:- making accidental in-the-purse activation less of a concern.
P.S. Your wife will love you for even trying - especially if she does not see this as an excuse to buy another flashlight.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stainless:
I think that all models of PalLight have an auto shutoff after 30 min........
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Surelight is the only PAL that has the auto 30 minute shutoff. I too prefer the Surelight to the PAL Survival light. If they ever improve the beam, someone let me know. Another good PAL is the OneStar.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by forrest:
Is the ARC o-ring really needed for head retention? will weakening/removing the ring increase the probability of spontaneous disassembly? How many degrees of twist are required to go from firmly off to definitely on?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I happen to have an ARC on which I removed the o-ring, and it's never been any problem with it loosening or accidentally turning on by itself; it holds position very well even without the added friction from an o-ring. I turn it only 1/8 of a turn to turn it off from the on position, and it's never been a problem.
The reason this works is the foam cushion on the head, which provides sufficient friction to maintain the position.
Doing the same thing on the Infinity doesn't work as well, because without the foam, it doesn't hold position as reliably.

mc

Newly Enlightened
I really like the CMG 0-4 mini task light.

CMG site

Big rubberized button, an easy slide on switch, slightly bigger then the photons and inova, less plastic in the hand, more rubber. An over all comfortable feel.

This is what goes on my key chain, and the Arc goes in the coin pocket.

This is coming from guy with carpel tunnel, so practical comfort does come into play.

I got mine at Countrycomm, probably need to call, since they do not post all products on the web site.

Mark