The AW Ban Sunset thread

guncollector

Enlightened
Okay, now I gotta ask the stateside CPF community: Does the AW Ban's sunset on 9/13/2004 affect any of your near-future buying decisions?

Ready to buy full-capacity magazines? Ready to purchase that AR or AK semi-auto rifle?

I know many a gun owner who are having private, post-9/13/04 installation and acquisitions parties. How about your guys and gals?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sure does affect me.
I have paperwork going through the state of Texas for my armed guard commission card.
I should be getting the commission card by mid to late Sept.
When I get that, I can start carrying a semi-auto pistol.
I'm going to buy a new Glock with a few high capacity magazines to bring to work.
Probably a Glock model 17 or 19 9MM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Just like with pepper spray, it's important to bring enough for everyone, for when things go to heck in a handbasket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif
Running out of ammo in a video game is one thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
Running out in real life is far more tragic.

double_r76

Newly Enlightened
My only hope is that Colt 9mm SMG mags can be reasonably priced after the ban sunsets... even the Colt LEO 9mm mags can only be found for $50 and up to qualified buyers! Come on aftermarket, show us what you can do!

Also, I might put a LMT SOPMOD stock on one of my post-ban lowers... I've already got a pre-ban with an VLTOR carbine stock and a preban with a Magpul M93A, the addition of the LMT would give me all the premium collapsible options!

-Randy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't have enough money to plan to buy anything.

The Sunset of this utterly STUPID ban is a check mark in the column marked "Freedom".

Oh yeah... the Bayonet on my SKS won't be illegal then... like I care!

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Not here in CA... [The lament starts flowing big time] [Scene ends with FLB kicking a small cap mag down an alley as an obvious acknowledgment that aluminum cans might be worth more]

guncollector

Enlightened
Actually, regarding California, the AW Ban sunset does have just "a little cause" for celebration.

Owners of legally SB23-registered POST-BAN configured firerms will be able to modify their rifles back into "PRE-BAN" configuration (note: I use put PRE-BAN in quotes, because after 9/13/2004 there will no longer exist any such concept as Pre- or Post-Ban. The law simply disappears off the books.).

In-depth explanation: the California bans fall under one of two types: those banned by name under Roberti-Roos and the Kasler decision, and those banned by features under SB23.

But here's the kick, while Roberti-Roos/Kasler/SB23 ban the future sale/transfer/manufacture of AW's effectively after 1/1/01, none of the legislation bans the # of "evil features" on AW's--only the Federal AW Ban (1994 Crime Bill) did that.

So, with the Federal AW Ban sunsetting in 10 days, all Post-Ban configured AW's--even in California (but only those grandfathered in and registered under SB23)--can now be modified to have Pre-Ban features! I know, small cause for celebration, but hey with two Post-Bans in my safe, I'll take what I can get!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
like playboy, i don't have enough cows to purchase anything anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

otherwise it certainly would!

MichiganMan

Enlightened
I'm just hoping that the Glock 15 round mags come back down to resasonable prices. I don't need any right now but I always had that feeling in the pit of my stomach any time I thought I might have lost one of the ones I had.

Knowing I can replace one without refinancing the house will allow me to... well, obsessively worry about about some other unlikely misfortune. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glock hi-cap mags (or "standard capacity" as I prefer to call them) are already available for pre-order on the 'net. I ordered 5, not so much because I need them, but just because I can. I'll get more and more as time goes by, simply because the day will come when the ban returns, IMO.

New Glock hi-caps can be pre-ordered at www.fourfourmagstore.com for $22.

guncollector

Enlightened
Conventional Glockster wisdom--as found at Glocktalk.com--dictates that full-capacity magazines will run around $20.00 a piece!

This is mindblowing to those of us who have put up with $75-100 asking prices for Pre-Ban full-capacity mags.

Alas, the importation of hi-capacity magazines into California is forbidden by SB23; so the supply is theoretically fixed. I say theoretically, because, should the manufacturers sell full-capacity magazines indistinguishable from ones made prior to 9/13/1994, how is SB23 enforceable?

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Am a little cash strapped right now but will be buying some full capacity magazines in the future. Just hope congress never pulls this stunt again. And you can thank the NRA that the provision was in the bill to sunset in 10 years and not a lifelong ban. The NRA knew they could not get the votes to stop the bill from passing but lobbied hard for the 10 year sunset. And lets please use the terms "standard" or "full" capacity not "high" like the gun grabbers want us to refer to them as. There never was a "high" capacity magazine before the AWB.

notos&w

Enlightened
I'll be buying some "normal" capacity magazines for my G17 and Beretta 92. These stupid 10 rounders make counting easy (10 goes into a box of 50 much better than 15 or 17) but they're too hard to load. Besides that, the whole ban was utterly ridiculous to begin with, so I'm glad to see better heads have prevailed. That said, I'll probably buy one more than I need just in case.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have thought of something...

Maybe the ridiculously high prices of Mags for my Astra A-80 (9mm) will come down.

However they MAY be high due to not many existing.

I could use another though.

All in all however, I don't feel that cheated by 10 rounds...

I support gun control...

Meaning having a good grip and hitting what I aim at!!!

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish they'd come out with higher capacity magazines for some of the post '94 weapons like the Hi Point Carbine. I think it would be sweet to have a 15 round magazine even if it DID stick down out of the pistol grip a few inches.

J_Oei

Enlightened
I'm planning a small shopping spree,
similar to what I did just before the ban
(Bought 2 AR-15s, FN-FAL and a Ruger mini-14 GB)

Thanks for the link for Glock mags.
Any other good post-sunset sales?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Darkcobra

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
guncollector said:
Owners of legally SB23-registered POST-BAN configured firerms will be able to modify their rifles back into "PRE-BAN" configuration (note: I use put PRE-BAN in quotes, because after 9/13/2004 there will no longer exist any such concept as Pre- or Post-Ban. The law simply disappears off the books.).

In-depth explanation: the California bans fall under one of two types: those banned by name under Roberti-Roos and the Kasler decision, and those banned by features under SB23.

But here's the kick, while Roberti-Roos/Kasler/SB23 ban the future sale/transfer/manufacture of AW's effectively after 1/1/01, none of the legislation bans the # of "evil features" on AW's--only the Federal AW Ban (1994 Crime Bill) did that.

So, with the Federal AW Ban sunsetting in 10 days, all Post-Ban configured AW's--even in California (but only those grandfathered in and registered under SB23)--can now be modified to have Pre-Ban features! I know, small cause for celebration, but hey with two Post-Bans in my safe, I'll take what I can get!

[/ QUOTE ]

So I'll be allowed to install a threaded barrel for a flash hider on my registered rifle now? Install collapsing stock? If so, I guess there is cause for some celebration in California.