Windows Service Pack 2

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Wellll...I filled out the form on Microsoft's site for my SP2 CD (it's available here for free) a couple days ago and WOW...it arrived today! (It's a HUGE download and I have broadband, therefore ordering the CD is the way to go!)

Went ahead and did a "This is NOT rocket science" install and so far - no problems (knock on artificial wood or particle board!).

Reading on Kim Komando's site...it seems to be running fairly well so far, though some are having conflicts.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
(It's a HUGE download and I have broadband...CD is the way to go)

[/ QUOTE ]

Typo?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
What? I'm confused...I'm saying that even with broadband, it's a rather large download and takes awhile. I started to download it and decided I'd be better off getting the CD (as I did with SP1).

If you can afford the download time and hard drive space, then don't order the CD.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm.... I have an 802.11b connection and it took maybe 10 minutes or so to download for me.

I thought it might have been a typo because so many dial-up users say downloading SP2 takes forever, and I was surprised to hear that from somebody with broadband.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Installed it, too, and no problems so far, not even with stranger software. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
bernhard

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hmmm, maybe I had a bad connection that night? It happens sometimes...Seems something causes things to slow down here and there...sometimes after I reboot or just wait a little while, things speed up again. Hey - we're all the way up here in the cold north country...just can't keep those dogs mushing fast enough! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10 minutes?! I've only got 512, they keep wanting me to pay more to double it up...then they end up increasing the speed for free as they increase the speed of their top end package. I'll take the free speed increases (well it still costs me $40/mo).

Oh well...it's a done deal with me now.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:

10 minutes?! I've only got 512...

[/ QUOTE ]

That could have been it. I have 4mbps, but with the wireless it is more or less 3mbps. Sometimes the Microsoft servers were really busy, and it's possible you just hit a peak time. Nevertheless, I am glad everything worked out for you and you have SP2 up and running.

DLG

Newly Enlightened
Installed SP2 about 2 weeks ago via broadband connection. From start to finish about 30 minutes. If I remember correctly, the download was about 100MB.

GeoffChan

Enlightened
my copy of Service pack 2 was about 280mb.

I've noticed that my p2p programs don't work properly and the Microsoft firewall is extremely annoying.

Geoff

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this for XP only? Or do I need it for my 2000?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
7 days no problems. Downloaded via dial-up. Started at 8AM then checked back at 1PM and it was done. The pop-up blocker has worked very well.

Sig., Thanks for the link. I ordered it as I need to install it on another machine and you know that reinstall is just a blue screen away.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Downloaded via Broadband; had it installed for a week now and no issues. Maybe it is even doing cool things behind the scenes (or evil things). Can't tell. It recognized my other firewall and bowed-out nicely. So far so good...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Rick,

I have heard that there are several conflicts with SP2 and have been advised to hold off a couple of months before installing it.

On the other hand, it seems that several people have had little to no problems with it...

Tom

Spudman

Enlightened
I got a blue screen with a lot of text after a day with it installed. My friendly overseas tech support suggested I uninstall SP2. I didn't think that would help, but I did it and I can boot up again. I believe I'll have to wait a while before reinstalling it.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
tick, tick, tick...a little over 24 hours and still running strong. Is it my imagination or what...my system "seems" to be a little faster?!'

Maybe it's like putting that chrome radiator cap on the radiator that makes my truck run faster? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, after first installing sp2 successfully on my bro's computer ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), I did the same on mine and now it can't boot anymore. It just gets stuck right after the welcome screen.
I uninstalled it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, mostly by the smug Linux brigade.

Im using Win2k Pro, ive had less than 5 crashes in the 3 years ive been running it.