Caller ID Spoofing On The Way

Empath

Flashaholic
Well, maybe I can just jerk the phone cord out of the wall and turn off the cell phone. Maybe that would work.

New Caller ID Spoofing Service

[ QUOTE ]
A start-up began offering a technology Wednesday that can spoof a caller ID number, potentially opening the door to telemarketing calls that seem to be coming from a relative or a different company.

Star38 of Newport Beach, Calif., says that for now it plans to sell the capability only to collection agencies, private investigators and police. "Misuse is something we don't want to see happen," says CEO Jason Jepson. "We don't want this to get a bad name."

[/ QUOTE ]

A few more references:

The service itself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

http://www.iht.com/articles/536986.html
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040902/ZNYT01/409020465/1001/BUSINESS

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have caller ID so they'd have to spoof the voices too, when I screen the calls on my answering machine- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
guess I'll just have to go back to hanging up on people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I wouldn't have any problem doing that if they spoofed me- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A few times I was too lazy to get to the answering machine, I would just pick up and recite my outgoing message, and fake the beep with a touch tone. The telemarketeers would always have a telltale lag before saying anything, so they were easy to spot. Guess they call a bunch of lines and have some way to detect when they get a live wire.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
A friend of mine found using his answering machine to screen his calls unsatisfactory. (Ex GF problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif ) One day he found the phone Co's official message: Beep-beep-beep The number you have reached is no longer in service......." He recorded it and used it for his machine's greeting and notified the friends on his list. It worked splendidly.

Larry

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
A friend of mine found using his answering machine to screen his calls unsatisfactory. (Ex GF problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif ) One day he found the phone Co's official message: Beep-beep-beep The number you have reached is no longer in service......." He recorded it and used it for his machine's greeting and notified the friends on his list. It worked splendidly.

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]
I used that trick for a couple of years with great success -- I just put the tones at the end of my message. About 12-18 months ago some of the telemarketers computer programs stopped using those tones to identify discontinued service. I doubt if any of them do any more.

Lately I've been getting quite a few calls that leave no message on my machine. That's usually a computer trying to log when you're not home so that they can have a real person call you later and not get so many not-homes. If you get a no message call pick up, give them 5 quick octathorps (#####) and hang up. I've read that it messes up the log.

Glenn

Enlightened
This is the message that I have on my machine:

"Hello....you have reached the home of xxxxxxx ...000-0000.......

If you are selling something or asking for a donation....this is your notice to put
us on your no call list.

All other calls are welcome.

You may leave a message or your name and phone number and we will return your call as soon as possible.

Please start talking after the tone. Thank you."

We get very few to 0 telemarketer calls.

Glenn

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the same wonderful results without any of that. Back before the national do not call list I learned that you had to ask to be put on the do not call list. NOT to be taken off their list or any other language. You have to ask to be put on their do not call list.

After doing this almost daily for about a month, I stopped getting calls. I might have gotten 2 other calls the rest of that year.

Even without the national list if you just say that, they have to do it. Don't just hang up, ask them that.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought, but try setting up your voicemail or answering machine with a message that says something like, "You've reached the offices of (your wife's maiden name), (your middle name), and (your last name)." Sounds an awful lot like a law firm. You get very, very few second calls from marketers.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the few times I actually got engaged in a spiel, I found the failsafe way to immediately jump to the END circle of the telemarketer's script flowchart is to tell them you don't have money. They don't seem to have a branch on their chart to continue from there.

My father decided one time to rid himself of magazine subscription pesterors by, "I don't read." Incredulous "You don't read? What do you mean, you don't read?", but repeated a few times, and they got the message. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Caller ID spoofing is already available to anyone with a PBX and direct outward dialing.

At least one company has used it as a way to send spam. Found on my caller ID.

"Get legal help fast" 1-888-555-1212

"Workfrom home" 1-866-555-1212

"Cheap Window Washing" 555-1212

All of these were two rings and hang up. They did not get charged and probably made thousands of call per hour.

I guess we need to amend the Fraud laws to extend to caller ID too.

Daniel

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I heard about this on Thursday morning's news.
What a bunch of horse puckey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Horse puckey!!!
HORSE PUCKEY!!!!!!
HORRRRRRSE PUCKEEEEY!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Gadget Lover is talking about isn't "spoofing" they just register their phone numbers under that name with the phone company. That doesn't make it any less despicable to do that.

If it's an 800 number, give them a call and chat with the operators for as long as you like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That will run up their phone bill at least. Keep asking to talk to managers until you get someone who you feel you can express your displeasure at their creative marketing.

Keep in mind though, that you can't block YOUR caller ID data from an 800 number though. Even if you are blocked by having a private number with the phone company or use the code to block it before the call, an 800 (or 877 or 866 or whatever else are toll free numbers) will always get your ID data, no matter what. (unless YOU spoof it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yeah, the "presentation number" is something that's set up in the telco's central office equipment. That's sad that they're allowing this kind of TeleSpam to take place.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
What Gadget Lover is talking about isn't "spoofing" they just register their phone numbers under that name with the phone company. That doesn't make it any less despicable to do that.

If it's an 800 number, give them a call and chat with the operators for as long as you like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That will run up their phone bill at least. Keep asking to talk to managers until you get someone who you feel you can express your displeasure at their creative marketing.

Keep in mind though, that you can't block YOUR caller ID data from an 800 number though. Even if you are blocked by having a private number with the phone company or use the code to block it before the call, an 800 (or 877 or 866 or whatever else are toll free numbers) will always get your ID data, no matter what. (unless YOU spoof it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my clients has ISDN based service for the PBX. The telco guy there can key in whatever he wants to display on caller ID. Reputable businesses don't think about making it anything other than the company name or the station name.

Use caution when calling teh 800 numbers from this type of service. Not all 800 calls are free. Some are actually pay per minute similar to 976 calls. They
have to tell you this, but there are ways to say these things in such a way that you don't understand. They only need a small percentage of callers to ignore the warning to make a good profit.

You gotta love the criminal (and almost criminal) mind.

Daniel