arc4 level1 runtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi there, i tested my arc4 @level1 with an energizer e2 123. i ran it for 20, 15, and 10 minute intervals with only a minute inbetween. i got 80 min @level1. i tested it again with a panasonic 123(the black battery) and got 84 min@ level1. i am wondering what other arc4 owners have got.
BTW this is a factory first rev.1. i emailed peter and he said that my light was one of the more effiecient ones from that run. i will test it later tonight with a surefire 123. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just finished the test with a surefire and got 80min. @ level1. during this runtime i was melting icecubes on the light every so often to keep it nice and cool, i went through 3 icecubes.
Sean, even though this is a factory first, i don't think it is set to the same brightness as other arc4s, its probably a little lower hence the long runtime. even though all arc4s are supposed to be at the same power, there are enough variations out there in output and runtime to assume that there is a difference between the arc4s. in your website, your LSH/arc4 comparison seemed to me to be similar around level 5/6. my arc4 is similar to the LSH at around level 3/4.
i don't mind it, i just set my primary is set to level 1.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get 35 minutes with r123's lv 1
I've never used primaries in mine.
since they are rated 600mah, maybe 1300mah
will run almost 80 minutes

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
4sevens said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've seen lots of folks who have thought their flashlights did Level 1. Many don't notice it has kicked down...

Do you have a light meter with PC interface, and a runtime plot for yours?

Oh, yeah, most the r123's have a higher voltage to start with, most the losses in the converters are I^2*R related, so the higher input voltage causes the converter to draw less current, thus it runs more efficiently. Additionally, since you are pulling less current, the I^2*R losses inside the battery are reduced.

[ QUOTE ]
Sean said:
The longest I have ever heard was 1 hour at level 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is quite a variance in efficiencies and light output levels for the ARC4, so you have to take all this with a grain of sand. Did they provide a runtime plot with actual lux values for this?

*Retired*
Take a look at these charts of TIN's and notice how for the majority of the "bright" runtime the ARC4's kicked down to Level 4 (Level 4 and Level 5 is where the ARC4 efficiency picks up considerably) :

Arc4x%20Compare.jpg

REV2.jpg

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
4sevens said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Additional to what NewBie said: The LiIon cells also have a betetr high current behaviour, that means they loose much less capacity at higher currents.
Further their internal resistance is lower.
Although the R123 cells I have (Greattech) are not really made for higher loads. They get a little bit warm even at 0.5A and their voltage drops pretty fast to ~3.45V (where it stays almost the whole time).
There are 650mAh cells which should be suited for a little bit higher currents (not really high, but I expect them to behave at 1C approximately as my current ones at 0.5C), but I was not able to get them up to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.