• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SureFire L4 (KL4) owners only

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
If you have a SF L4 or KL4 and haven't gone to a two stage switch for it yet, what's wrong with you!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Just joking! Anyway, the L4 is a great flood or wall of light as many have witnesed and testified. It is a real useful packaging of a 5W LED. For me its only real drawback is that it can get pretty hot in long play and more often than not, it provides more light than I want in a task oriented flood beam. I just did a test with a L4 I have that measures 658 lux on high at one meter. With a 22 ohm two tail switch, the low level, for 9 hours of play, was about 1/10 of this which is ideal for what I like to see in a low VS high output relationship. I did a runtime on this because I just love doing runtimes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

SF-L4-22-0hm-LOW.jpg

Now the first four hours of the graph should be dropped until the curve joins. This is because there was an ambient light of about 10 lux until I shut down the shop for the night, four hours into the runtime test.

Below is a photo of L4's. On top is the standard McE2S two sttage switch and then the stock Z57 and at the bottom the McE2S-T or Trim tail cap is shown.

L4-options.jpg

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
With what other light would you compare the low level?
How about at other resistor levels?
Thanks

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered an Aleph tailcap and a McE2S 22 ohm kit/rubber boot from the shoppe last week for my KL4/E1E. If it works as well as the 60 ohm kit in my PR-917/E2D I'll be a happy camper!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Fitz,
I think you might be dimmer than you want on a single 1x123 but then again, I could be wrong. I would have guessed at 10 or 15 ohm since the KL4 is already well under designed Vin on a 1x123. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

GJW,
I really don't have many other brands of light to compare so I'll let others chime in.

marcspar

Enlightened
Don,

Would the 22 ohm switch perform the same in the L5?

Thanks,

Marc

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Now the first four hours of the graph should be dropped until the curve joins. This is because there was an ambient light of about 10 lux until I shut down the shop for the night, four hours into the runtime test.

[/ QUOTE ] Hmm. Looks like you flapped your hand over the head a few times on the way out the door too. Or were you finally dusting the shop? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kj

Enlightened
Don,

Your result is fairly consistent with mine. I felt relieved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
kj,
We need to get going on your stickie!!

Darell,
Would you believe............................................. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Marc,
I have been happy with all of the 2x123 coupled with boost drivers and 22 ohm, including the KL5.

desmondpun

Newly Enlightened
Excuse me Fitz, 22 ohm for KL4/E1E will be too dim. I though you were talking about L4. Dons is right, probably you only need 10 ohm may be even less.

nexro

Enlightened
Another CPFer recommended me to use 15ohm for KL4/E1e.
I will probably be getting an Aleph 1x123 pack and the McE2s 15ohm for my KL4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

marcspar

Enlightened
Don,

Ordered one via email.....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

Marc

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOPs! I actually did order the 15 ohm board. I kinda figured 22 would be too dim. Kinda like me when I wrote that!

avusblue

Enlightened
Here's a question you'll probably find dumb, because I haven't been paying close enough attention: Are these two-stage switches for sale somewhere / by someone? I am very interested in upgrading my 3 L4's, but have no desire or confidence in my ability to build one myself.

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I strongly suggest another sticky in the review-forum:

"Don's runtime plots"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
smoker.gif

bernhard

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to see some Aleph's when I am in California. You better bring a bunch of them to show off.

And to you non KL4 owners....why don't you have one?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all of the lights that I have had since joining CPF, the only one that I have gotten and KEPT (not traded off) is the Surefire L4 A totally amazing light. I did trade off my PR-T head, not because I wanted to but because I had to. I will be getting another one when the nexgen converters come out.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
nexro,
I just tried the 15 ohm and 1x123 pack on a KL4 I have here and it works real nice. I think the low output is smart for the 1x123/KL4 as it will enhance the battery's life as well as give you a very useful low level for in close and "quiet" illumination. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

avusblue,
If you would review my sticky on pricing and ordering, you will be half way there. If you would follow with my humble request on how to order and send me an E-mail requesting McE2S tailcaps in HA-Nat (I presume) for use with L4's I will make these and ship them to you pronto. The price is $50 ea.

Bernie,

Yeah, you know................................... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Jody,

For encouraging Bernie, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Jon,

We need to get together before Cambria so that I can gift you with the Aleph of your choice! You probably want it to run on Pila's ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Mike,
If I can be of service, you know how to reach me. Do you have a two stage on your L4??? Don't anyone count on *my* memory! Alice got me a name tag for personal use; need I say more? Oh one last one... Bernie, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon11.gif

luxlover

Banned
Don,

Aah haa! You also see the merit in using the 15 ohm resistor board in a KL4 + E1e combo. I am glad that I chose it. It provides ample light in an almost pitch black room, and the runtime is tremendous. I tried the 22 ohm board, and the output was too low for me. My L4 light uses a switch with a 60 ohm board, with great results.