Lots of headlamps on closeout at REI

chumley

Enlightened
I picked up a Black Diamond Supernova from REI outlet about 2 months ago. I had it shipped to REI store, so I didn't have to pay shipping charges, or any sales tax either.

gailt

Newly Enlightened
any recommendations for a general all purpose head light.a headlight works best for me,but I don't have a clue as to quality or design.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
General purpose? Get something with LEDs for longrun times. If I didn't need looooong throw at times on the job..I think the Princeton Tec Aurora or Petzl Tikka would be just fine and affordable as well!

I looked at a Black Diamond Zenix...but didn't like the beam on the Luxeon (a bit too much of that pea green corona for me) or the 2 5mm LEDs.

Oh...and that new Princeton Tec Corona is looking pretty good too (for general purpose).

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any reason for this closeout? For example, I'm interesting in the BD Super Nova headlamp, but does the fact that REI has them on closeout hit that BD is updating that model?

Thanks,

-john

chumley

Enlightened
John N, the Supernova on clearance is an earlier version, it has 1 led instead of 2 that the current model has. I mostly wanted it for the incandescent function, so I can live without the 2nd led. I think that 2 leds are more useful if someone is going to use the light mostly in led mode.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the BD Supernova, but didnt know it was the older version... No where on the site did it say that. Hope I wont be disappointed with the single LED vs the dual LEDs...

chumley

Enlightened
You can't take REI's lighting info too seriously, I think they try to be accurate, but the data doesn't seem to match. They mention testing led lights at 1 foot instead of 3 like the incandescent lights. Also they don't take beam angle into account in their ratings.