Modding Pelican dive lights with luxeon(s) ?

nexro

Enlightened
Anybody tried modding any Pelican dive lights to use luxeons instead of the regular bulb?

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most dive lights have no way to get the heat out from the die to the surroundings since the housing is usually some type of plastic. This would make them poor candidates for Luxeon mods. Unless of course you were to underdrive but most mods involve overdrive instead.

Darell

Flashaholic
OK, I moved the thread here. Might help.

I agree with CM here. I see no good way of creating a high-brightness Luxeon light in an existing plastic housing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I believe that the Pelican SabreLite LED uses at least a 1w luxeon. It's rated to 500 feet.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
UKE has LED dive lights. C4 with a 5W, I think. Not sure how good it is.

Wait. Here you go. There's also an 8 cell version.

nexro

Enlightened
Thanks Darell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And thanks for those links!
Will get on to look at those UKE lights.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I have the UK eLED module for the C4 & C8.

The module has a 5W Luxeon SE in a large reflector with a faceted surface. It produces a reasonably smooth, wide-spot beam (a large spot with decent throw and minimal spill).

There are 2 brightness modes. It appears the module uses a buck converter and only operates in DD mode on high in the C4; so it is quite a bit brighter on high when driven by 8 cells.

Don't know if there is any thermal regulation or protection in the driver circuit, but I have used mine both in and out of the water without problems.

Aloha, iG