Coast-branded LEDs at Fry's

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Coast-branded LEDs at Fry\'s

Coast has put some 5mm 15-degree LEDs on the shelves at Fry's.

The specs are confusing - they claim 30mA typical current and 100mA peak current, but their 10k mcd output is more in line with a typical 20mA LED.

I'm not interested in them, but almost anything has to be better than Frys' Linrose house brand.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Coast-branded LEDs at Fry\'s

I did a service call this morning for cash...

So I did what any self respecting flashaholic would do, and went to Frys (with a pretty darn good selection of neat things!).

I grabbed two of the "white" "high output - high intensity" LEDs.

On two Lith AA (the most conveinient way to test at this moment) one has a most superb beam, and one has splotcky artifacts. Neither are particularly bright, nor white.

>whips out an ARC AAA to compare<

Arc is more intense (tighter) and ever so slightly whiter. The boost circuit in the ARC is something else!
The LED in the ARC is less smooth than the lesser of the Coast LEDs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

This Coast LED says 5V 100MA. Is it safe to hit with 3N or even 3AA??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

Because no brighter than this in a 2AA package is SMOKED by an Opalec or even a Dorcy AAA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

And if it ain't safe to hit without a resitor or something, I'm back to square one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I traded a Coast LED into a 3N modded S&W 2AA that HAD a Linrose Green LED. It has not shown any sign of distress as of yet.

It should be a hoot around here when it gets fully dark!

raggie33

*the raggedier*

a frys opened here my dad says it is the best electrincs store.they had some insane sales

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Either because my eyes "see" green better, or the green Linrose was brighter, the S&W looked brighter green.

5MM LEDs don't respond all that well to reflectors. I can get a pretty wide smooth beam with a secondary outer ring with reflector, a center beam tapering off smoothly without.

In the near total darkness in my room, it was quite enough light. I need to try the 2 Liths again, for it would certainly have longer life than 3N.

Should I try 3AA or am I asking for trouble?

And yes, Frys is quite awesome! On some lights they are WAY expensive. I guess that goes for some other stuff too. But by and large I always don't get everything that catches my fancy on a trip up there!

I did get one other really neat item today. An 8AA holder that's not a lot bigger than the batteries. It has a rubberish interior, and is built along the lines of a Pelican case.