Scorpion or UKE 2L

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I am debating which one to buy, give me the reasons why you would prefer one over the other.

Brock

Flashaholic
The Scorpion has the ability to change from spot to flood, has a much smoother beam, and is about twice as bright. The Scorpion uses a tail cap bush button for momentary or click all the way for constant light. It also has a spare lamp in the head, but you would need a long nose plyers or strong fingers to change the lamp. I couldn't do it in the dark for sure.

The UKE runs 3 to 4 times longer, is completely waterproof, but the beam varies from lamp to lamp, but are usually OK. The 2L is a twist the head on light. The UKE 2L is smaller and lighter and fits in you pocket easier.

I would probably choose the Scorpion more often then the UKE, but it really depends on what I am doing with the lights.

Spidey82

Enlightened
Get the E2(provided money isn't a concern) and wait for the lower output lamp if u wan a longer batt life.

back to topic, scorpion or 2L.

i don't own a 2L but i played with it's brother mini Q40 which uses the same lamp assembly. it is true that the beam differs alot from light to light.

the scorpion is twice the brightness like brock said, but u reduce the runtime but a third.The Scorpion has the most usless xenon/halogen bulb i have seen,no other xenon/halogen i have or know .
It has only 3 hours of bunt time.
shocked.gif

the 2L looks a lot toughter

If u want a light for emengencey use, i will go for Uke. for normal use mini Q40, for a bit more tatical usage scorpion.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I only had one 2x123A light, it'd be a tough choice, I might lean towards the Scorpion. But given that I already have a Surefire, which is brighter than the Scorpion, has a smoother beam than the Scorpion, and is better-built than the Scorpion, I'd want to pair that up with a UKE which has some qualities that my M-2 lacks -- e.g., dive-light water-resistance, much longer run time, ultralight. When I need "momentary-on" with the UKE, I tighten the bezel until it's a hair away from turning on, then just pull it with my fingertips.

Anyway, if you already have a higher-end tactical light, I strongly suggest you want a light that has some qualities your high-end tactical lacks (the way the UKE does), rather than a light that has roughly the same qualities only less so (like the Scorpion).

Joe

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use is the key. If cost is your major consideration, go with the 2L. I like both lights, but if I had to choose only one, it would be the Scorpion. To me, it is more "versatile."

P.S. to Brock: I don't mean to hassle you, but in your post above, don't you mean long nose pliers?
wink.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spidey82:
The Scorpion has the most usless xenon/halogen bulb i have seen,no other xenon/halogen i have or know .
It has only 3 hours of bunt time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In one of my UKE 4AA (which uses the same lamp assembly as the 2L) the bulb died on the first set of batteries and I got free replacement. There are always some minor production tolerances.
How many bulbs have you used up in your Scorpion?

I like the UKE lights for beeing absolutely waterproof.

Spidey82

Enlightened
the factory rated it at 3-5 sets when used constant on, and they say it will last less sets of batt if use momentary.
my first bulb last 3 sets.
my second i swap it with the spare aft 3 sets, don't want it to die when i need it,
unless i am all ready to change the bulb.
Linfeng

Brock

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't mean to hassle you, but in your post above, don't you mean long nose pliers?
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL I am so used to calling them long nose and everyone knows what I am talkig about. You know when you say "I need a small philips, and a long nose". Until you mentioned it I hadn't really thought about it
grin.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
The one thing I realy don't like about the Scorpion is that the switch can get accidently turned on in a pocket fairly easily. It has a higher light output than the UK2L, and has an adjustible beam. It's also significantly larger, if you want to carry it in a pants pocket. For a jacket pocket, it probably doesn't matter.
The UK2L is smaller, costs less, has significantly longer burn time (3 to 4 hr, vs. 1 hr for the Scorpion). It also is very unlikely to get turned on accidently in your pants pocket, since you have to twist the head to turn it on.
I've carried the same UK2L in my left front pants pocket for around 8 years now. I've *never* pulled it out and found it dead in my pocket, and it seems to give a fair amount of warning when the batteries are on their way out, too. It's the one flashlight I *always* have with me.
So it depends a bit on what you want to use the light for; but for continuous carry, I don't think you can do better than the UK2L.
I seldom use my Scorpion anymore; the SureFire E2 does the same job much better, IMHO, but I wouldn't want to carry one in my
pants pocket all of the time. I'd go through 3 or 4 times as many 123's, if nothing else. And I hate to think what an E2 would look like after several years in my pants pocket. The UK2L is cheap enough, if I trash it, I wouldn't get too upset. Not so for the SureFire E2.
cool.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all your responses. I decided to get the UKE since the run time is longer and the light is waterproof. Just wondering, what is the life of the lamp module on the UKE 2L?

Gandalf

Enlightened
I don't know what the published life of the UK2L lamp is, but I've had one last through 4 to 6 sets of batteries, and one only last a few hours. And likely some in between. I really haven't kept tack; I have several i use, but only one I carry. I tend to use my UK2L pretty intermittantly; it gets a lot of on/off cycles. Since the replacement lamps 'only' cost $6.50, I keep several of them on hand. I can only keep one lamp on hand for my SureFire lights, due to their much higher price. Another reason I like the UK2L.
cool.gif
wink.gif

Latest posts