RMSK, Inc.        

Thread: PT Scout or Photon Freedom for superlight headlamp

Flashaholic

Default PT Scout or Photon Freedom for superlight headlamp

I'm pretty much looking for something super small and light for EDC in my work bag and for hiking/camping with minimal weight and space, it'll be mainly used for mucking around the campsite in pitch blackness mostly (in a forest no light pollution anywhere!). I myself wear glasses and found that the freedom light can be clipped on my frames easily. (with the included clamp) this is why i'm even thinking about it. both of these are available for the same price at the stores in my city which is the only reason i'm considering these two only. both are super small and i would fit easily in my small workbag for EDC also. main advantage the scout has is the 2nd LED and the extended runtime with the 2032(230mah) instead of the 2016(80mah) coin cells. and main advantage of the freedom is the light variances from high and low are much greater than the scouts high med low setting. both are of excellent build quality and chances of both to turn on accidentally is not too great with something usually this small in a bag backpack. which one would you guys choose and why?

one more note: i already own a tikka+ and this thing is awesome. but when camping with the gf she's really hating the old zoom i lend to her so i want something new and small for myself while i lend her the tikka+. ok ok it just gives me a new reason to get another toy! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Default Re: PT Scout or Photon Freedom for superlight headlamp

You might check out the CMG/Gerber Tracer. It's very small and light, has two fairly white and nicely aimed LEDs (a little brighter than an Arc AAA), uses one AAA, and might give about 10 hr. of usable light. I haven't actually checked mine for runtime. This does not have quite the quality construction of a Tikka. It's not waterproof as the battery door just snaps into place, with no gasket. The on/off pushbutton switch on mine is also a little balky. However, if you can find it for a good price (got mine on sale at REI for $16), really don't need any more light than maybe the mid level on your Tikka, and like the idea of a one AAA headlamp this could be for you.

Geoff

Flashaholic*

Default Re: PT Scout or Photon Freedom for superlight head

If you are really in total darkness, you'll be better off with the Freedom because of its greater dimming capability, as you described. However, it's really not a headlamp, and I wonder if it wouldn't shine light onto your glasses if you clipped it there. This would offset any benefits from using dimmer light, IMO.

Why not carry both? The freedom hardly weighs anything, and can also function as emergency backup. Believe me, you never know with certainty that any given light will work.

In fact, if you stick with the scout, and get a red or cyan/green freedom, you can run that off the same batteries the scout uses. And if I remember correctly, the scout doesn't require both sets of 2032s to work.

How about the Tikka from CountyComm? Its got a red plastic lens that you can put over the light for red light instead of just the normal white leds. I personally use the Pelican Headsup 3Led 3AAA, and its small and light as well for camping and hiking. I wear glasses too, and I have found that to have no glare when in use in the dark. How about an Ultra G on a neck lanyard? That comes in quite useful in that setup as well, I found.

Flashaholic*

I used several Phtons as headlamps with just a simple elastic ribbon (about 6mm or 1/4" wide).
    Remove all rings from the Photon and put the ribbon through the hole. The Photon's shape gives the perfect angle down (IMHO) as I used it only for typical camp tasks and not for walking around.
    It is easy to try. And it has no bulk when put into the pocket.
    If you get the yellow Photon, you get the advantage of using 2032 cells.

Flashaholic

thanks guys, right now i'm leaning towards the photon freedom cause of it's super small size and it comes with the clamp for my glasses. reasons i'm liking this is cause it's really really small and it's electronics are soo much more advanced than the scout (the variable dimming function). The other suggestions you guys gave was great but they would have to be ordered online which ups the cost substantially when shipped over to canada. i'll probably get the white first (very bright and for colour rendition) and then the yellow (long runtime on a 2032). Unfortunately i've owned a yellow photon 2 before but lost it! worked great back then that little thing.

[ QUOTE ]
    Lux Luthor said:
    ...And if I remember correctly, the scout doesn't require both sets of 2032s to work.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I just verified this: the PT Scout will work with only one set of CR2032 cells installed.
    I don't know how long it will work, but I can guarantee with absolute, positive, 100% certainty that it will work.

Asreal, the Photon II yellow runs a long time but is pretty dim. If you dim the white Freedom to a similar level, it will also last a pretty long time (though maybe not as long as the yellow).

Flashaholic*

Has anyone tried a yellow Photon off two 2016s? I was wondering how much brighter it would be. I had one a while back, but neglected to try it that way. I do like the yellow color, but I agree, the stock one is pretty dim.

Craig,

Thanks for the confirmation.

You would blow out a yellow led on two 2016's. Longer wavelength leds (red/orange/yellow) use different materials and want lower voltage than shorter wavelengths (green/blue/white).

Flashaholic*

Yes, but I thought there was some sort of current limitation imposed by the batteries. How much, I'm not sure. I've also heard that reds (5mm's) hold up well at higher current, but I'm not sure if that applies to yellow.