Portable air tanks

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
I was about to pick up a portable air tank at wallyworld but I figured I'd ask you guys first.
Are these tanks enough for filling up a car tire or two? It was a 7 gallon tank.
I just want something to have around to fill up bike tires and the occasional car tire. I can fill it up at the local gas station for free.
Unless anyone has a recommendation for a good cheap air compressor....say $100 or under.

rocketmaninphx

Newly Enlightened
I have one and it is great for bicycle tires. Big however though is that it is tough to fill up. I have not found any free air at gas stations for quite a bit. I have both a compressor and a tank. I fill the air tank to 125 PSI on my compressor (You will never get that at a gas station. I take the air tank when we go for family group rides in the back of my truck in case I have a last minute bicycle fill at the event.

I have the Sears Compressor that I got for $80. Small tank but will fill to 125PSI

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Coleman used to have a 12V small portable compressor for less than $50. May still be available? O.T. Was a piston-type, capable of 160 psi and took forever to blow-up an air mattress. (Yes, blow-up as in explode if you weren't paying attention.) Then the diaphram-type portable pumps came along- only good for ~5psi (I think) but still capable of blowing-up a mattress. Now I use a centrifugal one which takes seconds, and has significantly cut my replacement air mattress purchases. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used one (I think it is a 9 gallon) for raising the pressure in my tires when I'm racing. I've had it for almost five years, and I'd suggest getting at least a 7 gallon model, if not a 9 or 10 gallon. I've been very pleased with mine.

-Keith

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a 9 gallon that I fill from the giant compressor in my garage, so it's portable. It will fill up about 1 tire. I suggest you look at Harbor Freight for an actual compressor, you'll be much happier. Taking it to the gas station is a major pain in the a**.

rodfran

Enlightened
I agree with BatteryCharger. I have an air compressor and a couple of tanks.
The larger tanks are heavy and would be a pain to lug to the gas station.

I would go with a compressor and a portable tank.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those and it is handy for adjsuting the tire pressure on our 2 cars and 2 bikes. I used to fill the tank at the gas station until it was no longer free. Then I got a couple of cheap compressors from WalMart. The $10 DC one was crappy but the $40 A/C one will fill the tank pretty easily if I let it run a while.

I recommend you fill it at the gas station unless that gets tiresome, then get a cheap A/C compressor.